Better italian aircraft/engines in WW2

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Italy usually get little attention in the alternate history discussion, but i want to put forward a little pet peeve of mine regarding italian engines and indirectly aircraft.

Some folks are keen to advocate german-japanese engine cooperation in WW2, arguing that japanese radials were so much better etc. I'm not particuarly keen on that, the germans had some excellent engines and the fact that they haven't fared better is mostly self-inflicted (cancelling the DB-603 or the Jumo-222 saga for instance), besides the japanese engine usually looked at, Homare and MK9, were far too late to be of any interest/help to Germany, even if on paper they seem considerably better than BMW-801 (debatable imo).

However, compared to Italy's radials, the japanese radials of the same era were really generations ahead, the japanese build tens of thousands of two-speed engines, and thousands of 1500HP engines, not to mention thousands of 1800-2000HP engines, although mostly unreliable due to the war situation.

Italy on the other hand, despite having some really promising engines actually conceptually ahead of the japanese, namely their big 18 cylinder radials, the AR-135, Piaggio PXII and Fiat A80 series, failed to build any meaningful numbers of either 2 speed engines or 1500HP ones. Really the only way they tried to increase power was by just blindly increasing displacement (which mortally unbalanced the engine) rather than rpm and supercharger improvements, but they were never successful. The only engine that barely approached the contemporary prewar japanese engines as far as HP/liter ratio, rpm etc is the 31,4 liter A74, it really is in the class of the 28 liter Sakae/Zuisei in power (840-870HP vs 900-950HP) but it's almost same size as the 32,7 liter 1000-1070HP Kinsei, which imo was the best Axis radial pre-war.

So rather than german-japanese cooperation on radials, how about ITALIAN-japanese cooperation on radials? I'll give some examples of what i have in mind if the italian engines were somehow crossbred with the japanese engines.

The Fiat A74 was almost as big as Kinsei but was never developed as succesfully. So image it crossbred with Kinsei-40, it can already be uprated to 950-975HP in 1939, and a two speed model equivalent to the 1300HP Kinsei-50 can give say 1200HP in 1942. If Italy stays in the war longer it can give 1400HP with water-methanol boost in 1944! This without increasing displacement or diameter at all.

Let's take the Piaggio PXI of 1000HP and 38,7 liter, the closest japanese equivalent being the 37,5 liter Ha-5. At first they were more or less equivalent, but then the japanese got the 1250HP Ha-41 in 1941 and the 1450 HP Ha-109 in 1942. The italians barely managed to get it to 1175HP in 1942 in the PXIX version. But a crossbred PXIX should easily do 1250HP in 1941, and a two-speed model 1450HP in 1942. Surely the Reggiane fighters will be greatly improved having that much more power, and i haven't even got into a potential later-war 1700HP water-methanol boosted variant, assuming Italy is still in the war by then.

We get now into the italian large 18 cyl engine which at first had no japanese equivalent.
The 1000 HP A80 was a 45 liter beast but running at a ridiculously low rpm, nearest japanese equivalent is the 1500HP 42 liter Kasei. A crossbred A80 then can easily do 1250 HP prewar, and 1500HP without breaking a sweat when fitted with a 2 speed supercharger, say about 1941-1942.
The Alfa Romeo 135 was a 49 liter 1500HP engine, but "nipponized" could easily do 1800 HP.
The Piaggio PXII of 53 liter and 1500 HP (really R-3350 or Ha-104 size), which also can do 1800-1900HP without effort.

Though one of the above should be dropped as there's too much size overlap, perhaps just keep the A80 and PXII famillies.

Finally, the completely wasteful and useless Isotta Fraschini air cooled inlines like the 26 liter Delta could be replaced by an italian equivalent of Zuisei or R-1535, then the initial 750-800HP rating could be increased to 950-1000 with a two-speed supercharger, a more reliable and dependable engine than the Delta ever was.

What the japanese could use from the italians is the idea of getting into big 18 cyl radials earlier, i was speaking about the 44 liter 1800HP Mamoru elsewhere, so instead of it how about an 18 cyl 48 liter early Ha-219 (it used Ha-5 family cylinders) also of 1800 HP, but of less diameter, less strain on the engine and excellent development potential.

