• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing T-X designation

tigercat2

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Since Boeing has won the T-X contest, any idea on what the designation will be? Perhaps the T-7 following on to the T-6, or perhaps the "pre-1962" system as the T-49 or higher.

Wes W

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Probably T-2020, since that's about the time frame it will operate in and it offers a clear vision of the future for advanced pilots. I wish I was kidding, but the old designation system is about dead. It's now about marketing; T-6 (A reference to the original WW2 NA Texan), the B-21 (not B-3, because it's a bomber for the 21st century), and whatever other programs they've played with the naming convention for better marketing.

tigercat2

Reaction score
Actually the IOC date looks like 2024, with full capability by 2035(!) Why does it take so long for a relatively simple singe engine trainer to come on line?

Wes W

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Do you know the company designation (Model-number) of this bird?

Andreas Parsch

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
tigercat2 said:
Perhaps the T-7 following on to the T-6, or perhaps the "pre-1962" system as the T-49 or higher.
... that would be T-54 or higher.

TomS

Reaction score
tigercat2 said:
Actually the IOC date looks like 2024, with full capability by 2035(!) Why does it take so long for a relatively simple singe engine trainer to come on line?

Wes W
It looks like FOC coincides with the retirement of the T-38, so in this case, full operational capability may refer to having enough aircraft and ground systems to take over the full training workload rather than any specific capability development.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure on the model designation# - Boeing listed it as BTX-1 when applying for the two N#s they have been flying under.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

tigercat2

Reaction score
Andreas Parsch said:
tigercat2 said:
Perhaps the T-7 following on to the T-6, or perhaps the "pre-1962" system as the T-49 or higher.
... that would be T-54 or higher.
If the USAF goes for the post-1962 series, would the next designation be T-7?

Wes W.

TomS

Reaction score
It would be odd for them to revert to the T-7 since they've assigned T-53 more recently. T-6 was the aberration, used to force the nostalgic link between the WW2-era T-6 Texan and the new T-6 Texan II.

I hope we'll see the Boeing TX become the T-54, but I could see them skipping over both T-54 and T-55 to avoid Google collisions with the Soviet tanks.

tigercat2

Reaction score
Brilliant idea; T-21 for the 21st Century. Sort of like the way, way, way out of sequence B-21 for the 21st Century. Too bad that the C-21 was recently used for the Lear, and the F-21 for the Kfir.

Wes W.

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
Hello!

tigercat2 said:
Brilliant idea; T-21 for the 21st Century. Sort of like the way, way, way out of sequence B-21 for the 21st Century. Too bad that the C-21 was recently used for the Lear, and the F-21 for the Kfir.
Comparing the time, when aircraft, like B-52 and T-38 have been intoduced to service, their replacement's should be used during wholed 21st century.

T-38 is till operational, with maiden flight in 1958.
B-52 - as well, with maiden flight in 1952.

Perhaps, modern aircraft should be designed with the provision for service life for a centuries, not decades?
:cool:

tigercat2

Reaction score
Silencer1 said:
Hello!

tigercat2 said:
Comparing the time, when aircraft, like B-52 and T-38 have been intoduced to service, their replacement's should be used during wholed 21st century.

T-38 is till operational, with maiden flight in 1958.
B-52 - as well, with maiden flight in 1952.
or
Perhaps, modern aircraft should be designed with the provision for service life for a centuries, not decades?
:cool:
You are correct; the Boeing T-X will probably be in service for 80% of the 21st century!

Wes W

kcran567

Reaction score
Its amazing to imagine something that looked like it was designed in the 1970's to be flying in the year 2099.

Disappointed. I know it might be "affordable" whatever it ends up ultimately costing, but was hoping for something more innovative and inspirational like the T-38 was when it first appeared.

My guess will be designated T-57/58

AeroFranz

Reaction score
There have been no fundamental changes in the understanding of transonic aerodynamics in the last 50 years. Why would it look different?

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Because fashion.

kcran567

Reaction score
Not just fashion...although looks count for something in aircraft and fighters/trainers?

You're right and I agree...

Yet was just hoping for more inspiration in the design and something more versatile (like the Mako
Heat) something that could have filled other roles like a viable "Red Air" threat. Why not design a future trainer with Aggressor role, training role (currently), and also as an affordable alternative that could be produced in numbers.

I was hoping that affordable manufacturing was going to make a high performance Bird of Prey or Mako Heat type of aircraft. The Bird of Prey was testing low cost manufacture tech itself wasn't it?

Trainer, Red air, and as a "numbers" aircraft that could supplement more expensive. And if stealth is the main focus of US fighter doctrine, why not make the trainer look like it was meant to operate in a 21st century environment.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I very much think that red air is part of what T-X will do. The kind of Red-Air the T-38 embedded in F-22 squadrons do presently: deploy and provide dynamic training at squadron level sparing Raptor flight hours and logistics.
The T-X is build to be easily/cheaply maintained while providing range and dynamics flight hours as suited.

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
We'll see if the Boeing T-X is designated T-4 or T-54 (remember that the T-6 was assigned out of sequence for the T-6 Texan II to honor of T-6 Texan of WW2).

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
It would be odd for them to revert to the T-7 since they've assigned T-53 more recently. T-6 was the aberration, used to force the nostalgic link between the WW2-era T-6 Texan and the new T-6 Texan II.

I hope we'll see the Boeing TX become the T-54, but I could see them skipping over both T-54 and T-55 to avoid Google collisions with the Soviet tanks.
Agree. But skipping over T-54 and T-55 is ridiculous because T-54 and T-55 are tanks (T stands for tanka=tank).