• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Miles designations

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Alexei for sharing this! The ironic thing about it is I did about exactly the same chart last week, using the same source... I should have waited some more... LOL!

Please note that:
- A second M.12 Mohawk airframe was started and received a registration, but it was never completed.
- M.26 refered collectively to all the X-numbered blended-wing transport projects, of which only X.2, X.3, X.7, X.11 and X.14 are known.
- M.76 does not actually refer to the glider but to the Durestos wings that Miles was supposed to fit to an existing Kendall K.1 Crabpot I airframe.
- M.114 and M.115 were the original Miles designations for what became the Beagle-Miles M.117 and M.218. I don't think "M.118" actually existed.

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Skyblazer said:
M.26 refered collectively to all the X-numbered blended-wing transport projects, of which only X.2, X.3, X.7, X.11 and X.14 are known.
Just quoting myself after many years to correct a slight mistake I made: the designation M.26 covered MOST of the X. projects series, but not the earlier X.2, which fits chronologically approximately between the M.12 and M.13, just like the first, undesignated Marathon project.

cluttonfred

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Help! I am in the process of moving and won't have access to my airplane books for a few months yet. IIRC, there was a late or post WWII proposal from Miles for a two-seat trainer based on the M.38 Messenger. Basically, the rear seats were deleted, a smaller engine was used, and the big flaps were deleted, so the landing speed went up to the point the the center fin was no longer necessary and was deleted. Ditto the long-travel, high-stance landing gear. I believe it was the M.74 and the result was much like a simpler, fixed-gear M.28 Mercury, from which the Messenger had been developed in the first plaece. Can anyone 1) confirm that M.74 designation and 2) provide an image of any kind, even just a camera phone pic from the Putnam Miles Aircraft since 1925 book? Thanks!

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Skyblazer said:
- M.76 does not actually refer to the glider but to the Durestos wings that Miles was supposed to fit to an existing Kendall K.1 Crabpot I airframe.
Seeing this again reminded me that I have some information on the M.76 glider wing. From 'British Sailplanes and Gliders', N.H.Ellison. 1970, pp.138-9 :-

"The wing material was altered and it was decided to manufacture it using an
asbestos reinforced low pressure thermo setting plastic structure, a method
that involved the use of heated concrete moulds and tailored felts. The wing
was manufactured by F. G. Miles Ltd. at Redhill Aerodrome, under the
designation Miles M.76
, but, when tested, it broke up at a fraction of the design
load." (my bold)

I've started a separate thread to post the full Crabpot information in . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Bazinga

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
http://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
About a month ago I was looking for info on the efforts by Miles Aircraft to sell the M.38 Messenger to the Royal Navy as a light anti-submarine aircraft for merchant convoys. I came across this neat entry over at the Smithsonian NASM: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/miles-m38-messenger-miles-mariner-royal-navy-anti-submarine-patrol-aircraft. Intrigued, I dashed off a quick online reference request and promptly forgot about it.

To my surprise, last week I received a nice note from an NASM archivist and a clear photocopy of the entire brochure submitted by Miles back in 1944. I have to upload the PDF in monochrome to keep the file size down, so here are scans of just the drawings as well.

Especially interesting to me are the details of the catapult arrangement, the proposed skid landing gear, and what I believe are drawings of three versions of the airborne observation post (A.O.P.) version of the M.38 Messenger with extended glazing, single fin/rudder with endplates on the horizontal stabilizer, and three possible engine options (Cirrus Major, Lycoming O-435, Warner Super Scarab).

Enjoy!

Miles Mariner 1.jpgMiles Mariner 2.jpgMiles Mariner 3.jpg

Attachments

hawker9

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
About a month ago I was looking for info on the efforts by Miles Aircraft to sell the M.38 Messenger to the Royal Navy as a light anti-submarine aircraft for merchant convoys. I came across this neat entry over at the Smithsonian NASM: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/miles-m38-messenger-miles-mariner-royal-navy-anti-submarine-patrol-aircraft. Intrigued, I dashed off a quick online reference request and promptly forgot about it.

To my surprise, last week I received a nice note from an NASM archivist and a clear photocopy of the entire brochure submitted by Miles back in 1944. I have to upload the PDF in monochrome to keep the file size down, so here are scans of just the drawings as well.

Especially interesting to me are the details of the catapult arrangement, the proposed skid landing gear, and what I believe are drawings of three versions of the airborne observation post (A.O.P.) version of the M.38 Messenger with extended glazing, single fin/rudder with endplates on the horizontal stabilizer, and three possible engine options (Cirrus Major, Lycoming O-435, Warner Super Scarab).

Enjoy!

View attachment 614612View attachment 614613View attachment 614614616577
I found this patent application which supports the original brochure.

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Patent GB578440 issued to George Miles and Phillips & Powis if anyone wants to read the full thing