Bogus aircraft names?

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I started doing my first aircraft lists round the tender age of 6.

For many, many years, certain aircraft had no names other than their designations, and no books or documents of any kind seemed to mention any, nor even allude to company-given names that the armed services might not have wished to use.

Now it seems like every other month there's a name popping out of nowhere to designate previously unchristened aircraft.

Here's a list of names that have appeared over the past decades and the programs that they supposedly refer to:

AIRARATTLER .......... Bell XP-83
STARBUSTER ........... Bell X-2
INTERCEPTOR .......... Bell X-5
SUPERBOMBER ......... Boeing XB-15
DUCK ..................... Cessna O-2
DART ..................... Convair XF-92
RAIDMASTER ........... Douglas XB-31 project
SKYFLASH .............. Douglas D-684 project ("D-558-3")
RISING STAR .......... Lockheed XFV-1
SUPER STAR ............ Lockheed XF-90
WARNING STAR ....... Lockheed W2V-1 project
MOONBAT ............... McDonnell XP-67
ULTRABOLT ............. Republic XP-72
THUNDERWARRIOR .... Republic XF-103

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Inasmuch as I would LOVE for them to be true, I would appreciate to see documented evidence that all or part of these monickers were either inhouse names or at least considered at some point or other for the said aircraft. At the moment, it seems to me like they are more marketing devices for companies of resin scale models to sell their items on the web than genuinely documented names! Does anyone on this forum have that kind of evidence? If so, I'm willing to see it!

Skyflash and Navy Vertical Risers

Both Skyflash and D-558-3 are bogus. Douglas did not use either of these terms in its proposal in the competition for the X-15 program. In any event, "Skyflash" could only have become official if Douglas had won the competition and X-15 was predetermined.

As for the Navy vertical risers, you can see for yourself:

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 552
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 485
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 475
So Rising Star WAS Lockheed's chosen name, and Pogo-Dart was Convair's? (the latter comes as a real surprise to me, I'd never ever seen it)Brilliant! Thanks a lot for these precious documents, TT!

"Angel" and "Cygnus" were inhouse names for the programs, but as to whether they actually designated the aircraft themselves remains to be seen...

Moonbat and "The Bat" were unofficial McDonnell names to be sure. The FY-1 was named "Pogo" by Convair, but seems to have stuck and "Salmon" was used after the testing of the FV-1 was finished, to honour the pilot, Herman "Fish" Salmon.

Other nicknames I liked were for the XF-107, the Ultra Sabre and the Super Super Sabre.

A good source for nicknames and associates is
'The Grub Street Dictonary of International Aircraft
Nicknames,Variants and Colloquial Terms,

by John Horton-Brub Street.London.1994

I think ULTRA SABRE was legit... but I must admit that it's pretty difficult to distinguish between the wheat and the chaff... I mean, the officially applied names, the company-only names, the pilot nicknames and the inventions of either the press or the scale model companies... Here is what I have for Pursuit and Fighter types; bold type indicates names that appear to have been official, italics indicate company-only names, while quotes indicate nicknames or popular names (if I made mistakes, please correct them)...

P-for Pursuit names:

