Boeing HAAWC glider kit for Mk 54 torpedo

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
"Boeing to make flying torpedoes able to attack enemy submarines from 30,000 feet"
April 4, 2013
By John Keller
Editor

Source:
http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2013/04/Boeing-flying-torpedo.html

WASHINGTON, 4 April 2013. Airborne weapons experts at the Boeing Co. got the go-ahead Wednesday to start building add-on kits for the U.S. Navy Mark 54 lightweight torpedo that will enable the weapon to glide through the air from altitudes as high as 30,000 feet and enable the Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol jet to attack enemy submarines from long ranges.

The Naval Sea Systems Command in Washington announced a $19.2 million contract Wednesday to the Boeing Co. Defense, Space & Security segment in St. Charles, Mo., to design and build the High Altitude Anti-Submarine Warfare Weapon Capability (HAAWC) Air Launch Accessory (ALA).

The HAAWC ALA turns the Raytheon Mark 54 torpedo into a glide weapon that the P-8A aircraft can release from high altitudes. As the flying torpedo reaches the water, it jettisons wings and other air-control surfaces and takes on its original role as a smart torpedo that detect, track, and attack enemy submarines autonomously.

The Mark 54 always has been able to be launched from aircraft, but before the HAAWC add-on kit air crews had to release the torpedo from altitudes no higher than about 100 feet.

The HAAWC will enable the P-8A aircraft -- a Boeing 737 passenger jetliner modified for maritime patrol -- to maintain optimum surveillance altitudes without wasting the time and fuel necessary to drop to low altitudes to attack targets and then climb back to high patrol altitudes.
Attacking from high altitudes also enables the P-8A to reduce the time between target acquisition and attack, as well as launch anti-submarine weapons outside the ranges of shore-based anti-aircraft defenses.

When launched from 30,000 feet the HAAWC-equipped Mark 54 torpedo will glide for seven to 10 minutes before entering the water.

While in flight the HAAWC will be completely self-contained. The HAAWC adaptor kit includes a flight control computer, a GPS-based navigation system, and power sources. When near the water the system sheds its wings and activates a parachute that lowers the torpedo to the water to begin its run toward the target.

HAAWC program requirements require Boeing to build an add-on kit that requires little or no modifications to the Mark 54 torpedo or to the P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft. Boeing's HAAWC contract includes options that could bring the value of the program to as much as $47 million.

Coincidentally, Boeing officials announced this week that they have handed over the seventh production P-8A Poseidon to the Navy on schedule March 29, marking the first delivery from the second low-rate initial production contract awarded in November 2011. The P-8 is scheduled to replace the ageing Lockheed Martin P-3 Orion four-engine turboprop maritime patrol plane.

The Mk 54 is an all-digital lightweight torpedo that has advanced software algorithms from the larger submarine-launched Mark 48 torpedo.

Boeing engineers reportedly will fit the Mark 54 torpedo with the wings designed for a Standoff Land-Attack Missile-Expanded Response cruise missile to enable to torpedo to glide to the ocean's surface. The HAAWC tail assembly is to include the guidance kit designed for the Joint Direct-Attack Munition (JDAM), which contains a GPS navigation system.

Boeing also could fit the HAAWC with a data link to transmit target position updates while in flight. Boeing will do the work on this contract in St. Charles, Mo., and should be finished by April 2016.

For more information contact Boeing Defense, Space & Security online at www.boeing.com/boeing/bds, or Naval Sea Systems Command at www.navsea.navy.mil.

Attachments

• Mk-54_torpedo.jpg
    Mk-54_torpedo.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 501
Looks very similar to Lockheed Martin's LongShot wing adapter kit.
Raytheon also has its own proposal, the Fish Hawk, which is very similar in concept.

fishhawk.jpg

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/singapore-2010-raytheon-unveils-long-range-torpedo-for-337988/

Logical use of existing knowledge and know-how of other guided bombs!
But it will go some way in effecting what was a good and clean weapon to hang externally or store in weapons bays :(

Regards
Pioneer

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/show-daily/sea-air-space-2016/2016/05/18/boeing-showcases-new-sub-hunting-missile/84562780/

Indeed. In the meantime however:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/us-navy-on-track-for-high-altitude-p-8a-weapon-435653/

Saw the report that Aerojet is developing a Stored Chemical Energy Propulsion System powerplant for Mk 54 Mod 2. But it seems that this is not compatible with the current versions of HAAWC (or VL ASROC). I suspect that SCEPS propulsion might be pushing Mk 54 Mod 2's weight and length back toward the Mk 50 territory (170 lbs heavier and 7 inches longer than the Mk 54)

Last edited:
It's a little curious that the USN is going back into SCEPS propulsion when the predominant threat is still diesel/electrics. I wouldn't have thought underwater performance to be enough of an issue to warrant the change back, but perhaps they just want a limited run for engaging nuke boats.

Saw the report that Aerojet is developing a Stored Chemical Energy Propulsion System powerplant for Mk 54 Mod 2. But it seems that this is not compatible with the current versions of HAAWC (or VL ASROC). I suspect that SCEPS propulsion might be pushing Mk 54 Mod 2's weight and length back toward the Mk 50 territory (170 lbs heavier and 7 inches longer than the Mk 54)

Jane's yearbook say "USN planning to develop a new wing kit"

Jane's yearbook say "USN planning to develop a new wing kit"
Yes, because the existing HAAWC kit isn't compatible with the Mk 54 Mod 2, which is presumably longer and heavier than the existing Mods.

