Astra Space

The future plans
They get launch site in Saxavoid, Scotland, next Alaska and KSC

They want simplified their Rockets and produce them cheaper and faster by mass production.
And get cost of there Rocket under prise of small Cessna Aircraft and to daily launches

Provide Launches in Orbits the others not do, like into 30° orbits

Launch system 1.0 get replace by Launch 2.0 with 300 kg payload Leo for $3,95 million launch cost
Also constant development of Launcher on customer demand to Launch 3.0 to 5.0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuFhB_wswP0

Astra Sets Launch Date for TROPICS

Linda Herridge Posted on June 8, 2022

Astra Space Inc. is targeting no earlier than June 12, pending issuance of a launch license from the Federal Aviation Administration, for the first launch of NASA’s Time-Resolved Observations of Precipitation structure and storm Intensity with a Constellation of Smallsats (TROPICS), a constellation of six CubeSats. Two CubeSats, each about the size of a loaf of bread, will launch aboard Astra’s Rocket 3.3 from Space Launch Complex 46 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

TROPICS will study tropical cyclones like hurricanes, some of the most powerful and destructive weather events on Earth, by measuring storm characteristics with a sensor about the size of a coffee cup. The miniaturized microwave radiometer detects the thermal radiation naturally emitted by the oxygen and water vapor in the air. TROPICS has the potential to provide near-hourly observations of a storm’s precipitation, temperature, and humidity. This data can help scientists increase understanding of the processes driving rapid changes in storm structure and intensity, which will improve weather forecasting models.

Astra will launch the other four TROPICS CubeSats in two separate launches later this summer.

The TROPICS team is led by Principal Investigator Dr. William Blackwell at Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Lincoln Laboratory in Lexington and includes researchers from NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and several universities and commercial partners. NASA’s Launch Services Program, based at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, will manage the launch service.

Another failure
NASA's TROPICS-1 mission on the LV0010 vehicle
Second stage shut down too early, probable do lost of stable fight control.
Payload Lost...

confirmed: TROPICS-1 reenter earth atmosphere near Africa a few hundred km west of Dakar.

After 9 launches only 2 success, also lost 6 satellite from there customer
with success rate of only 22% is Astra now in trouble.

Flight data from NASA spaceflight Forum
There something strange in data 104-113 second after launch the LV0010 first stage accelerate faster as normal
it just after Max-Q, but oddly they not reduce thrust before Max-Q
The Deep droop after stage separation is normal the second stage, driftet some seconds until engine ignited.

index.php

i read that announcement
i my humble opinion: it's suicidal move for the Company
why ?
They drop almost working rocket for development of new bigger not tested rocket !
Mean they start all over again and need a lot money and testing that rocket.
if investors walk away here, its game over for Astra

for my part, i would replace the pressure fed second stage of 3.3 rocket by one that use a turbo pump fed engine.
it's cheaper and faster way to return launching...

... or per absurdum ? (wait, forget it: that's ARCA, the escroc rocket. My apologies to Astra Space.)

and i forgot some thing
is another issue ASTRA has to face: Ready to launch competition.

Firefly Aerospace is testing there Alpha rocket with 745 kg into SSO
Relativ Space has it Terran 1 prototype on launch pad with 900 kg into SSO
and there is Virgin Orbit with LauncherOne with 300 kg into SSO (if increase there number of launches)

Once ASTRA new Rocket 4.0 is ready to test flight with 600 kg into ? ? ?
Alpha and Terran 1 proven them self by series of launches
like wise Virgin Orbit with LauncherOne who gain part of launch market until then.
(do there market model we launch from everywhere, if you let us)
means uphill battle for ASTRA to get customer

Let face it, if you want to launch your Satellite you want it get into orbit, safe...
and take the most reliable launch provider, for moment sadly ASTRA is that not!
what let for customers those options: SpaceX, RocketLab (and Virgin Orbit )

oh by the way
There other companies in Europa, Britain, India and China building there small launcher...

post scriptum
NASA's TROPICS-2 and 3 mission will launch by Rocket Lab Electron from Wallops island in May 2023.

ASTRA shares drop in one year from $8.78 down to $0.45

Source:

ASTRA Space release a press report about failure of NASA's TROPICS-1.
They had burn through in Engine nozzle do issue with RP-1 cooling flow.
Loosing to much RP-1 by damage nozzle, what let engine shut down premature.

Since Failure TROPICS-1
ASTRA Space abandon Rocket 3.3
now working on Rocket 4
They completed now a Test article of Rocket 4

FunE7agagAAJ6W-

A Update
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncKknpMPDtg

The Launch market has drastic change since my post #58
Virgin Orbit went bankrupt
Relativ Space has abandon Terran 1 after failed test launch and goes for Terran R. (same problem like Astra)
China LandSpace had successful launch Zhuque-2 Y2.
Firefly Aerospace prepares it first payed launch and team up with Northrop Grumman on new version of Antares.
While RocketLab expanded into Hardware provider for Space Industry.

Still Astra face the same problem: low finance income and increase on competitions.

Oh dear not another space company potentially biting the bullet due to low financial income and increased competition. I don't want it to be just SpaceX and Blue Origin that are the survivors.

Oh dear not another space company potentially biting the bullet due to low financial income and increased competition. I don't want it to be just SpaceX and Blue Origin that are the survivors.
RocketLab looks solid, they by now clearly know what they're doing.

According Scott Manley
has Astra layoff 25% of their workforce.
and now focus more on their Ion engine production, what is profitable.

this will affect the Rocket 4 considerable

Let's not jump to conclusions too soon Michel Van The last year has not been easy for them, I certainly do not want Astra to be another Virgin Orbit. I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the new rocket succeeds where the last failed.

Uh Oh, looks like Astra are going to bite the bullet. It will be sad to lose Astra because of cash flow issues, It looks like they could be following Virgin Orbit after all.

Maybe, but not quite yet. That last press release says they raised more money and cleared the default (by giving creditors equity in the company, I think).

Mabe I was quick of the mark TomS with the fate of Astra, let's wait and see what happens to them from now and the period after the winter holidays. I want them to raise more money to survive.

GIGEVI8W8AEhxX6

This graphic is from 2021 Astra presentation to Investors.
That's one were Astra chef designer make malicious remarks about SpaceX reuse of Falcon 9

now three years later
Virgin Orbit went bankrupt
RocketLab expand and testing reuse of their rocket.
ULA change from Atlas and Delta to Vulcan
SpaceX in 2023 launch 96 times a Falcon 9, some of boosters enter now there 20th re-flight
Astra after this presentation, launch only five Rocket 3.3 and abandon this, for Mockup of Rocket 4.0

Source:
View: https://twitter.com/breadfrom/status/1765838201804013897

Last edited:
How many of these were Starlink launches ?
62 Launches were for Starlink.
34 Launches were other customer.

Astra Graphic claims 300 launches/year for Rocket 3.3 in contrast of under 30 launches for SpaceX.
mean every 1.21 days Astra had to launch and build a Rocket 3.3
SpaceX is launching now every 3.1 days, that refurbish time for launch pads.