At last some more good news considering the exporting of two more KC-46s to Japan on top of the two that were already sent.

Additional storage space and cups holders: Boeing finalize KC-46 RVS2.0 upgrade

One of the biggest changes in RVS 2.0 is the overhaul of the displays the boom operators look at during the refueling process. Currently, boom operators wear 3D glasses and “[look] directly at an LCD monitor which is projecting in 3D,” Ford said. But after evaluating multiple ways to display the camera imagery, the Air Force and Boeing coalesced around an “indirect view” display where an LCD monitor projects 3D imagery to a curved mirror, which provides more depth perception to the user.

“Part of that, I think, was because of the legacy experience of looking at a window,” Burgess said. “So we wanted to do something that that provided more immersive experience for the boom operator, something that felt more true to life than just looking at a flat panel display.”

Reporters on the tour donned 3D glasses to try out the new display system, staring into an angled mirror from which an image of an F-16 appeared to jut out from the screen, making contact with a KC-46 boom. The picture was clear, with the 3D depiction appearing true to life and no distracting shadows or reflections of light.

15 more KC-46 ordered.

Boeing said Monday this brings the number of KC-46s the Air Force has under contract to 128, 68 of which are delivered and in use.

Boeing is also under contract for 10 more KC-46s to partner nations, six for Japan and four for Israel. Japan has already received its first two KC-46s.

15 more KC-46 ordered.

Boeing said Monday this brings the number of KC-46s the Air Force has under contract to 128, 68 of which are delivered and in use.

Boeing is also under contract for 10 more KC-46s to partner nations, six for Japan and four for Israel. Japan has already received its first two KC-46s.

Finally some good news for the KC-46. I take it that the problems that have been plaguing the tanker have been sorted.

I doubt that it would look like that Chris, I would think that it would more or less be a flying wing type design or somewhat like the Boeing unmanned naval tanker but with a flying boom.

"…The service says this year it will fly the pod, known as ABMS Capability Release #1, which was first announced in 2020 as the initial planned deployment of a new data-focused system developed as part of ABMS. The pod will attach to the KC-46 and facilitate data sharing between F-35s and F-22s."