I haven't touched the italian inlines, really they're just better off building as many DB-601/605 as they can in that respect. Maybe they could do something with the Asso but with DB around it will just be wasteful. If in this timeline the germans don't cancel the DB-603, build that one too (in OTL they did planned to build the DB-603 under licence, but never got that far)

So then the nipponized A74, A80, PXI and PXII families plus a small 26-27 liter Isotta Fraschini 14 cyl radial, in addition to DB inlines, should cover all the needs and give a huge boost to all the italian aircraft equipped with them.

Last edited:
Interesting. The Fiat A.74 was, of course, based upon Pratt & Whitney technology. And, yet, this wartime Italian 'R-1906' never exceeded the Twin Wasp outputs from the early 1930s (with both running on 87 octane fuel). As you note, the rather smaller Sakae ('R-1687') also outperformed the Fiat engine.

Was the Italian problem primarily technological, fuel quality, or metallurgical?

Fiat was making a lot of V12 engines in the 1920s and 1930s, until forced by goverment to make a switch to the radial engines. We can only imagine what dent in the RAF capabilities that would've occured if RR was forced to do the same by mid-1930s, via the loss of the best part of company's institutional knowledge.
So I'd have Fiat keep making only V12s. Start from the A.24 and carry on from there; granted, by late 1930s only the bore and stroke will remain as on he A.24. By late 1930s, make a big V12, talk 40-45 liters.

Isotta-Frashini: forget the Delta and Zeta, concentrate on the liquid-cooled V12, introducing the engine with en-bloc cylinders by mid-1930s. Already the Asso IX was making 840 CV at 4 km by mid-1930s.

Piaggio: buy the licence for the R-2180A?

I guess it must be varying degrees of all 3, i don't think the italians got anything better than 87 octane fuel, while the japanese at least at first were using 91 octane fuel? As to the resources, everybody says how poor the italians were, they had no oil, poor metals etc, but this gets me to something puzzling.

If you compare the GDP of Italy and Japan, the japanese GDP is a little higher but not by much, but the italians managed to build far less stuff than a very simplistic ratio would indicate they should been able to compared to Japan. You can't say the japanese were terribly rich in oil or metals etc. Perhaps this may have to do with italian industrial inneficiency often quoted, ironically many deride the japanese for their own ineficiency, but compared to Italy they were absolutely top notch!

So then if the italians were industrially more efficient somehow, they could have built more, and be that much more useful for the Axis. The japanese build something like 80,000 planes in WW2, now imagine the italians building say half that, about 40,000 instead of the measly 13,000 or something like that in OTL. Although this will require Italy to stay in the war on the Axis side at least one year longer or more somehow.

See GDP numbers here

One possible explanation as to why Italy punched below its GDP weight might be Fascist vanity projects. During WW2, Italian industry was always short of aluminum. This was despite Italy having had fairly large bauxite deposits (at Olmedo on Sardinia and around San Giovanni Rotondo) as well as tremendous hydro-electric power-generation capabilities.

The cliché was Mussolini making the trains run on time. A bigger issue was making Italian trams run at all. Italy chose to use its electric power to power trams rather than to run industry. Good idea if you want to be popular with the cittadini. Not so smart if you are heading into a war ...

Italian ideas of mass production were on the same level with the German or Soviet ideas of small-series production? Eg. Soviets produced more Tupolev SB 2-engined bombers than Italians produced all monoplane 1-engined fighters, and we know which one is easier to make. The production of Reggianne fighters was especially appalling. Amount of machine tools in Italy?
My take is that the fascists cliqué was utterly incapable of focusing on mundane tasks such were the logistics of and actual manufacturing of military aircraft (and other military gear). Expectance that Germany will sweep the floor with big powers, so Italians can have the Med all for themselves. Couple it with expensive military endeavors in Spain and Abyssinia, as well as lack of raw materials once British blockade kicked in, and there is a huge problem.

