Bell CTR-1900

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Artist's impression of Bell CTR-1900 civil tilt rotor on display at the Hiller Aviation Museum.

Source:
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=3282

Attachments

• img_6377.jpg
    img_6377.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 798
The Bell CTR-1900 was an all-new 19-passenger design. It was the result of a trade comparing the V-22 high-wing and H-tail configuration and new configurations (low-wing and conventional tail or low-wing, V-tail and canard). The CTR-1900 configuration with the V-tail and canard had the lowest drag and weight. This aircraft would have used two 3440shp Rolls-Royce/Turbomeca RTM-322 engines.

Technical data for Bell CTR-1900:

Wing span: 11.28m, rotor diameter: 8.53m, overall length: 14.20m, take-off weight: 10328kg, cruising speed: 524km/h, range: 1180km

Source:
http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/bell_ctr-1900.php

Attachments

• bell_ctr-1900.gif
    bell_ctr-1900.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 720
  • bell_ctr-1900.jpg
    bell_ctr-1900.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 684
There seems to be something wrong with the nacelles in this 3-view.
With the length given in the side-view, only STOL would be possible, because of
issues with ground clearance. In the top-view length they are much shorter, but
projected onto the fron-view, the problem remains and the dotted lines
even are proving this.
So, the old say is confirmed: Never believe in 3-views, you didn't manipulate by yourself ! ;)

Attachments

• CTR-1900.jpg
    CTR-1900.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 605
Jemiba said:
There seems to be something wrong with the nacelles in this 3-view.

Actually, looking at this 3-view, and notably the front view, I believe that the CTR 1900 was meant to have its nacelles in forward tilted positions when on the ground, never vertical. Now how to achieve that when landing I don't know...

Don't think, that rotoprops would be a sensible choice then.

The three view and picture seem to make it appear more practical as a STOL platform. However Bell has in the past investigated, and reintroduced with V-280, not rotating engines. This seems to me the only practical way to make this tilt rotor viable as a VTOL aircraft.

yasotay said:
The three view and picture seem to make it appear more practical as a STOL platform. However Bell has in the past investigated, and reintroduced with V-280, not rotating engines. This seems to me the only practical way to make this tilt rotor viable as a VTOL aircraft.

I believe that you are correct, yasotay. It seems likely that the CTR-1900 has the same tilt-rotor configuration as the V-280 Valor without tilting engine nacelles as in the V-22. This would make the third-party three-view drawing incorrect.

I went back and to a closer look at the concept art at the beginning of the thread and I now am more sure that my supposition about swiveling proprotor only is correct.

Indeed, here it's quite clearly visible, just not to the eyes of that 3-view artist ! :-\

Attachments

• rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 255
Artist's impressions of Bell Boeing NASA CTR-1900.

Source:
http://www.boeingimages.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&VBID=2JRSN2PXP22NNW

Attachments

• BI25032.jpg
    BI25032.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 44
  • BI25034.jpg
    BI25034.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 55