Boeing advanced missile concepts

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Thought I would post these Boeing "product cards" for advanced missile projects. Starting with a couple of well-known hypersonic projects, the X-51A WaveRider scramjet engine demonstrator and HyFly dual-combustion ramjet demonstrator:

Attachments

• Hypersonic-001_p01.JPG
    Hypersonic-001_p01.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 498
Joint Dual-Role Air Dominance Missile (JDRADM)

The acronyms mean:

DRAM-T - Dual Role Air Dominance Missile-Technology (an AFRL demosntration program)
MRROKM - Multi-Role Responsive Ordnance Kill Mechanism (an AFRL warhead technology program)
QNT - Quint Network Technology (a weapons datalink using the TTN wideband waveform)
SITES - Seeker Integrated Target Endgame Sensor

Attachments

• JDRADM-003_p01.JPG
    JDRADM-003_p01.JPG
    549.5 KB · Views: 461
Next-generation cruise missile:

Attachments

• NGCM-002_p01.JPG
    NGCM-002_p01.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 448
  • NGCM-2.jpg
    NGCM-2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 382
Oh, CammNut, was missing your posts so much lately!

I have an update! Now that AARGM is poised to enter production, the Navy is looking at "kinematic improvements" to Harm - ie more speed and range - to reduce time-to-target and increase stand-off for survivability. The Office of Naval Research has been funded to work on an advanced solid-rocket motor. Also, the Navy tells me, the Aerojet VFDR rocket-ramjet from the HSAD demo is still a candidate for a future Harm upgrade.

Meanwhile...two weeks ago the Air Force and Navy began talks to define joint requirements for JDRADM, with the intent of fielding a dual-role air-to-air/anti-radar missile by 2022 that can be carried internally in the F-35. The F-35 can only carry two AIM-120s internally, and no AGM-88s, so they need a weapon that can do both. Meanwhile, they have a scheme to pack 6 AMRAAM-sized missiles (total) into the F-35's weapons bays.

CammNut said:
Meanwhile, they have a scheme to pack 6 AMRAAM-sized missiles (total) into the F-35's weapons bays.

Well, soon we will reach stage of packing four AGM-129As there...

Watch this space...apparently AFRL did work out how to get 10 AMRAAMs in, but broke all the rules doing so

CammNut said:
Watch this space...apparently AFRL did work out how to get 10 AMRAAMs in, but broke all the rules doing so

What'd they do, give it the beer gut of that other Lightning? ;D

Here is a concept I was pitching that uses a bomb rack assembly type mechanism and assuming folding fins and 7 inch diameter on JDRADM.

f-35a_JDRADM_drop.gif

sferrin said:
How "high speed"?

That's what I'd like to know too. In the subsonic regime those short stubby wings with the broad tips are going to cause a VERY strong set of vortices and the resultant downwash and spanwise flow from those vortices is bound to cause a lot of induced drag.

Reminds me of Raytheon trotting out an air-breathing AAM as "new" multiple times over a span of years.

The head of Boeing's Global Strike Division has been hinting at a new cruise missile for years. Maybe this is it? Seems to be a few programs "slipping" out of the closet, protecting budgetary turf? Show the politicians the "whiz bang" and hope you don't get cancelled.

Pure speculation on my part.

AAAdrone said:
sferrin said:
How "high speed"?

That's what I'd like to know too. In the subsonic regime those short stubby wings with the broad tips are going to cause a VERY strong set of vortices and the resultant downwash and spanwise flow from those vortices is bound to cause a lot of induced drag.
That and the sharp nose make me think 'supersonic' while the chisel shape of the nose makes me ask 'how supersonic?'

dannydale said:
AAAdrone said:
sferrin said:
How "high speed"?

That and the sharp nose make me think 'supersonic' while the chisel shape of the nose makes me ask 'how supersonic?'

The subsonic AGM-129 has a sharp nose as does the F-117, JSOW, Boeing Bird of Prey, X-47B, B-2, Phantom Ray, etc. etc.