I have read somewhere that among many flaws of the italian aeronautical industry, some of the factories/companies were underutilized, i think Isotta Fraschini and Reggiane of Gruppo Caproni might be among those, maybe because of some conflict between Caproni and industrial/state leadership. At any rate, cancelling the order for the 200 Re-2000 for instance looks like an incredibly shortsighted idea. If i was them i would have kept and built as many Reggianes as possible, and export the mediocre G50 instead to Sweden and Hungary (they don't have a choice, they will buy anything)

Interesting info re italian aluminium situation and the related industry, so there seems to be room for improvement on that front for ATL purposes. Not only Japan was building all metal fighters and bombers from the mid 1930s, but even smaller countries were doing so, like Poland, so for a country with Italy's aspirations as a great power it's embarassing that they continued to build mixed contruction front line aircraft (anything other than fighters) up to the end of their war in 1943.

Am i relatively accurate in saying that an all metal aircraft saves about 10-15% in weight compared to a mixed wood/fabric one? If so, then if somehow Italy had more aluminium then all metal versions of the OTL mixed construction BR20 or SM79 or Z1007 would have been that much more durable and better performing. Hmm, and if they somehow manage to get more powerful engines, then maybe all those rather ineficient 3-engined bombers can be made twin-engined, with the attendant savings that implies.

Finally, things like the mediocre and respectively disastruous Ba-65/Ba-88, in OTL they were overweight (even if very strong) because of the excessively complicated construction (structure was steel iirc?), if they would instead adopt a light metal monocoque structure, then perhaps they can be turned into useful aircraft, especially if powered by more powerful "nipponized" engines.

Getting back to any ATL italian-japanese cooperation, apart from the japanese using the 18 cylinder big radial idea from the italians, perhaps the one italian aircraft useful to Japan would be the Piaggio P108. Naturally the japanese would make it all metal, and powered by four Kaseis it seems to have the potential to be a perfectly serviceable four engine bomber. So instead of buying that useless overweight DC-4 from US which made them waste years trying to make it into a bomber( G5N), they just buy a P108 instead, or even an older P50 would be useful.

Last edited:
Finally, things like the mediocre and respectively disastruous Ba-65/Ba-88, in OTL they were overweight (even if very strong) because of the excessively complicated construction (structure was steel iirc?), if they would instead adopt a light metal monocoque structure, then perhaps they can be turned into useful aircraft, especially if powered by more powerful "nipponized" engines.

From what I've read, yes, the Ba 88 was over-weight due to having the steel structure wrapped with metal sheet (duralumin). Same problem was with the good-looking C-V F.5 fighter.
Problem with Italian radials (bar the small A.74) was that thy were constructed with only two crankshaft bearings - one in front of the front crank throw, second behind the rear crank throw - in 'French vogue', so to say. Japanese engines we know from ww2 were all with 3 bearings (bar Ha-5??), ie. the central bearing is introduced, as it was 'American vogue'. That change allowed for greater boost and rpm for better power, without messing up the crankshaft.

tl;dr: 'Nipponisation' will mean making new engines after the Japanese do it and share the knowledge with Italians.

BTW - perhaps the Italians can do the light fighter like the Ambrosini SAI.205 much earlier, good for 575 km/h on 750 HP?

Italy on the other hand, despite having some really promising engines actually conceptually ahead of the japanese, namely their big 18 cylinder radials, the AR-135, Piaggio PXII and Fiat A80 series, failed to build any meaningful numbers of either 2 speed engines or 1500HP ones. Really the only
I think the Italians started too late with their big radials. As was pointed out the Fiat A 80 series are based on P&W technology - Alfa Romeo and Piaggio also took out licenses.

Alfa Romeo
The Alfa Romeo 125 was the Bristol Jupiter that went through a whole series of versions. But Giustino Cattaneo did not follow Roy Fedden into the nightmare of sleeve valves designs. He just put two Jupiters back to back - kept the valve gear simple - and got the Alfa Romeo 135 that gave 2,000 hp in 1939. But, as has been pointed out earlier he made the mistake of leaving out the centre bearing and the engine was plagued by insoluble vibration problems.

Piaggio
The P.XI was a licensed derivative of the French Gnome Rhone Mistral Major 14K which was itself based on Bristol technology - but with all the valve gear at the front. Considered heavy and too big for it’s power output.

I think the real difference was that the Japanese started earlier with radials and by the Sakae they had mastered the design challenges. Although I have seen it argued that later big Japanese radials were too compact to be easily cooled or worked on.

Interestingly the Japanese do not seem to have had the success with their license built version of the DB 601 whereas I have never heard of any problems with the Italian versions.