Boeing Starliner

So what next for Starliner? After a successful landing at it’s designated landing zone at White Sands, I wonder what the future is going to be for Starliner, I hope that there is going to be many more missions for Boeing’s capsule.

Hey, just thougt about an innocent joke to piss-off the SpaceX fanboys.
"Hey, did you notice that Starliner lands on solid ground while all Dragon 2 land at sea ? ain't ground landing safer for astronauts, and less expensive ?"
(prepares to be skinned alive)

So what next for Starliner? After a successful landing at it’s designated landing zone at White Sands, I wonder what the future is going to be for Starliner, I hope that there is going to be many more missions for Boeing’s capsule.

Hey, just thougt about an innocent joke to piss-off the SpaceX fanboys.
"Hey, did you notice that Starliner lands on solid ground while all Dragon 2 land at sea ? ain't ground landing safer for astronauts, and less expensive ?"
(prepares to be skinned alive)

I suppose that it is down to the different techniques that the two companies have chosen to use Archibald, SpaceX chose the Apollo route of splash down in the water, whereas Boeing tried the new system of land based landings.

Yet more bad news for the Starliner project.

Boeing disclosed a charge of $93 million in the second quarter for its Starliner astronaut capsule program, bringing the program’s overrun costs to nearly $700 million.

The aerospace giant said the latest charge was “primarily driven by launch manifest updates and additional costs associated with OFT-2,” or Orbital Flight Test 2. The second uncrewed flight of Starliner successfully completed a six-day-long mission in May, reaching a critical test objective – docking with the International Space Station – as Boeing prepares for the capsule to carry astronauts.

Boeing’s latest Starliner-related charge means the company has absorbed $688 million in costs from delays and additional work on the capsule to date.

At NASAspaceflight they say Boeing a) only build two Starliner capsules and b) only has enough Atlas V left to make the NASA flights. Vulcan would need an expensive re-certification or something close, and the way thing go: NASA won't pay for it, and the new space stations customers after them... well they will have. Or fly Soyuz or Dragon 2...
And with the cost overrun plus money pit mentionned above... Starliner future doesn't seem exactly bright. We shall see.

At NASAspaceflight they say Boeing a) only build two Starliner capsules and b) only has enough Atlas V left to make the NASA flights. Vulcan would need an expensive re-certification or something close, and the way thing go: NASA won't pay for it, and the new space stations customers after them... well they will have. Or fly Soyuz or Dragon 2...
And with the cost overrun plus money pit mentionned above... Starliner future doesn't seem exactly bright. We shall see.

I am surprised that the Vulcan rocket has not been modified from the start to take the Starliner capsule. Looks like Starliner is going to be an expensive mistake for Boeing and if they do launch the two capsules that have been built then that will only leave SpaceX and the Dragon capsule for launching astronauts to the International Space Station.

Last edited:
From the link above:
Hardly. Boeing's aerospace business has always has been more "aero" than "space."
What a shame to read that.

120616-F-AC130-9004.JPG

Things are not going good for Starliner

Problem with thruster of Service Module, again Software issue and now rumours that Parachute had problems on flight 2.
delaying the OFT-3 to May/June 2023
There is rumours that OFT-3 will be again unmanned flight.
Boeing is now $900 million over budget on this project.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8EKTFZJfLs

Late posting this.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1585695325280403470

Aerospace Safety Adv Panel is over already but they had a lot to say--too quickly to tweet.
Key takeaways: (1) Starliner OFT-2 met many test obj but also produced a number of in-flight anomalies that need to be worked before CFT, delays to post certification flts seem likely;
View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1587138603573977090

I've heard the Crew Flight Test is definitely not happening in February, or probably even March, but so far NASA has not said anything on the record.
NASA's Kathy Lueders says just now that Boeing could have chosen to "not do a second uncrewed flight" of Starliner. Says that decision was taken by the company's top level of management. It strikes me as wild that NASA would have gone for that, but Kathy was the boss.

View: https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1587143140527542272?cxt=HHwWgMC8rd-R1YYsAAAA

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1588189642708361218

Finally, I would say, from talking to sources that the April date is not particularly firm. It's possible, but far from certain. A summer launch is probably more likely. (cue the humidity jokes)

View: https://twitter.com/boeingspace/status/1597999770823323648

Topping off an incredible year, #Starliner is being honored with a 2022 @PopSci Best of What's New Award.