Curtiss P-1 Hawk
Curtiss P-2 Hawk
Curtiss P-3 Hawk
Curtiss P-5 Super Hawk
Curtiss P-6 Hawk
Curtiss P-11 Hawk
T.-Morse P-13 Viper
Curtiss P-17 Hawk
Curtiss P-20 Hawk
Curtiss P-21 Hawk
Curtiss P-22 Hawk
Curtiss P-23 Hawk
Boeing P-26 Peashooter (probably a nickname that became official)
Curtiss P-31 Swift
Seversky P-35 Guardsman (name of AT-12, not officially applied to P-35)
Curtiss P-36 Hawk, Mohawk (export version)
Curtiss P-37 Hawk (company name of series, not officially applied)
Lockheed P-38 Lightning
Bell P-39 Airacobra
Curtiss P-40 Hawk (prototype), Tomahawk, Kittyhawk (UK export versions), Warhawk (US version)
Curtiss P-42 Hawk (company name of series, not officially applied)
Republic P-43 Lancer
Republic P-44 Rocket, Warrior (company names, project cancelled)
Bell P-45 Airacobra (became P-39C)
Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, Super Thunderbolt (P-47Q = P-72)
Lockheed P-49 Lightning
Grumman P-50 Skyrocket (company name, sometimes found as Tomcat)
N. American P-51 Mustang
Vultee P-54 Swoose Goose (probably a nickname that became official)
Curtiss P-55 Ascender
Northrop P-56 Bullet ("Black Bullet" and "Silver Bullet" MAY have refered to both prototypes)
Lockheed P-58 Chain Lightning
Bell P-59 Airacomet
Northrop P-61 Black Widow
Bell P-63 Kingcobra, "Pinball" (RP-63A/C)
Grumman P-65 Tigercat (company name, program cancelled)
Vultee P-66 Vanguard
McDonnell P-67 Bat OR Moonbat (company name only)
Vultee P-68 Tornado
Douglas P-70 Havoc, "Night Hawk", "Night Havoc", "Midnight Mauler" (was any of these official at all?)
Republic P-72 Super Thunderbolt, "Ultrabolt", "Superbolt"
Fisher Body P-75 Eagle
Bell P-76 Airacobra (sometimes refered to as "Advanced Airacobra")
N. American P-78 Mustang
Northrop P-79 Ram Wing (XP-79, unofficial name), Flying Ram (XP-79B)
Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star
Con.-Vultee P-81 Propjet (company name?) , "Duplex", "Silver Bullet", "Grey Ghost"
N. American P-82 Twin Mustang
Bell P-83 Airarattler (company name?)
Republic P-84 Thunderjet, Thunderstreak (former F-96), Thunderflash (RF-), Thunderscreech (former F-106)
McDonnell P-85 Goblin
N. American P-86 Sabre, Sabre Dog (former F-95), Silver Charger (company name for prototype), Sabre Jet (initial company name for model)
Curtiss P-87 Blackhawk, Nighthawk (origin unknown, unconfirmed)
McDonnell P-88 Voodoo
Northrop P-89 Scorpion
Lockheed P-90 Super Star (perhaps company name)
Republic P-91 Thunderceptor
Convair P-92 Dart (company name, probably for the canceled XP-92 only)

(latter part of list was of course redesignated in the F- series)

F- for Fighter names:

N. American F-93 Sabre
Lockheed F-94 Starfire (applied only to former F-97 = F-94C)
N. American F-95 Sabre Dog (became F-86D)
Republic F-96 Thunderstreak (became F-84F)
Lockheed F-97 Starfire (became F-94C)
Boeing F-99 Bomarc (became XIM-99)
N. American F-100 Super Sabre
McDonnell F-101 Voodoo
Convair F-102 Delta Dagger
Republic F-103 Thunderwarrior (company name?)
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Republic F-105 Thunderchief
Republic F-106 Thunderscreech (redesignated as XF-84H, number reallocated)
Convair F-106 Delta Dart
N. American F-107 Ultra Sabre (company name, probably not officialized)
N. American F-108 Rapier
McDonnell F-110 Spectre (became F-4C Phantom II)
G. Dynamics F-111 Raven (EF-111 only), Aardvark (a nickname that became official), "Switchblade", "Pig" (all nicknames)

FM- for Fighter Multiplace

Bell FM-1 Airacuda

F-prefix for Fighter (Navy)

Brewster F2A Buffalo (export versions only)
Brewster F3A Corsair (cancelled, company name was Battler)
Boeing F3B Seahawk
Curtiss-Hall F4C "Iron Duke"
Curtiss F6C Hawk
Curtiss F7C Seahawk
Curtiss F8C Falcon (F8C-1), Helldiver (F8C-4/-6)
Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk
Curtiss F12C Helldiver
Curtiss F13C "Mystery Fighter"
Curtiss F15C "Stingaree"
Douglas F3D Skyknight
Douglas F4D Skyray
Douglas F5D Skylancer
Douglas F6D Missileer
Grumman FF "Fifi"
Grumman F4F Wildcat
Grumman F5F Skyrocket (sometimes appears as the Tomcat)
Grumman F6F Hellcat
Grumman F7F Tigercat
Grumman F8F Bearcat
Grumman F9F Panther (F9F-2/-5), Cougar (F9F-6/-8)
Grumman F10F Jaguar
Grumman F11F Tiger, Super Tiger (F11F-1F)
Eberhart FG Comanche
Eberhart F2G Comanche
Goodyear FG Corsair
Goodyear F2G Corsair
McDonnell FH Phantom (initially designated as FD)
McDonnell F2H Banshee (initially designated as F2D)
McDonnell F3H Demon
McDonnell F4H Phantom II
N. American FJ Fury
Bell FL Airabonita
Bell F2L Airacomet
G. Motors FM Wildcat (also cancelled F3M)
Lockheed FO Lightning
Lockheed FO Rising Star (delivered as FV)
Ryan FR Fireball
Ryan F2R Darkshark
Ryan F3R Vertijet (cancelled)
Supermarine FS Spitfire (cancelled)
Northrop F2T Black Widow
Vought F4U Corsair
Vought F5U Flying Flapjack, "Flying Pancake"
Vought F6U Pirate
Vought F7U Cutlass
Vought F8U Crusader
Can. Vickers FV Wildcat (cancelled)
Lockheed FV Rising Star, "Vertical Riser", "Salmon"
Wright F2W Tornado-Experimental
Convair FY Pogo-Dart, "Pogo Stick", "Pogo"
Convair F2Y Sea Dart, "Skate" (was also company name of a derivative project)

