• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing KC-46 Pegasus

FighterJock

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Apparently several airframes are affected. how many exactly is anyone's guess.

Boeing offered a few more tidbits in a statement provided by a spokesman: “The U.S. Air Force discovered several KC-46 aircraft requiring fuel system repairs. The KC-46 fuel system is equipped with redundant protection for fuel containment. In some cases with this issue, aircraft maintenance crews are finding fuel between the primary and secondary fuel protection barriers within the system.”
Hopefully we will get more news from Boeing as to how many airframes are involved in due course.

Helix88

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
To be fair all the issues that are cropping up seem to be regarding the tanker/transport systems. The 767 platform itself is a proven airframe that is being hurt by all the stuff being tacked on for the KC role. All IMHO to be sure.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The problem is the amount of money allocated to the contract. I wrote it years ago but for having left a single competitor dictates the lower price margin despite never having built a tanker, not showing a single prototype and having dubious military systems records, the USAF pays now the price. Boeing had to fit into the price envelope defined by the larger Airbus design, what impacted in an unfavorable way their performances in statistics.
Is Boeing guilty of not passing on that? Certainly. But everyone can foresee how the market would have reacted if Boeing didn't fight for it.

It's a popular say to criticize Army procurement initiative but at least with FVL they didn't let anyone tells them lullabies.

Last edited:

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Is that a roundabout way of blaming Airbus for Boeing's Bloopers?

Helix88

Reaction score
Boeing screwed up on the cargo locks, FOD, fuel leakage, camera system stuff absolutely. Just was musing on how the base 767 airframe is a solid piece of hardware. airbus had a great machine as well, political bluster, financial acrobatics, and corporate posturing conspired against them.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Boeing screwed up on the cargo locks, FOD, fuel leakage, camera system stuff absolutely. Just was musing on how the base 767 airframe is a solid piece of hardware. airbus had a great machine as well, political bluster, financial acrobatics, and corporate posturing conspired against them.
Even Boeing must (almost) wish the USAF had been allowed go for the clearly superior Airbus offering....

Helix88

Reaction score
Even Boeing must (almost) wish the USAF had been allowed go for the clearly superior Airbus offering....
I cant argue that, if they manage to pull their sh*t together it will be a miracle, and a lesson to the Air Force as well.

Archibald

Reaction score
OK, I'll say it.

KC-46A PegaMAX.
I was thinking "Pega-Sucks" but that works too lol
Remember when KC-97 were too slow to refuel fast jets, and thus had to dive to gain speed ? Well, AFAIK, the 737-MAX is pretty good at doing that, diving (itself into the ground). Now that's an idea - sell all those grounded MAXes to USAF, $1 each, with underwing refueling pods and the MCAS patched - using the following argument as a sale pitch " just enough for slight dive, helping during refuelings."

Zap, two Boeing clusterfucks solved.

(runs for cover)

FighterJock

Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be wise for them to revert back to an inhabited gondola with direct manned controls and call it a day? The drag and weight penalty today would be minimal. IMOHO the usage of CFRP, laminated glass and why not an entire cold welded assembly with bolted/riveted backup that you just plug into a cut-in opening would not be seen as sorcery for an experienced workshop.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
"I'm far more confident today in the performance and the behavior of Boeing on the KC-46 than I ever been in my entire time here and I give the new CEO, a lot of credit for being a man of his word," Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said.

[...]

"When Covid-19 hit obviously things changed for the entire defense industrial base," Will Roper, assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, technology and logistics, told Pentagon reporters in April via teleconference.

"Cash flow is everything right now, liquidity is everything, and we've created policies in the Department of the Air Force to get as much cash out of our hands and to industry as possible ... The KC-46 is no exception," he added.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Boeing Sees $44 Billion Tanker Decision Delayed by Four Years

An Air Force statement issued late Monday said the decision will come in July to September of 2024. It was previously planned for this September, Ann Stefanek, a spokeswoman for the service, disclosed on Tuesday.
Oh help. Boeing better get this mess of a program sorted out pretty quick or the USAF will have no choice but to cancel the entire program.
So they can start over by awarding another tanker program to Boeing? How will that get us a tanker sooner for less money?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@sferrin : Honestly, it's time for services around the world to make some shopping: 737 and 320 are not as spacious as both 46 and 330 but still a gamut of them would do the trick (and bring resilience).
The composting effect of Covid-19 on Airframer price expectation is ideally balanced for any cost cutter outhere...