In May, our spacecraft proved itself ready to carry @NASA_Astronauts to @Space_Station.

Read more about the award here: https://www.boeing.com/features/202...-popular-science-best-of-whats-new-award.page

View: https://twitter.com/boeingspace/status/1597999778024935424

All of #Starliner's flight test objectives were achieved during OFT-2, paving the way for next year's crewed flight! @PopSci #BestOfWhatsNew

By this point a good case could be make that SpaceX & Dragon 2 won by complete K.O against Boeing Starliner. Only the need for a backup is keeping Starliner alive - for NASA. Plus the uncertainities related to its Atlas V - Vulcan transition. Plus the technical glitches and BFR-Starship, no surprise there are doubt Starliner will fly after its NASA missions.

Boeing may be hoping that Musk's current woes may end up clobbering, or at least severely crippling, SpaceX though.

But who is actually calling the shots at SpaceX these day, Musk or Gwynne Shotwell? She seems more than capable of levelling out any of the turbulence spilling over from the Twitter adventure.

There's a new video from TheSpaceBucket about what went wrong with the Strainer:

Close to a decade ago, NASA began funding both SpaceX and Boeing with hopes to help facilitate a U.S. company to reach orbit. In the time since then, SpaceX has had a lot of success with the Dragon Spacecraft while Boeing on the other hand has struggled to keep up. With Starliner’s first crewed mission only months away, it brings up the question of what went wrong.

As of right now, Boeing’s Starliner has stacked up charges of around $900 million due to delays and various issues. This includes $410 million in 2020, $185 million in October 2021, and $288 million through the third quarter of last year. The program while still pushing forward, has continued to run into roadblocks and problems doing the company and spacecraft no favors.

Unfortunately for Boeing and Starliner, these issues are not only affecting current missions but also a lot of future opportunities. For comparison, Boeing’s commercial crew contract that NASA awarded in 2014 includes six post-certification missions. NASA awarded the same amount to SpaceX but has twice added missions to the contract, bringing the total to 14 as of right now. Here I will go more in-depth into Starliner’s history, what exactly went wrong, the future of the spacecraft, and more.

Let's hope for Boeing's sake that the next TestFlight is successful enough to get the company out of NASA's doghouse.

I wonder if Boeing is not generating extra RoI for investors by building project deficits. For once, I would be pleased to hear an accountant pov.

There's a new video from TheSpaceBucket about what went wrong with the Strainer:

Let's hope for Boeing's sake that the next TestFlight is successful enough to get the company out of NASA's doghouse.

It boggles my mind that Boeing, after the system failures of the second unmanned test flight, is going straight to a manned mission!

I just hope, for the astronauts' sake, that there are no other problems that should have been found had they flown a third unmanned test flight.

It boggles my mind that Boeing, after the system failures of the second unmanned test flight, is going straight to a manned mission!

The interesting thing about the first test-flight is that if a crew had been onboard they'd have been able to take action to stop the problems and dock with the ISS.

In hindsight, a crew might have been able to resolve the glitches, but the first flights were intentionally unmanned to avoid risking lives on an unflown system. Another possibility is that crew intervention might hide other failures because they weren't allowed to proceed to a conclusion.

Boeing shouldn't get a crewed mission - just on the principle that the company is so badly managed, nothing they build can be trusted without extensive flight test validation.

However, I could see NASA getting significant administration pressure to diversify beyond SpaceX, as the present admin liked running Twitter and dislikes losing it.

Boeing shouldn't get a crewed mission - just on the principle that the company is so badly managed, nothing they build can be trusted without extensive flight test validation.

However, I could see NASA getting significant administration pressure to diversify beyond SpaceX, as the present admin liked running Twitter and dislikes losing it.

Quite right too, I would not trust Boeing as far as space travel is concerned. If I were an astronaut choosing between SpaceX or Boeing I would go for SpaceX every time.

Quite right too, I would not trust Boeing as far as space travel is concerned. If I were an astronaut choosing between SpaceX or Boeing I would go for SpaceX every time.
And what a turnaround in views that is.

