Bell Model 3

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
Found this proposed Bell Model 3 at the Bell Aircraft Museum. Official Bell documention simply states that the Model 3 was a proposed single engine interceptor. A pre-XP-39 if you will. Download a large version from Bell Aircraft Museum website. -SP

Attachments

• Bell Model 3-small.jpg
    Bell Model 3-small.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 856
Not much room for fuel in that fuselage. Wing tanks only? Nice find.

The book "Bell Aircraft Since 1935" by Alain J. Pelletier (Putnam Aeronautical Books, 1992) gives some information, known specification and 2 drawings of the Bell Model 3. One is a three-view drawing and the other is a x-ray drawing showing the engine, the reduction gearbox and the armament from the side.
I highly recommend this book, if you are interested in Bell Aircraft. :)

AAHS journal -Summer 2013- produced a very good article
by Dave Stern about the Bell Model 3

lark said:
AAHS journal -Summer 2013- produced a very good article
by Dave Stern about the Bell Model 3
Snake, Genesis of the Bell P-39 Airacobra
Western world historians agree that the 1930s were the “Golden Age of Aviation.” Indeed this decade recorded both advancement and maturity where hit and miss aircraft design and construction techniques birthed aircraft that either succeeded or failed. Aircraft design slowly matured from metal framework “rag” (slang for fabric covering) covered open-cockpit biplanes to advanced models displaying sliding canopies, retractable landing gear, increased horsepower and radios that sometimes worked. Period engineers influenced the materials chosen for aircraft construction such as, duralumin (aluminum known as 2017 initially used to construct Zepplins and aircraft in Germany during WWI), to aluminum alloys in various strengths according to the percentage of added metals. Later pure aluminum powder consisting of a five percent thickness covering on each side of aluminum sheets was pressure rolled onto them - called lclad, it resisted corrosion. Fuselage structures morphed from a welded metal framework to semi-monocoque fuselages composed of formers and stringers, held rigid by sheet-metal skins riveted to them. This engineering approach yielded a lighter, tougher and rigid non-flammable airframe yet, ailerons, elevators and rudders remained fabric covered into WWII. By the mid-1930s most engineers adopted a design philosophy whereby one of the two sets of wings were eliminated thus they were either high or low mounted; this new trend further morphed into low mounted single-wing monoplanes. Meanwhile, powerplant engineers improved the only two powerplant choices available — the air-cooled radial and liquid-cooled inline or V engine; it slowly yielded incremental horsepower increases, stronger internal parts, improved reliability and efficiency. Aerodynamic advances were inserted in the yearly updated reference manual known as the Handbook for Airplane Designers, a guideline for aircraft designers. This included accessory and propeller firms, the latter constantly researching propellers that efficiently utilized the horsepower output of a particular engine.
Western aviation advancement was boosted by the innovative research tool called the wind tunnel, as evidenced by the U.S. Government creation of a research entity the National . . .
Link: http://www.aahs-online.org/journals/journal_template.php?vol_no=v58n2#Article9

Picture: http://www.aahs-online.org/journals/jrnl_image.php?jrnl=v58n2&image=9
This semi-cutaway drawing of the Bell Model 3 Pursuit aircraft displays alternate armament of two .50 caliber machine guns and one 25mm cannon firing through the propeller hub as originally envisioned. The circular drum appears to house the cannon shells. (From the AAHS archives)

The images from the Putnam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 750
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 699
joncarrfarrelly said:
Does that Putnam have first flight dates for the first of 20 production P-59As, the first of 30 production P-59Bs? -SP

I'm afraid the answer is no. I checked my copy.

Steve Pace said:
joncarrfarrelly said:
Does that Putnam have first flight dates for the first of 20 production P-59As, the first of 30 production P-59Bs? -SP
Steve Putnam does not give the date. The first P-59As first flight was 7 August 1944 and the last was delivered December 1944. The last P-59B was delivered May 1945.

Hope that helps

Neat, you definitely seem to have found the ancestor of the Bell XP-77. Overall layout, landing gear, canopy are all very similar.

Bell_XP-77_side_view.jpg

Beel model 3 large image.

http://bellaircraftmuseum.org/sites/default/files/bell_model_3_0.jpg

I have these on my HD, though I couldn't say which book I got them from (probably Cobra!).

Attachments

• Bell Model 3 design mockup.jpg
    Bell Model 3 design mockup.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Bell Model 3 perspective sketch.gif
    Bell Model 3 perspective sketch.gif
    126.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Bell Model 3 cabin enclosure.gif
    Bell Model 3 cabin enclosure.gif
    107.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Bell Model 3 cockpit.gif
    Bell Model 3 cockpit.gif
    250.8 KB · Views: 148
From, Bell P-39 Airacobra Cz.1 (AJ-Press Monografie Lotnicze 58)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    945.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.png
    2.png
    780.4 KB · Views: 91