F- for Fighter (2nd series)

N. American F-1 Fury
McDonnell F-2 Banshee
McDonnell F-3 Demon
McDonnell F-4 Phantom II
Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter, Tiger (F-5E), Tigershark (F-5G = F-20)
Douglas F-6 Skyray
Convair F-7 Sea Dart
Vought F-8 Crusader
Grumman F-9 Cougar
Douglas F-10 Skyknight
Grumman F-11 Tiger
Lockheed F-12 "Blackbird" (apparently not official on this version), "The Thing"
Grumman F-14 Tomcat
McD.D. F-15 Eagle, Strike Eagle (F-15E), Slam Eagle (export version)
G. Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon, "Viper" (more used than official name), Condor (Belgium), "Scamp" (F-16XL)
Northrop F-17 Cobra
McD.D. F-18 Hornet / Super Hornet
Northrop F-20 Tigershark (formerly F-5G)
I.A.I. F-21 Kfir (original Israeli name), "Lion" (translation of original name)
Lockheed/Boeing F-22 Raptor, Rapier (company name for prototypes)
Northrop F-23 Black Widow II, Grey Ghost (company name of one prototype)
Lockheed M. F-35 Lightning II

Interesting topic - thanks for getting it going. I inherited a set of WWII era aviation yearbooks and the 1940 edition references the Martin B-26 as the "Martian" and not as the "Marauder". All the other editions reference it as the "Marauder" Anyone else here of the "Martian" moniker?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

The Martin Martian?? ??? ??? ???
Wow! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds like
200px-Marvinthemartain.jpg
, perhaps
images
, perhaps even
MyFavoriteMartian.jpg
, but definitely not like
images
!!!

Glad they changed the name quickly!

Actually I think THUNDERWARRIOR is one of the true company-given names, but we'd need documents to back it up.

Still don't know if the XB-15 was the SUPERBOMBER for Boeing or the Army at some point, but here is something interesting I came across in the March 1938 issue of Mechanix Illustrated. Seems like the pilots didn't wait for official names to invent their own... and also that some of them stuck for good...

Attachments

• XB-15 Flying Fortress.jpg
    XB-15 Flying Fortress.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 58
The validity of the F2L "Airacomet" is dubious to me. This suggests that the Navy designated its P-59s as F2Ls. I haven't seen any documentation for that although it is a possibility. However, everything Navy (e.g., list of first jet pilots) concerning the Airacomet that I've seen uses P-59. When BuNo 63960 was repainted by the Navy (see picture), the designation painted on it was YP59-A. (Yes, the dash is in the wrong place.)

The Navy History Center is not without fault. Its list of Bureau Numbers has those for the L-39s listed as canceled P-63s and identifies them as XF2Ls.

F2L does seem to have been used by the Navy for a couple of remote control P-39s, as in F2L-1K.

There was reportedly a crash of an F2L in 1946. I have asked the Navy History Center for a copy of the crash report.

Attachments

• YP-59A USN.jpg
    YP-59A USN.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 452
hi Tailspin Turtle

i read in "Wikipedia"
Bell YF 2 L1 : two "yp 59 a" serial 48-108778 and 779
loan by USAF to Navy for landing on flight deck trials ??
Bye

Mark Nankivil said:
Interesting topic - thanks for getting it going. I inherited a set of WWII era aviation yearbooks and the 1940 edition references the Martin B-26 as the "Martian" and not as the "Marauder". All the other editions reference it as the "Marauder" Anyone else here of the "Martian" moniker?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

The British immediately asked for 459 of the new bombers, giving them the name Marauder. Although the RAF did not receive any Marauders until 1942, this name stuck, in preference to the Martin Company's proposed "Martian".