Below is the RFI from June 2023. I['ll be slightly shocked if this doesn't turn out to be a fairly minor mod to the existing HAAWC, however.

[*] Scope of Service:

Purpose: This is a Request for Information (RFI) as defined in FAR 15.201(e). The Department of the Navy, Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) Program Executive Office (PEO) Undersea Warfare Systems (UWS), Undersea Weapons Program Office (PMS404) is seeking industry feedback on the capability, technical risk, and program timeline to meet the Government`s need for the development of an Air Launch Accessory (ALA) for use in employing the MK 54 family of lightweight torpedoes (MK 54 MOD 0, MK 54 MOD 1, and MK 54 MOD 2) from a P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft.The Navy is interested in the full potential of industry responses, to include small business participation. The small business size standard for NAICS 334511 is 1,250 employees.Development Contract Concept and Background: The Navy is in the process of developing the MK 54 MOD 2 lightweight torpedo. Due to changes in the mass properties, length, and outer mold lines from the MK 54 MOD 0/1, the current HAAWC ALA, MK 14 MOD 0 Torpedo Wing Assembly, is not compatible with the MK 54 MOD 2 design. There is also an update to the electrical and logical interfaces between the launch platform and the MK 54 to incorporate the enhanced Digital Fire Control Interface (eDFCI). It is the Navy`s desire to award a contract in the 2024 calendar year for design and development of an Air Launch Accessory (ALA) that will be compatible with the complete family of MK 54 Torpedoes (MOD 0, MOD 1, and MOD 2). The combination of any variant of the MK 54 Torpedo and the new common ALA will comprise the Common High Altitude ASW Weapon Capability (C–HAAWC) weapon system.

It's a little curious that the USN is going back into SCEPS propulsion when the predominant threat is still diesel/electrics. I wouldn't have thought underwater performance to be enough of an issue to warrant the change back, but perhaps they just want a limited run for engaging nuke boats.
Modern lithium battery packs have a pretty substantial performance advantage. About 5x the raw energy storage (whether you measure by weight or by volume) and they can also discharge faster so have higher speeds underwater. And for the last bit of fun, they recharge much faster, so a diesel-electric sub with Li+ batteries spends less time snorkeling or on the surface, despite holding 5x more energy.

Modern lithium battery packs have a pretty substantial performance advantage. About 5x the raw energy storage (whether you measure by weight or by volume) and they can also discharge faster so have higher speeds underwater. And for the last bit of fun, they recharge much faster, so a diesel-electric sub with Li+ batteries spends less time snorkeling or on the surface, despite holding 5x more energy.

I think it is worth pointing out this use of lithium isn’t a battery-it is elemental lithium reacting in water to rapidly produce steam. I once threw some sodium cubes* a couple inches on a side into the ocean thinking they would burn on the surface like in my high school chem class. The hydrogen gas ignition from the exothermic reaction blew up like a half stick of dynamite and reverberated off the far shore of the harbor. Luckily this was pre 9/11, but we all still jumped in a car and floored it for ten minutes.

For an air dropped weapon, the advantages of a quick acceleration high speed weapon seem fairly pointless. You can drop it in front of the target. Mk50 was developed for high speed, deep diving SSN targets. It isn’t clear to me the PLAN has anything fielded in any numbers to really make a SCEPS type engine necessary. Otto 2 fuel is more than sufficient for D/Es. And storing lithium in element form is a super more fire hazard than even Otto II.

*my professor didn’t get tenure and our research ended. We were the black sheep of the department doing organometallic research. We stole everything not bolted down.

Last edited:
I think it is worth pointing out this use of lithium isn’t a battery-it is elemental lithium reacting in water to rapidly produce steam. I once threw some sodium cubes* a couple inches on a side into the ocean thinking they would burn on the surface like in my high school chem class. The hydrogen gas ignition from the exothermic reaction blew up like a half stick of dynamite and reverberated off the far shore of the harbor. Luckily this was pre 9/11, but we all still jumped in a car and floored it for ten minutes.

For an air dropped weapon, the advantages of a quick acceleration high speed weapon seem fairly pointless. You can drop it in front of the target. Mk50 was developed for high speed, deep diving SSN targets. It isn’t clear to me the PLAN has anything fielded in any numbers to really make a SCEPS type engine necessary. Otto 2 fuel is more than sufficient for D/Es. And storing lithium in element form is a super more fire hazard than even Otto II.

*my professor didn’t get tenure and our research ended. We were the black sheep of the department doing organometallic research. We stole everything not bolted down.
No, I meant submarines with Li+ batteries are significantly more capable than submarines with lead-acid batteries.

And a sub that can spend 20-30 minutes at flank speed is capable of outrunning a Mk48, let alone an air dropped torp.

No, I meant submarines with Li+ batteries are significantly more capable than submarines with lead-acid batteries.

And a sub that can spend 20-30 minutes at flank speed is capable of outrunning a Mk48, let alone an air dropped torp.

Li+ means more charge capacity but unless the electric engine is actually more powerful, it doesn’t change top speed. The Soryus for instance do not gain any speed in the second flight as far as known.

But clearly the USN doesn’t agree with me since they are making the CRAW and the M’k 54 mod 2.

Li+ means more charge capacity but unless the electric engine is actually more powerful, it doesn’t change top speed. The Soryus for instance do not gain any speed in the second flight as far as known.

But clearly the USN doesn’t agree with me since they are making the CRAW and the M’k 54 mod 2.
Depending on the balance between battery discharge rate and propulsion motor, top speed can change. But the more important change is how long you can sustain that top speed.