http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1947/1947%20-%202124.html

Attachments

• Fairchild.JPG
    Fairchild.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 445
  • fair-xc120.jpg
    fair-xc120.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 471
Thanks Hesham! This is the picture that inspired Alessandro Marchetti in september-october 1947 (besides seeing the Miles M-68 at Farnborough) in modifying the very traditional SM-105 in a detachable fuselage design.

You know, with today's air situation both with passengers and security being issues that is I wonder if this might not be worth a 'revisit' by aircraft designers....

Was there any specific issue with the type? (Modular planes in general?)

Randy

The idea has resurfaced time and again. Originally, the problem was that a traditional configuration had better performances viz a comparable (equal GTOW) modular one. Later, I suspect it is only a problem of investments in traditional ground handling equipment.

Skybolt said:
The idea has resurfaced time and again. Originally, the problem was that a traditional configuration had better performances viz a comparable (equal GTOW) modular one. Later, I suspect it is only a problem of investments in traditional ground handling equipment.

Modularity itself tends to impose a weight and volume penalty but practical considerations would make this worse. Modularity becomes more useful the further the detachable pod can be separated from the aircraft. Illustrations often show detachable pods being used as hospitals or being towed down roads by trucks - that sort of use would require much heavier construction than is typically used in aircraft. A detachable pod that has to be loaded/unloaded or used at the airport would bring limited benefits. Back in the 60s, air cargo theorists envisioned aviation being integrated into intermodal cargo systems (as I recall, the 747 main deck is sized to accommodate 2 standard shipping containers side by side), but the weight of these boxes is impractical for airfreight and aviation-weight cargo containers would be quickly reduced to scrap by maritime, truck and rail handling. The same conflict is one of the hurdles (I'm sure there are others) facing proponents of flying cars / roadable airplanes. Flying is tough, but it's different than hitting a big pothole or being backed into by a forklift.

Frank Tinsley interpretation of the Packplane concept so to see...