Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
"Bell Launches New Short, Light Single Helicopter at Paris 2013"
by R. Randall Padfield

June 17, 2013, 1:15 PM

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/bellhelicopter
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/paris-air-show/2013-06-17/bell-launches-new-short-light-single-helicopter-paris-2013

John Garrison, president and CEO of Bell Helicopter, announced yesterday morning at the Paris Air Show that the Fort Worth, Texas-based rotorcraft builder is developing a new “short, light single” (SLS) helicopter that will be powered by a Turbomeca Arrius 2R turboshaft engine. The new, “clean sheet” aircraft, which Garrison said is expected to fly next year, will be the first Bell helicopter to be powered by a Turbomeca engine. Certification of the new helicopter will take place “as quickly as possible” after the first flight.

Performance goals for the SLS helicopter include a speed of 125 knots, a range from 360 to 420 nm, a useful load of 1,500 pounds and a ceiling of 11,000 feet, said Garrison. He explained that the model’s expected performance is targeted to satisfy requirements that Bell has derived from input generated by the company’s customer advisory council and that the name of the new Bell model would be announced at Heli-Expo 2014.

The new Bell SLS will feature a glass cockpit (provider not yet decided), dual channel Fadec on the engine, rear clamshell doors, high-inertia main rotor and capability for wire-strike kit installation.

“The SLS class is both extremely competitive and price sensitive,” Garrison said, “so we collaborated with customers to incorporate their mission needs in a high-performance, high-value helicopter at a very competitive price.” Asked to be more specific, he said the price would be in the price range of the Robinson R66 on the low side and Eurocopter EC120 on the high side.

The Arrius 2 turboshaft, which provides power in the 450- to 550-shp class, will be controlled by dual Fadecs and meet IATA Stage 4 noise targets. Olivier Andries, Turbomeca chairman and CEO, said Turbomeca has delivered 3,000 Arrius engines and the fleet has accumulated more than 6 million flight hours. The engine has a 3,000-hour TBO. “We are incredibly excited to be working with Bell Helicopter,” Andries said. “Our teams have been working together for some time now on this project.”

Attachments

• 1013044_644734382221208_590566040_n.jpg
    1013044_644734382221208_590566040_n.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 734
  • 1026236_645711958790117_1121457283_o.jpg
    1026236_645711958790117_1121457283_o.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 715
  • 963-sls_missionsample-yy5q9829-02.jpg
    963-sls_missionsample-yy5q9829-02.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 627
My first thought on seeing this bird yesterday morning was "wonder what they're going to call it..." I'd venture something in the 200+ range, perhaps "Bell 260" or something like that...

It will be interesting to see how well it can break into a market so dominated by Robinson.

Just as interesting, this seems to confirm that the 525's nose is the new "corporate look" for Bell.

Stargazer2006 said:
My first thought on seeing this bird yesterday morning was "wonder what they're going to call it..." I'd venture something in the 200+ range, perhaps "Bell 260" or something like that...

The "JetRangerette"? ;D

The last Bell helicopter, the 525, was named Relentless. I wonder if the Bell SLS would be named with a similar adjective.

Bill Walker said:
We have a Long Ranger, so this will be the Short Ranger. ;)

Or later Turbomeca could provide a series of much more powerful engines, allowing it to transform it into performing different roles. That would make it a (forgive me), Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger.

:D

I don't know, with only a single engine, it could be a Lone Ranger. Ba doom, tishhh...... :eek:

Edit: Of course, making the military version the Tonto. ???

Looks like, that Bell Helicopter will present the new Bell SLS at the upcoming Heli-Expo 2014.
Make plans now to join Bell Helicopter at Heli-Expo 2014 in Anaheim, CA. We'll open the show with updates on a number of our latest products, including the Bell SLS, so make plans to be at booth 4536 at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, February 25.
http://youtu.be/3czXNrKANwo
Code:
http://youtu.be/3czXNrKANwo

Introducing the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X.

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=794159427278702&set=pb.137576202937031.-2207520000.1393356155.&type=3&theater

Attachments

• 1507139_794159427278702_849659073_n.jpg
    1507139_794159427278702_849659073_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 331
Bell Helicopter Unveils the Game Changing Bell 505 Jet Ranger X during HELI-EXPO 2014

Source:
http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en_US/News/PressReleases/NewsRelease/NewsRelease.html?ReleaseID=c27df5a4-47c1-46ed-9ff4-ca6d47f908d5

Anaheim, CA (February 25, 2014) – Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, revealed today at HELI-Expo 2014 the Bell 505 Jet Ranger XTM – designed to redefine the short light single(SLS) class. Hundreds of attendees gathered at booth 4536 to witness the unveiling of the newest generation of Bell helicopters.

"Bell Helicopter changed the face of the industry nearly 50 years ago with the introduction of the legendary JetRanger," said John Garrison, CEO of Bell Helicopter. "Today we reveal the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X, the high-performance, high-value aircraft our customers have been asking for in this category. Not only is the Bell 505 competitively priced, it offers a combination of features, capabilities and support customers have come to expect from Bell Helicopter."

