Boeing family of JDAMs

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Not a good day to enlist in any non-US or allied Navy.
Sad thing is it'll probably take China fifteen minutes to download the necessary info to implement it themselves.
Won't even have to steal anything other than an idea. I can't imagine that programming a 10-foot offset is that hard.
Takes more than that to get a bomb near a moving target. Not sure China has all the pieces- yet.

TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
And now I wonder if the P-8 actually has those two centerline fuselage weapon stations that were talked about early on. (When not carrying the radar pod, obviously). A combo of four Harpoon or LRASM under the wings and a couple of Quicksinks for confirming kills would be a potent ASuW combo.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I was thinking it is better suited to the numerous large civilian ships that would be necessary to support an invasion of Taiwan...car ferries, Ro/Ros, container ships, etc. Wasting a militia fishing boat with a mk84 seems a little...overly dramatic. Though it is probably still perfectly cost effective...
Makes you wonder how scalable it is. A B-2 with 80 500lb versions of this over an amphibious assault fleet would be devastating. Then again there will be a lot of air defenses so I don't know how long you could hang around with bay doors open.

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hypothetically, wouldn't a mk82 accept the same seeker head? Though it would have a lot less explosive so it would be more akin to hitting a small bottom mine rather than a torpedo. I wonder if the seeker has an option to directly target a ship rather than keel break; if you used mk82s you could just pop a half dozen onto larger ships and that should be enough to get a good fire going. Anything small can take 1-2.