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=SMIpAQAAIAAJ&q=martin+marauder+martian&dq=martin+marauder+martian&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rwUbT_jwJMaUiQeX2vHXCw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBw

I've corrected a few mistakes or omissions in the above list.

Today, onto bombers:

Huff-Daland HB-1 Cyclops

Huff-Daland LB-1 Pegasus
Huff-Daland LB-3 Pirate
Huff-Daland LB-5 Pirate
Keystone LB-6 Panther
Keystone LB-7 Panther
Keystone LB-8 Panther
Keystone LB-9 Panther
Keystone LB-10 Panther
Keystone LB-11 Panther
Keystone LB-12 Panther
Keystone LB-13 Panther
Keystone LB-14 Panther

Keystone B-1 Super Cyclops
Curtiss B-2 Condor
Keystone B-3 Panther
Keystone B-4 Panther
Keystone B-5 Panther
Keystone B-6 Panther
Martin B-10 "Martin Bomber"
Martin B-12 "Martin Bomber"
Martin B-13 "Martin Bomber"
Martin B-14 "Martin Bomber"
Boeing B-15 "Superbomber", "Flying Fortress"
Boeing B-17 Fortress (UK name), Flying Fortress (nickname which became official in the US)
Douglas B-18 Bolo (US), Digby (UK)
Douglas B-19 "Hemisphere Bomber", "Hemisphere Defender"
North American B-21 Dragon
Douglas B-22 Bolo
Douglas B-23 Dragon
Consolidated B-24 Liberator
North American B-25 Mitchell
Martin B-26 Marauder (UK name which was prefered to initial company name Martian)
North American B-28 "Dragon"? (probably a confusion with the B-21)
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Lockheed B-30 Bomber Constellation
Douglas B-31 Raidmaster? (possibly a much later invention)
Consolidated B-32 Terminator (initial company name), Dominator (production)
Martin B-33 Super Marauder
Lockheed B-34 Ventura
Northrop B-35 "Flying Wing"
Convair B-36 Peacemaker, Crusader (NB-36H only)
Lockheed B-37 Ventura, Lexington (UK variant)
Vega B-38 Flying Fortress
Fisher Body B-39 Superfortress
Boeing B-40 Flying Fortress, "Flak Cruiser"
Convair B-41 "Liberator Fighter"
Douglas B-42 Mixmaster
Douglas B-43 Jetmaster
Boeing B-44 Superfortress
North American B-45 Tornado
Boeing B-47 Stratojet
Northrop B-49 "Flying Wing"
Boeing B-50 Superfortress
Martin B-51 Panther, Dragon? (recently claimed as real company name)
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-54 Superfortress
Boeing B-55 Stratojet
Boeing B-56 Stratojet
Martin B-57 Canberra (British name that was later adopted), "Intruder", Night Intruder (some B-57Bs)
Convair B-58 Hustler
Convair B-60 Jet Peacemaker
Martin B-61 Matador
Northrop B-62 Snark
Bell B-63 Rascal
North American B-64 Navaho
Convair B-65 Atlas
Douglas B-66 Destroyer, Weather Destroyer (WB-66D only)
Radioplane B-67 Crossbow
Lockheed B-69 Neptune
North American B-70 Valkyrie

Rockwell B-1 Excalibur (B-1A, never used as it was considered laughable), Lancer (B-1B only)
Northrop B-2 Spirit, "Stealth Bomber"

toura said:
hi Tailspin Turtle

i read in "Wikipedia"
Bell YF 2 L1 : two "yp 59 a" serial 48-108778 and 779
loan by USAF to Navy for landing on flight deck trials ??
Bye

Close - it would have been the Army at that time, these were the two YP-59As provided to the Navy, and there certainly was an expectation of a shore-based deck landing evaluation. For more, see http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-was-bell-aircraft-f2l.html

Andreas Parsch said:
Small nitpick ;) ...
Only the SM-68 missile was called Titan, but not the XB-68 bomber.

Agreed! I'm removing this one right away... ::)

In the 18 years I spent at Grumman, including a fair amount of time poking through their fine History Center, I never saw any reference to the XF5F as the "Tomcat" - I think that's wishful thinking.

