Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Boeing KC-135 model with winglets found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NASA-USAF-AIR-FORCE-KC-135-WINGLETS-MODEL-KC135-/251161721311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7a67b9df

Seller's description:
Up for auction is what I believe to be a model of a KC-135 cargo/tanker used by NASA/USAF to test their "WINGLETS" program. I don't know my aircaft, so you determine what it actually is. On the model, one 'winglet' is broken off the right-hand wing as you can see, but it would be very easy to reattach using some suitable adhesive. This belonged to my father who was a scientist at Langley Research Center and working on this project.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJHoE9n3KhWcdBQbHJjB3Dw~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJHoE9n3KhWcdBQbHJjB3Dw~~60_57.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 151
  • $(KGrHqNHJE4FBknJQ7bMBQbHJ18lhg~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqNHJE4FBknJQ7bMBQbHJ18lhg~~60_57.JPG
    431 KB · Views: 145
  • $T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDMbBQbHKJPGmw~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDMbBQbHKJPGmw~~60_57.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 137
Hi,

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a029345.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 126
A beauty so painful to watch (no, you're not cross-eyed):

RH5D9465-Edit.jpg

And they all tookoff!

Boeing KC-135 model with winglets found on eBay.

Source:

Seller's description:
Up for auction is what I believe to be a model of a KC-135 cargo/tanker used by NASA/USAF to test their "WINGLETS" program. I don't know my aircaft, so you determine what it actually is. On the model, one 'winglet' is broken off the right-hand wing as you can see, but it would be very easy to reattach using some suitable adhesive. This belonged to my father who was a scientist at Langley Research Center and working on this project.
Anyone know where this model ended up at?

Not really - all it is is they are finding that 24 of the 90 aircraft inspected had one or both of the pins that hold the vertical stabilizer (tail fin) on are underspec/improperly made and hardened and could possibly fail under normal flight conditions.

Inspecting them takes ~30 minutes, and replacement takes one day in most cases.

...until you're "zero balance" at the supply shop.

THEN the NORS/NMCS rate shoots up and the wing king is your BFF (not).

What's your cann strategy?

Hope the highly touted "additive manufacturing" weenies can come through in time and prove their cost. (/sarcasm)

Not really - all it is is they are finding that 24 of the 90 aircraft inspected had one or both of the pins that hold the vertical stabilizer (tail fin) on are underspec/improperly made and hardened and could possibly fail under normal flight conditions.

Inspecting them takes ~30 minutes, and replacement takes one day in most cases.
I had wondered why there was what looked like a shrink wrapped H stab and V stab laying in a staging area within the ANG base connected to the airport Salt Lake. Maybe they are staging some replacement fins?

Probably that the one that wrote the first part of this report didn't read what the one for the second part wrote. Classical working-from-home effect ;)

Probably that the one that wrote the first part of this report didn't read what the one for the second part wrote. Classical working-from-home effect ;)
The editor over at Defense News must have been off sick.

I suspect it's the usual syndrome of wanting an eye-grabbing bad news headline to attract clicks, even when the real story is good news.

Last edited: