Blériot transport aircraft of 1928 incorporating an escape lifeboat

sorry, but the "escape pod" wasn't Bleriots idea,

no. it was Noel Pemberton Billing, founder of the Supermarine aircraft company.

this, from putnam's Supermarine, pp15-16:

"Billing did secure an option from Germany for two P.B.7 flying-boats, intended for the 225hp Sunbeam engine, on his pet slip-wing theory. In the event these were abandoned on the outbreak of war in August1914 and the hulls subsequently used as flying-boat tenders. The idea of shedding the wings of a seaplane crippled by engine failure and proceeding on the surface by an auxilliary marine engine and water screw was persevered with in other PB 'paper' designs, but none ever reached the hardware stage."

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• pemberton billing P.B.7.jpg
    pemberton billing P.B.7.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 120
  • PB slip wing advertisement.jpg
    PB slip wing advertisement.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 108
Le Fana de l'aviation mentioned this thing recently, reproducing the picture.

Well, the magazine did not considered it very seriously :
the tone of the whole article was something like "these projects are so bizarre, they look like april fools, but they are not"

Then they pointed all aerodynamic flaws in the design... and there was many of them... ;)

Maybe Tophe could help (think it was the april 2008 edition)

"no. it was Noel Pemberton Billing, founder of the Supermarine aircraft company."

Sorry, but I cannot agree ! Mr. Pemberton Billing tried to secure some degree
of mobility for the crew and passengers of a flying boat, that had force landed,
whereas Monsieur Hubert considered a descend of the cabin by parachute . ;)

point taken, in regard to the air-droppable boat, but in regard to the original, bleriot project posted first, i note from the 'Flight' article text, "the foremost part of the fuselage is boat shaped, the 'boat' being detachable when necessary".
The caption to the illustration further states, "in the forepart of the fuselage is a lifeboat fitted with an engine, which will automatically be released as soon as the plane alights on the water, in the event of a forced landing, (my italics) and thus convey the passengers to land."
This to me, sounds more like the PB concept, rather than the Hubert 'escape pod'.

cheers,
Robin.

no worries, glad to help unravel the mystery with my own small contribution. interesting to see the patent, thanks,

cheers,
Robin.