Aviation Artists

RAP

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd start up a thread regarding artists that caught my attention and helped interest me in aviation. I'll start with Keith Ferris. I started seeing his art in the form of advertising in AWST back ini the 1970'. There was also a book about his work that is very interesting. He also produced a life size painting of a B-17 raid which adorns one of the walls in the Smithsonian, very impressive.

I'd love to hear about other artists sparked Forum members interest.

Attachments

• Ferris YF16.png
    Ferris YF16.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • High-Tide-at-Red-Beach-low.jpg
    High-Tide-at-Red-Beach-low.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Mig-Sweep.jpg
    Mig-Sweep.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 16
  • b17.jpg
    b17.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 20
  • YF17 art Ferris.jpg
    YF17 art Ferris.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 19
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 22
Wilf Hardy- Saw his great art blazing acrros the covers of Air Enthusiast. I think it was the cover that drew my attention to the magizine the first time I saw it. Scanning the web I found he also published informational articles with great technical details. I had never known this, let me know if I'm wrong and its not the same person. I was sorry to see his artwork disappear fromm the cover of Air Enthusiast/International.

Attachments

• 49911132882_82417bbaf8_o.jpg
    49911132882_82417bbaf8_o.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • e792a45e316d7a46396aed676632bceb.jpg
    e792a45e316d7a46396aed676632bceb.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 23
  • f8df84bc205bb08bb9c539cbc24cd9f1.jpg
    f8df84bc205bb08bb9c539cbc24cd9f1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 13
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (7001).png
    Screenshot (7001).png
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Those are great links to the French artists and Koike's paintings, so much talent! Thanks for posting them.

I have a couple pieces by Douglas Castleman, including the superb F-107 piece (linked below) that's in my office.

Fun fact: I was told by leadership to blur my background in video calls because the image is "too American".

Mike Machat biography

Mike Machat was fascinated with drawing airplanes since his early childhood on Long Island, New York during the 1950s. As a teenager, he spent endless hours sketching at local area airports, trading his artwork for flights in all types of aircraft and eventually earning his private and commercial licenses.

After attending Pratt Institute, Mike served in the U.S. Air Force and then relocated to Los Angeles earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts from California State University, Long Beach, and joining the Douglas Aircraft Company as a Staff Illustrator. In 1984, he established his own aviation art studio and was elected first president of the American Society of Aviation Artists. As a member of the Society of Illustrators of New York and Los Angeles, Mike won numerous awards in many national aviation art competitions.

Noted for his extensive work in commercial aviation, Mike's paintings are also displayed in many airline corporate headquarters throughout the world including a mural painted in the terminal building of the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, California. His client list included Airbus Industrie, McDonnell Douglas, Pan American World Airways, Delta, Continental, Flying Tigers, and NASA among many others.

Mike Machat's art career spanned the years from 1975 through 2001, during which time he produced 250 major works, built a strong collector following, and emerged as one of America's most well-known aviation artists. Now retired, he lives in Woodland Hills, California with his wife Sheri and their two daughters.

He is currently active on YouTube,

USING THE ARTISTIC LICENSE - How Aviation Art is Altered from Reality, and Why!​

Aug 28, 2023 Aviation art is always accurate, right? While it may look accurate at first glance, an artists may change the image to make the painting look better. You'll be surprised to see how this works.

View: https://youtu.be/Azcwtz-a5bE?si=9PSOA640SwOj8R7e

THE GOLDEN AGE OF AVIATION ART - A detailed look at the artwork of Aerospace in the 20th Century!​

Aug 15, 2022 The period from 1950 to 2000 was the heyday for aviation illustration, and we take you behind the scenes, showing how av art was concieved, designed, and produced. From fine art galleries to books, magazines, and industrial applications, you will see an amazing array of the greatest aviation imagery ever created!

View: https://youtu.be/Qm0nVOEQoT0?si=4ygKomb26AHZnNWd

A list of some French painters

Look Perinotto as example
Another French aviation painter