Attachments

• Typhon Microelectronics 1:2.png
    Typhon Microelectronics 1:2.png
    375 KB · Views: 36
  • Typhon Microelectronics 2:2.png
    Typhon Microelectronics 2:2.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Source, TACTICAL MISSILE STRUCTURES AND MATERIALS TECHNOLOGY by WILLIAM C. CAYWOOD, ROBERT M. RIVELLO, and LOUIS B. WECKESSER.

The next major missile airframe development at APL was the Mach 4 Long Range Typhon (Typhon LR) in 1958-1960 (Fig. 2). The airframe was fabri- cated from superalloys of nickel and cobalt, using lightweight honeycomb and corrugation-stiffened panel construction. As with Talos, the Typhon's ex- ternal airframe in the region of the combustor was protected from the hot combustion-chamber gases by means of an air-cooled shroud liner system that by- passed a portion of the relatively cool internal duct air. Also, flame-sprayed zirconium dioxide coatings maintained the combustion-chamber components within acceptable temperature limits. The structural capability of the missile at speeds up to Mach 4.2 and at altitudes of 55,000 to 100,000 feet was demonstrated in successful flight tests at White Sands Proving Ground in 1960-62. Studies conducted for NASA in 1963 indicated that the structure would be capable of operating at Mach 4.5 at high altitudes.
The drawing you have is the production version- it would have had only standard missile type fins instead of the full length chord versions on the test articles. I knew a guy who worked for Bendix and he gave me some documents about 30 years ago- not sure where they are but they confirm the SM2 fin design, a mach 4.25 speed limit, 100,000 ft intercept ceiling and 200 nmi range. Only difference is the "chines" or raceways terminate at the nose. With current radar and seekers this would be formidable even today. Mach 5 with the same ramjet propulsion configuration should be doable.

I wonder... what would be the launcher for the RIM-50 Typhon LR missile?
- The Mark 7/12 which was used for the RIM-8 Talos
- The Mark 9/10 which was used for the RIM-2 Terrier
- The Mark 26 which is used by the RIM-66 Standard MR
or an entire new launcher system?

From Norman Friedman it is not always clear but the Typhon armed warships would had single MR launchers and twin LR ones?

I wonder... what would be the launcher for the RIM-50 Typhon LR missile?
- The Mark 7/12 which was used for the RIM-8 Talos
- The Mark 9/10 which was used for the RIM-2 Terrier
- The Mark 26 which is used by the RIM-66 Standard MR
or an entire new launcher system?
LR may or may not need a fast reload, but MR absolutely needs a fast reload.

From Norman Friedman it is not always clear but the Typhon armed warships would had single MR launchers and twin LR ones?

That's correct. The Typhon LR launcher was a slightly modified Mk 10 to handle the enlarged booster.

LR may or may not need a fast reload, but MR absolutely needs a fast reload.

Typhon LR was like Terrier in that it would have needed manual finning of the booster. The track-via-missile guidance would have supported a faster ROF than Terrier but not super-fast. Typhon MR of course used a modified Mk 13 launcher, one of the fastest-cycling mechanical missile launchers ever.

That's correct. The Typhon LR launcher was a slightly modified Mk 10 to handle the enlarged booster.

Typhon LR was like Terrier in that it would have needed manual finning of the booster. The track-via-missile guidance would have supported a faster ROF than Terrier but not super-fast. Typhon MR of course used a modified Mk 13 launcher, one of the fastest-cycling mechanical missile launchers ever.
So twins for tge LR I presume. I wonder if the Mark 10 would recieve only a new mod number or an entire new designation say Mark 15?