The customer-driven design of the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X places safety, performance and affordability at its forefront, blending proven systems with advanced technology and a sleek, modern design. The Garmin G1000H Integrated Avionics Suite provides pilots critical flight information at a glance to maximize situational awareness. Pilot workload is further reduced by the Turbomeca Arrius 2R engine with dual channel Full Authority Digital Engine Control (FADEC). The Bell 505 features a high inertia rotor system delivering superior auto rotation capabilities. With the ideal combination of speed, range and useful load, the Jet Ranger X is designed to deliver best-in-class performance.

“It’s an exciting time to be at Bell Helicopter, working side-by-side with our customers to create the next generation of vertical lift,” Garrison said. “Throughout our entire planning and development process, we are engaging our customers. They are providing us with actionable insights about how we can improve our products and what they will need for their missions in the coming years. This input has been invaluable in ensuring we deliver the products our customers need to be successful.”

Customers have responded favorably to the new Bell 505 Jet Ranger X, scheduled for first flight late this year. Bell Helicopter has also begun signing letters of intent for the new aircraft at the show. Customers can visit http://www.bell505.com to select specific models and see pricing options before ordering their aircraft directly online.

The Bell 505 Jet Ranger X is a five-seat, single-engine, turbine helicopter leveraging Bell Helicopter’s proven technology and nearly half a century of experience defining the SLS market with the original Bell JetRanger. With a cruise speed of 125 knots, range of 360 nautical miles and useful load of 1,500 pounds, the Bell 505 is designed to be the safest and easiest aircraft to fly in its category while still remaining affordably priced. The Jet Ranger X is a multi-mission helicopter, designed to meet a wide variety of missions with its fully flat floor, increased cabin volume and clam shell doors that will provide customers the configuration flexibility needed in today's market. It can support a wide variety of operations categories, including the utility segment, corporate and private owners, and training schools.

HELI-EXPO 2014, held in the Anaheim Convention Center, will host 20,000 industry professionals, more than 700 competitive exhibitors, over 60 helicopters on display and more than 50 educational opportunities, including education courses, seminars, workshops and forums.

Nice sxxy heli! B) :)

[...]Bell Helicopters unveiled a new short light single helicopter, the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X. The light helicopter is designed to accommodate five forward-facing occupants and will feature a flat floor for mission flexibility. [...]Bell is incorporating a lot of advanced but proven technologies into the 505, including Garmin’s integrated G1000 glass-panel avionics and a Turbomeca Arrius 2R engine with dual-channel FADEC.
Targeted performance numbers include speeds greater than 125 knots, a range greater than 360 nautical miles, a max gross weight of more than 1,500 pounds and hover capabilities beyond 11,000 feet. First flight of the 505 is expected later this year. [...]

Source: http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/helicopters/bell-505-jet-ranger-x-unveiled-heli-expo

Attachments

• Bell_505_JetRangerX.jpg
    Bell_505_JetRangerX.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 330
Specs and pics on the Bell website, here:

Nice renders. General purpose, logging, and police versions shown.

Attachments

• Bell505-MediaGallery-0203.jpg
    Bell505-MediaGallery-0203.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Bell505-MediaGallery-0202.jpg
    Bell505-MediaGallery-0202.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Bell505-MediaGallery-0201.jpg
    Bell505-MediaGallery-0201.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 43
Full scale mockup of Bell 505 Jet Ranger X.

Source:
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/hai-convention-news/2014-02-25/bell-rechristens-sls-505-jet-ranger-x-unveils-new-mockups
https://twitter.com/kokunews

Attachments

• img_1005_web.jpg
    img_1005_web.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 61
  • BhXSM-ECYAA8Yf7.jpg
    BhXSM-ECYAA8Yf7.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 58
Bell knows how to make a good-looking helo.

Moose said:
Bell knows how to make a good-looking helo.

Well, not all the time :)

Attachments

• OH-4a.jpg
    OH-4a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 260
I did my annual pilgrimage of attending Heli Expo last week in Anaheim and saw the unveiling / revealing of the 505 Jet Ranger X :) albeit the trio of surprise :)

IMG_7837_zps2ee5e359.jpg

IMG_7976_zps81fe3dc8.jpg

IMG_9196_zps4370684b.jpg

Police option

IMG_9182_zps3481427d.jpg

IMG_0678_zps341be510.jpg

IMG_0680_zps9731730c.jpg

IMG_7980_zps5f6c8e30.jpg

IMG_9201_zpsd696193b.jpg

Cheers

Published on Feb 27, 2014

Take a look as John Garrison, the President and CEO welcomes a huge crowd at the Bell Helicopter Heli-Expo booth in Anaheim, CA. The presentation features updates on the Bell 525 Relentless, the Bell V-280 Valor, the Bell 412EPI, the Bell 407GX and the star of the show, the new Bell 505 Jet Ranger X, our new short light single aircraft.

http://youtu.be/XssmNATesUI

A major milestone has been accomplished on the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X with the successful completion of ground runs of the engine, rotor and drive systems.
Video:
http://youtu.be/sO1jUjETHdo
Code:
http://youtu.be/sO1jUjETHdo

Boring seems like exactly what is called for here. This is meant to be an "entry-level" machine--customers want it to be inexpensive, reliable, and simple to operate and maintain. This is not the market segment for radical new design concepts.