And regarding the folks down the road in Farmingdale, I'm pretty certain that none of the names "Thunderscreech", "Thunderceptor" or "Thunderwarrior" were ever applied officially. Maybe if any of those types had entered production? (I once heard one Republic guy refer to their last design, the T-46, as the "Thunderchicken"! His creation, undoubtedly.)

And the "Peacemaker" name for the B-36 was never official. (Personally, I think that "Peacekeeper" would have been a better name.)

gatoraptor said:
In the 18 years I spent at Grumman, including a fair amount of time poking through their fine History Center, I never saw any reference to the XF5F as the "Tomcat" - I think that's wishful thinking.

And regarding the folks down the road in Farmingdale, I'm pretty certain that none of the names "Thunderscreech", "Thunderceptor" or "Thunderwarrior" were ever applied officially. Maybe if any of those types had entered production? (I once heard one Republic guy refer to their last design, the T-46, as the "Thunderchicken"! His creation, undoubtedly.)

And the "Peacemaker" name for the B-36 was never official. (Personally, I think that "Peacekeeper" would have been a better name.)

The F5F was not called the Tomcat, it is said to have been the Skyrocket. The name was chosen by the Navy in 1942 when they attempted to give names to all their aircraft (many of which were pretty goofy) and only this one and a couple of others stuck. "Tomcat" may have been Grumman's initial inhouse name for the design, since it has been quoted for the XP-50, and would be in line with the naming every Grumman fighter of the time. But as you said, there is a difference between the promotional use of a name by a company in the hope that it will be used, and the really thereof. "Thunderscreech" was probably no more than a nickname by the Air Force crew that stuck. Thunderceptor seems pretty legit as a Republic-given name. "Thunderwarrior", on the other hand, is pretty dubious since it seems to have emerged only in recent years and was never quoted in period sources of any kind.

"Thunderchicken"?? Never heard that one! The T-46 is said to have been called the Eaglet, but again that name doesn't appear on any known source. However, it could partly explain why the Republic workers used to refer to the aircraft as the "Thunder Piglet".

As for the name Peacemaker, there is no doubt that it was not Convair's, and that it was never applied to the prototype or the earliest versions. However I seem to recall the USAF assigned it officially to the later ones. Could anyone confirm that??

"Bone" (B-1) and "Viper" (F-16) are strictly nicknames given by the crews and have never been official at any given time...

Going through the early 1950s Aircraft Recognition Manuals published by the US Department of Defense (comiled from the Army's FM 30-30, Air Force's AFM 50-40, and Navy's OPNAV 32P-1200 documents) I picked up a few very interesting elements:
  • The B-17 was always called the Fortress, plain and simple. Yet most often, people use "Flying Fortress", which never was official.
  • The B-50 and RB-50 were not officially designated the Superfortress, contrary to the B-29, but the Superbomber.
  • The XF-91 was quite officially designated the Thunderceptor, which contradicts the notion that this may have been just an inhouse name.
  • The name Starfire, introduced on the F-94C, seems to have been used for all versions of the F-94 retroactively.
  • The "XF-102" (in fact YF-102) was not called the Delta Dagger, but the Machete.
  • The RB-45 had a very unusual but interesting official name: it was called the Flying Cartographer!
  • Not all transport Beechcraft 18s were called Expediters. The C-45A was called the Voyager, as was the Navy's JRB.
  • The C-47F and R4D-8 were initially called Super DC-3 like the civilian version, the acquired the name Super Skytrain.
  • Contrary to what has often been written, the C-119 was officially called the Packet, like the C-82, and NOT the Flying Boxcar.
  • The L-23 was first designated the Twin-Bonanza, its civilian monicker, before acquiring the name Seminole.
  • The Kaman YH-22 and HTK actually had an official name: they were called the Explorer.
  • The Navy's PO-1W was called, more or less officially, the Flying Laboratory.

It's time for yours truly to come clean. In my book X-FIGHTERS: Experimental and Prototype USAF Jet Fighters, XP-59 to YF-23 that was published by Motorbooks International (MBI) in 1991 I coined the names Airarattler for the XP-83 and Thunderwarrior for the XF-103. Those two bogus nicknames seemed appropriate but I did put those names in quotation marks to indicate that they were not OFFICIAL nicknames for those aircraft. I hope this part of the aircraft bogus names mystery can now be put to rest. It was 'innocent' at the time so please don't judge me too harsely. -Steve Pace

I just figured since the F-105 was the chief the lower numbered F-103 should be a warrior. My bad -SP

UH-1 is universally known as the Huey even though it's official name is Iroquois. I have never heard or seen it called by it's official name.

