• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Blue Origin and New Shephard RLV

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
WTF is this idiot protesting? They worried we're going to carry Global Warming to the moon?

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
WTF is this idiot protesting?
Something something animal rights. Which is weird: if Bezos gets his way and mankind starts cranking out Habs and terraforming Mars and moving outwards towards the stars, we're going to bring critters with us. Whole new worlds populated by living things will spring up from dead rocks. Currently endangered species could number in their trillions.

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Blue Origin is developing the New Shepard rocket system to send tourists past the edge of space and allow them to float in zero gravity.
The company still hopes to fly people on New Shepard before the end of this year but said on Tuesday that it expects to test fly the rocket at least two more times before that happens.
CEO Bob Smith explained to CNBC why Blue Origin has delayed the first crewed flight and continues to test.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I see one major inherent axis of failure against peer competitiors: you have 3 layers of operational profitability where each member of the team will have to add mandatory margin. This decrease the flexibility of their offer (3 vehicules built, each one by a different partner).

Last edited:

RanulfC

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I see one major inherent axis of failure against peer competitiors: you have 3 layers of operational profitability where each member of the team will have to add mandatory margin. This decrease the flexibility of their offer (3 vehicules built, each one by a different partner).
Given the time-limit and NASA requirement, ('three-stage-system) it would be somewhat faster, (but more expensive) this way which is what I think is the rationale. NASA wants a tug, descent and then ascent stage rather than a single reusable lander design and given the target date (2024) it is very likely the only option. As the article notes Artimis was the sister of Apollo so I would not at all be surprised that the whole rationale is more political than practical. I don't see the Lunar Gateway being in place in time so re-doing the Moon Apollo style again would seem to be the obvious choice given the political time table.

Randy