What something like 50 confirmed orders before first flight and a foot in the door with the Robinson market and a shot at regaining a foot hold in the light single market they created almost single handedly. I am sure the shareholders are agahast at the boring helicopter and the boring company that came up with it.

yasotay said:
What something like 50 confirmed orders before first flight and a foot in the door with the Robinson market and a shot at regaining a foot hold in the light single market they created almost single handedly. I am sure the shareholders are agahast at the boring helicopter and the boring company that came up with it.

I DO think all Bell helicopters today are ugly and that Bell has shown a total lack of design innovation for many years now... that is MY opinion, you may not like it or agree with it, I really don't give a HOOT... BUT since it's not a personal insult to anyone I believe it's my right to express it and not be apologetic about it!

It's great to see Bell Helicopter back in the market in once dominated, with this good-looking little machine. Some squirrels are going to find life a little harder ...

Attachments

• EuroSquirrel.png
    EuroSquirrel.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 71
Skyblazer said:
yasotay said:

I DO think all Bell helicopters today are ugly and that Bell has shown a total lack of design innovation for many years now... that is MY opinion, you may not like it or agree with it, I really don't give a HOOT... BUT since it's not a personal insult to anyone I believe it's my right to express it and not be apologetic about it!
[font=]A fair point. [/font]No intention of making it personal. Indeed I would agree with you that aesthetically the new Jet Ranger is not going to win any style points. Indeed the last “sexy” helicopter to be designed was the AH-1S (no, not the ugly E or F model); although I will give the A-109 a nod. Don’t get me started on all those German sausages or French citroen.

yasotay said:
A fair point. No intention of making it personal. Indeed I would agree with you that aesthetically the new Jet Ranger is not going to win any style points. Indeed the last “sexy” helicopter to be designed was the AH-1S (no, not the ugly E or F model); although I will give the A-109 a nod. Don’t get me started on all those German sausages or French citroen.

LOL! B)

What about the Bell/McDonnell Douglas LHX concept/s?
index.php

index.php

(h/t Overscan & flateric)

The Bell 505 Jet Ranger X has some nice unobstructed visibility for the pilot compared to the 206.

Source:
http://www.konect-aviation.com/blog/
http://www.justhelicopters.com/Multi-Media/PhotoGalleries/tabid/249/AlbumID/731-88/Default.aspx

Attachments

• Bell 505 cockpit (2).jpg
    Bell 505 cockpit (2).jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Bell 505 cockpit.jpg
    Bell 505 cockpit.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140227_141724.jpg
    20140227_141724.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 58
  • BellHelicopter_505JetrangerX_Cockpit.JPG
    BellHelicopter_505JetrangerX_Cockpit.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 59
Grey Havoc said:
What about the Bell/McDonnell Douglas LHX concept/s?

What about them indeed? Can't see how they're supposed to relate to the current topic.

Unless maybe you were trying to imply that Bell was capable of doing handsome designs at some point in time? Sure did. Every company did SOME great stuff at SOME point. Every company had SOME great management and ideas at SOME point. But I wasn't discussing the PAST Bell achievements, only what the company has become these past few years, recycling to no-end the JetRanger design that's already 50 years old for instance.

Don't forget Bell sold to Agusta the civil tiltrotor activity, which could have been an interesting area of innovation. Don't forget they purchased one of the few promising VTOL programs, the X-Hawk, only to kill it later on. All the slightly innovative programs they introduced over the past 20 years didn't amount to much. Contrary to Sikorsky, who have never ceased to innovate (Cypher/Dragon Warrior, S-92, Speedhawk, "Stealth Hawk", etc.) the way I see it is that Bell has chosen to be a conservative company who seems to be mainly concerned to stay afloat by keeping the V-22 and Cobra programs going, while vaguely trying to keep a share of the civilian market, not out of a genuine interest for it but for fear they might lose the segment for good... It takes only the total lack of willingness to communicate with the public at the Paris Air Show last year to understand that.

Photos of Bell 505 Jet Ranger X mockup. I believe that it looks rather handsome in blue.

Source:
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/labace-convention-news/2014-08-11/jet-ranger-x-makes-first-brazil-appearance

Attachments

• Bell-505-JetRangerX_MG_56291280-Labace14DAN.jpg
    Bell-505-JetRangerX_MG_56291280-Labace14DAN.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Bell-505-JetRangerX_MG_5468-Labace14dan.jpg
    Bell-505-JetRangerX_MG_5468-Labace14dan.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 5dwm5822.jpg
    5dwm5822.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 26