Andreas Parsch said:
Loren said:
UH-1 is universally known as the Huey even though it's official name is Iroquois. I have never heard or seen it called by it's official name.
Probably because nobody is really sure how to pronounce "Iroquois" ;) .

I think it should be ee-row-kwah...

I've always heard it pronounced the way it's spelled, except that the last "s" is silent.

And how often have you heard the A-10 referred to as the "Thunderbolt II"? ::)

Probably because nobody is really sure how to pronounce "Iroquois"
'

Actually we have gotten pretty good at Indian pronunciations, I used to live in Cuyahoga County and had no problems with it.

The proper pronunciation is er-ra-quoi and yes the S is silent. I flew them for 5 years and the only things we ever called them were Huey or Slicks.

Stargazer2006 said:
Andreas Parsch said:
Loren said:
Probably because nobody is really sure how to pronounce "Iroquois" ;) .

I remember living in Southampton near a place called "Beauvois Valley". Following my schoolboy French I pronounced it roughly like "beau-voir". To locals, it was "Beevis". Its not always obvious how words will be pronounced by the locals.

The following five pages are taken from:

Aircraft Recognition Manual
SUPPLEMENT NO. 5
JUNE 1954

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY FM 30-30
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY OPNAV 32P-1200/5
DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE AFM 50-40E

I have indicated in red those designations and/or names which deserve some attention.
I will comment briefly below as to why:

BOMBER
  • B-36/RB-36. Interestingly the name "PEACEMAKER" is NOT associated to it.
  • YB-60. No name associated to this version ("JET PEACEMAKER" was never official).
  • RB-45. Interestingly, the name TORNADO was replaced here by the unusual FLYING CARTOGRAPHER.
  • YB-49/YRB-49. The name FLYING WING was officially allocated.
  • B-50/RB-50/TB-50. Clearly this has a distinct name from the B-29, it is called SUPERBOMBER.
  • WV-2. The name SUPER-CONSTELLATION was also allocated here, NOT "WARNING STAR".
  • B-57/RB-57A. The original British name CANBERRA was officially allocated by USA.
  • RB-66. Surprisingly this appears as the SKYWARRIOR and NOT as the "DESTROYER".
  • ZA-25. The type was still in the roster in 1954, but as the HELLDIVER, and NOT the "SHRIKE".
  • A3D. Probably the most uncanny discovery in this document, a version was to be designated P2D!
  • A2U. The designation for the attack variant of the CUTLASS was quite official.
  • WU. The designation was officially allocated before the type was cancelled.
FIGHTER
  • F-94/RF-94. The name STARFIRE was applied to EVERY variant, not just the F-94C.
  • XF-90. No official name allocated.
  • XF-92. No official name allocated.
  • XF-93. No official name allocated, not even "SABRE." Interestingly, the type was actually designated YF-93.
  • F-102. The initial name officially assigned to the type was MACHETE, and NOT "DELTA DAGGER"!
  • XF-103. No official name allocated (the name "THUNDERWARRIOR" is sometimes quoted as a company monicker).
  • XF-104. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the STARFIGHTER).
  • XF-105. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the THUNDERCHIEF).
  • XF5D. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the SKYLANCER).
  • XF8U. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the CRUSADER).
  • FO. No official name allocated ("SALMON" was only a nickname). Redesignation as FV overlooked. Interestingly, no "X" added.
  • XFY. No official name allocated (the company name POGO-DART was rejected, POGO or POGO-STICK were just nicknames).
TRANSPORT
  • C-45. The name VOYAGER continued to be given to certain variants, not just EXPEDITOR.
  • C-47F/R4D-8. Surprisingly the company designation SUPER DC-3 was adopted as an official name here!
  • XC-120. The USAF apparently prefered the usual PACKET instead of the company name "PACK PLANE."
  • XC-128. Oddly this cancelled variant of the C-119 did not receive the name "PACKET."
  • YC-130. No official name allocated at that stage (it soon became the HERCULES).
  • C-132. No official name allocated.
TRAINER
  • T-28. No official name allocated at that stage (it soon became the TROJAN).
  • T-29. No official name allocated at that stage (it soon became the FLYING CLASSROOM).
  • T-33/TV-2. The name SHOOTING STAR was also officially associated to the trainer variant.
  • T-36. No official name allocated.
  • XT-37. No official name allocated at that stage. Amusingly, this is repeated twice, with the MITCHELL name on the wrong line!
  • N3N. The name YELLOW PERIL was official and not just a nickname (the quoted "CANARY" is wrong).
  • TF (S2F). No official name allocated at that stage (it later became the TRACKER).
LIAISON AND UTILITY
  • L-13. No official name allocated.
  • L-21. No official name allocated (the name "SUPER CUB" was only a company name).
  • L-24. No official name allocated (the name "COURIER" was a company name).
  • XL-25 (XV-1). No official name allocated (the name "CONVERTIPLANE" was not official).
HELICOPTER
  • H-4B/HNS. No official name allocated (the name "HOVERFLY" was only given by the British).
  • H-5/HO3S. No official name allocated (the name "DRAGONFLY" was only given by the British).
  • H-13/HTL. No official name allocated at that stage (it later became the RANGER and SIOUX).
  • XH-16. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the TRANSPORTER).
  • XH-17. No official name allocated (despite its sometimes being called the "FLYING CRANE").
  • H-19/HRS/HO4S. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the CHICKASAW in Army guise).
  • XH-20. No official name allocated (the company name "LITTLE HENRY" was never official).
  • YH-22/HTK. The little-known name EXPLORER was officially allocated.
  • H-23/HTE. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the RAVEN).
  • H-25/HUP. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the ARMY MULE in Army guise).
  • XH-26. No official name allocated (the names "JET JEEP" and "WHIRLY BIRD" were not official).
  • XH-28. No official name allocated (despite its sometimes being called the "FLYING CRANE").
  • XH-32. No official name allocated (the company name "HORNET" was not official).
  • H-34/XHSS. No official name allocated at that stage (it became the CHOCTAW, SEA BAT and SEAHORSE).
MISCELLANEOUS
  • YG-18. No official name allocated (only when given engines it became the AVITRUC or XC-122).
  • XV-3. No official name allocated (the name "CONVERTIPLANE" was not official).

Attachments

• AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p14a.jpg
    AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p14a.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 187
  • AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p13a.jpg
    AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p13a.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 190
  • AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p12a.jpg
    AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p12a.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 189
  • AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p11a.jpg
    AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p11a.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 192
  • AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p10a.jpg
    AFM 50-40F_1955-01-01_p10a.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 205
The U.S. AIRCRAFT ADDENDA published in SUPPLEMENT N°5 (June 1954) already contained some changes:
  • The Lockheed FO was now officially the XFV-1.
  • The Piasecki YH-16 was now refered to as the TRANSPORTER.
  • The XC-120 was now called the PACKPLANE.
  • The Lockheed PO-1W (an AEW CONSTELLATION) was described as "sometimes called the FLYING LABORATORY."
  • The De Havilland L-20 BEAVER was added.
  • The Hughes XH-17 was called the FLYING CRANE.
  • The Temco BUCKAROO was added and wrongly designated the "YT-33"...
  • The Temco PLEBE is presented as an intended SNJ replacement for the Navy.
  • The Lockheed SEASTAR (not yet called thusly) is designated as the "latest model T-33/TV-3" (NOT T2V-1!)
  • The Fletcher FD-25 DEFENDER appears (photo of a civil example), but nothing is said of a possible U.S. military use.
  • The Boeing 707 prototype appears and is called the STRATOJET, but nothing is said of a possible U.S. military use.
  • The Douglas DC-7 appears, but nothing is said of a possible U.S. military use.
  • The Convair TURBOLINER appears as "a research plane converted from a CONVAIR-LINER", with no details.

Attachments

• TV-3.jpg
    TV-3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DC-7.jpg
    DC-7.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Turbo Liner.jpg
    Turbo Liner.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 707 Stratojet.jpg
    707 Stratojet.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Plebe.jpg
    Plebe.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 31
  • FD-25 DEFENDER.jpg
    FD-25 DEFENDER.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 38
It seems surprising nowadays, but the name MACHETE for the YF-102 stuck quite officially with the YF-102A as late as 1956!

Attachments

• Machete1.jpg
    Machete1.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Machete2.jpg
    Machete2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 68