BPB drop from an aircraft

robinbird

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anyone know any thing about the secret trial of dropping a boom patrol boat from an aircraft ? It was at the end of the war and a Lancaster was used.The trial was inconjuntion with the Royal Navy spec ops. AFEE dropped a Wellman one man sub in 1949 using a large cluster of parachutes. The trial was without anyone in the one man sub. I wonder if AFEE also did the BPB drop, it would seem likely

This is a new craft on me so piqued my curiosity. Did a quick Google. Have you come across these pages?
And scroll down this page for a photo of a 617 squadron (?) Lancaster dropping one.

And footage of the 1945 trial itself using 3x96ft parachutes.

If 617 squadron were involved then I think it was probably in 1943 after the Dams Raid while they were looking for a role, and before Cheshire took over as CO in Nov. In 1945 they were busy dropping Tallboys and Grand Slams and then preparing to go to the Far East. I don’t recall anything in the ORB to suggest anything like this between May and Sept 1945. But if it was hush hush who knows.

Thank you for feedback. Boom Boat drop not AFEE then. Interestingly, MAEE Helensburgh conducted a trial round the same time of a human torpedo drop from a Short Sunderland. This was to do with Tirpitz and RN special ops but such an attack never went ahead

The RN chose Operation Title to transport 2 Chariots to Norway in a fishing boat in Oct 1942 to attack Tirpitz while she had temporarily moved south. The final part of the journey saw them towed underwater by the boat to Trondheim Fjord. Unfortunately they were washed off the bottom in some bad weather and the attack failed.

With the return of Tirpitz north, attention switched to the X craft midget subs. That base would have been beyond the range of the Sunderland.

from Robert W. Hobson, Chariots of War, Ulric Publishing, 2004

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1652981133741.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652981133741.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1652981138301.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652981138301.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1652981141390.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652981141390.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Chariots of War 1.jpg
    Chariots of War 1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Cheers. One of the batch of the Sunderlands reserved for this mission, ex JM715, still exists converted as a commercial flying boat at Solent Museum. Its past not obvious, still secret

Last edited:
The Sandringham flying boat, ex JM715, had an eventful life commercially before retirement at the Solent Museum. How interesting it would be if it was converted back to JM715 spec fitted with chariots. If not, an illustration of its secret history

Last edited: