Blackburn designations

OK, very much work in progress but this is where the BAe Systems guy and I are right now updating the Blackburn projects/designation list. In black are the designations and projects from Jackson's Putnam, in red our additions and modifications based on documents and drawings we have viewed. Yellow shading is for aircraft that were built.

Attachments

• Designations.pdf
    629.5 KB · Views: 19
Amazing my dear Schneiderman,

any chance to get all SP series ?.

I think that is very unlikely. The archive is far from complete and poorly catalogued with a lack of detail, but a search of the listing shows that there is no mention of SP and also nothing in the text that I would think relates to any of these concepts/projects.

The BAe Systems archive of Blackburn material at Brough lists just two items with SP in the description; 'Fig 1 General Arrangement of SP38 - Jet-Flap Research' and 'Fig 1 General Arrangement of SP48 - Jet-Flap Research'. Both are associated with a brochure described as "CJF 2/59 Proposals for Cold Jet-Flap Research'.

Can we say,the un-numbered projects were the beginning of SP series ?,
such as mentioned here,

OK, very much work in progress but this is where the BAe Systems guy and I are right now updating the Blackburn projects/designation list.
"Jan-32 Flying Depot ship - Duplex or RR 'H' engines"

Date and description suggest that was likely a competitor to R.10/30 for adapting the R.6/28 Short Sarafand to a mobile depot ship for the Singapore flying boat force, eventually handled with a small dry dock instead. The British Aircraft Specifications File lists a competing Fairey project, but not a Blackburn.

"Jan-32 Flying Depot ship - Duplex or RR 'H' engines"

Date and description suggest that was likely a competitor to R.10/30 for adapting the R.6/28 Short Sarafand to a mobile depot ship for the Singapore flying boat force, eventually handled with a small dry dock instead. The British Aircraft Specifications File lists a competing Fairey project, but not a Blackburn.
It was indeed, and considerably larger than the Sarafand. Some of its planned features were the subject of Blackburn patents.

The British Aircraft Specification file is somewhat obsessed with Fairey having tendered designs to several AM Specifications for flying boats, but there appears to be little evidence for that in the form of documents or plans.