Why invoke the federal government when this is purely down to NASA, the same way that in national security launches it is the USAF who prefers, in fact requires differential launch providers.

TheSpaceBucket has a new update concerning the Starliner:

The Starliner spacecraft has had somewhat of a rough history thanks to various delays, complications, and general problems. While not ideal, Boeing has continued to develop and test the spacecraft in preparation for future crewed missions to the ISS and other low Earth orbit destinations. Only months from now, Starliner is set to attempt its most significant test yet with a crewed flight.

Specifically, scheduled to launch in April this year, Starliner will launch atop ULA’s Atlas V with two crew members aboard and attempt to dock with the International Space Station. The entire mission is only expected to last around a week and is mainly a demonstration of Starliner’s capabilities. This being said, in the past this spacecraft has had a few problems relating to docking with the station.

Back in 2019 during the spacecraft’s first test flight, a mission clock error caused the spacecraft to compute to consume more fuel than planned, precluding a docking with the International Space Station. Something Boeing is trying to ensure they avoid this time around. Here I will go more in-depth into this upcoming test flight, what recent progress has been made, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.

Full article here - https://thespacebucket.com/boeings-st...

Why invoke the federal government when this is purely down to NASA, the same way that in national security launches it is the USAF who prefers, in fact requires differential launch providers.
Ummm... because NASA IS a part of the Federal government?

It certainly is NOT an independent entity... not even as far as the US Postal Service is.

TheSpaceBucket has just out a new video on the status of the upcoming crewed launch of the Strainer:

For around a decade, both NASA and Boeing have been performing different tests on the Starliner Spacecraft. After NASA selected the Boeing Starliner, along with SpaceX’s Crew Dragon, for the Commercial Crew Program, the first crewed test flight test was initially planned to occur in 2017. However, various delays and setbacks pushed this maiden crewed flight test back.
Now in early 2023, Boeing’s Starliner is set to launch its first crew in just over a month this April. The mission will use the same Starliner as the one used for the first Orbital Test Flight and will carry a crew of 2. The launch will happen on ULA’s Atlas V rocket and is intended to dock with the ISS for a short period of time and return to Earth for a mission duration of only 7 days.
Right now, final preparations are being made for both the spacecraft and the crew. While Starliner has had somewhat of a rough history in orbital test flights, both NASA and Boeing are confident enough to test the system with humans. Here I will go more in-depth into the recent mission progress, the two crew members, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.

Well TheSpaceBucket has just posted a video giving an in-depth look at the Strainer's design:

Just over a month from now, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft is set to attempt its most important mission yet. After two past orbital test flights with varying results, this upcoming mission features the first crew ever to be launched on Starliner. With this big responsibility comes a lot of preparation and work to ensure the mission goes smoothly.
While Starliner has had somewhat of a rocky past, both NASA and Boeing are confident in its design and the changes made after different problems occurred. In reality, the spacecraft offers some unique qualities that differentiate it from other human-rated spacecraft within the industry. Not to mention a long history of development and testing starting back in 2010.
However, it brings up the question of how exactly does this spacecraft work and how will it compete with other options such as SpaceX’s Crew Dragon. In the time since the two companies began competing, Boeing has missed out on a lot of launch contracts that SpaceX is securing. Here I will go more in-depth into Starliner’s design, the features in place to keep its crew safe, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.

Ummm... because NASA IS a part of the Federal government?

It certainly is NOT an independent entity... not even as far as the US Postal Service is.
It effectively is more independent in its decision making than you are giving it credit for.

View: https://twitter.com/kathylueders/status/1638986514729140224

We’re adjusting the @Space_Station schedule including the launch date for our Boeing Crew Flight Test as teams assess readiness and complete verification work. CFT now will launch following Axiom Mission 2 for optimized station operations. (1/2)

View: https://twitter.com/kathylueders/status/1638986516188876813

Target launch dates for Ax-2, still planned in early May, and Starliner will be shared soon. We’ll plan a media update after we have the space station schedule set. As always, we will fly when we are ready. (2/2)

Boeing's first mission carrying astronauts to space aboard its Starliner capsule has been delayed until at least the summer, a NASA official said on Thursday, as people familiar with the matter said last-minute tests and technical debates nixed a plan for an April launch.