40.1 KB · Views: 383
  • Future_Models_Gal_F_SEP09.jpg
    Future_Models_Gal_F_SEP09.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 391
  • SEP09_Cover.jpg
    SEP09_Cover.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 932
Gotta get that issue.

BTW, there was an article in the IPMS,USA Modeler's Journal of Jan 92, that had story on the F-117 by Dick Cole. In it, he tells about a classified 1/48 model Lockheed had made in metal, that they would use to brief members on Congress about SENIOR TREND. When they needed to take it to a meeting, they would have an AF officer in civilian clothes take the model in a locked metal case that was handcuffed to his wrist. It makes me wonder if there have been "classified" model shops? The article in Air & Space said the NG shop didn't need special goverment security clearences.

What??? A single engine F-23 Looks GREAAAAT!!!!

Attachments

• Future_Models_Gal_A_SEP09.jpg
    Future_Models_Gal_A_SEP09.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 299
That project is shown here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1748.0.html

Hmmmm would really love to see the 'needle nosed hypersonic model' he has in the collection. Hope its in the magazine, if not I'll be a tad disapointed.

So how did Convair's 200A end up on the cover? ???

Any black budget funds to build prototypes of these models?

Quick question guys:

A: What's the plane in the foreground on the right side of the picture. I almost want to speculate that it's some kind of single-seat variant of the NGB. But that's just my impression.

On that flip side, that would suck because I cooked up a simple doodle last year of what a single-seat NGB could look like. I guess Northrop might have had the same idea too.

B: And how about the white lifting body in the background

Oh how I so want those models.

Errrrrr... yep. Whazzat ? I mean, the white thing (cropped here)

Attachments

• NG-white-TAV-0909.jpg
    NG-white-TAV-0909.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 102
AL,

the National Photographic Interpretation Center, which was formerly a component of the CIA Directorate of Science and Technology, had its own (presumable classified) model shop until 1996:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/library/report/2007/deep-politics-5-3-1.htm
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/650/1

Martin

Actually, it looks like there still is a model shop at the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency doing work like the original NPIC outfit (see article on page 12 of the PDF):
http://www.nga.mil/NGASiteContent/StaticFiles/OCR/julyaug07.pdf

And they're (sometimes) hiring, too!
http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/7bx6rfaklx/model-maker-jobs/

Martin

For the God's sake, how man with credit card can buy this specific issue?

A: What's the plane in the foreground on the right side of the picture. I almost want to speculate that it's some kind of single-seat variant of the NGB. But that's just my impression.

On that flip side, that would suck because I cooked up a simple doodle last year of what a single-seat NGB could look like. I guess Northrop might have had the same idea too.

B: And how about the white lifting body in the background

Oh how I so want those models.

t seems that the complete list of the models on the cover is at the bttom of page 74 of the magazine. Whoever get it first, please post...
Moreover, the author of the article has a collection of models, some of which are visible here http://www.chadslattery.com/x/Chad_Slattery_X_Plane_Model_Collection.html, not the most interesting for SP, I fear...
And BTW, not all the models on the cover are Northrop Grumman's: the first on the right is one of the configurations of the Douglas Model 1364, their WS-302A-TBX proposal.

Skybolt said:
t seems that the complete list of the models on the cover is at the bttom of page 74 of the magazine. Whoever get it first, please post...

I believe that this can be reasonably posted despite the normal injuction against posting scans of current publications, since it does not give you what you *really* want... the cover.

Attachments

• airandspace.gif
    airandspace.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 421
In the current issue (September 09) of the Smithsonian's Air and Space, the cover story is about model makers who work for the major aicraft companies and the projects they work on. Very interesting, and the cover there are models of 11 Postwar aircraft projects; a key to the illustrations is on page 74.

Wes W.

overscan said:
Merged with existing topic.

Thanks very much for merging this with the topic. This was my first post to this esteemed forum; I have been a long time reader.

Wes W.

Buoght that, seen that, now asking: can someone identify at least part of the models printed in b/w on the second page of the above mentioned article (pg. 45) ? Some are repetitions of the cover: first of the first column (Grumman ATF), second of the third (FB-23) and some other. I can see clearly the Northrop Grumman joined wing QSP, but, what's the last of the second column, a VG rather large, considering the cockpit glasses (am I wrong or I can see 4 engine exhausts, an AMSA configuration ?). The third of the third column could be: a LAMP; a tactical bomber (VG ?); a STOL/VTOL attack aircraft.

Skybolt said:
Buoght that, seen that, now asking: can someone identify at least part of the models printed in b/w on the second page of the above mentioned article (pg. 45) ? Some are repetitions of the cover: first of the first column (Grumman ATF), second of the third (FB-23) and some other. I can see clearly the Northrop Grumman joined wing QSP, but, what's the last of the second column, a VG rather large, considering the cockpit glasses (am I wrong or I can see 4 engine exhausts, an AMSA configuration ?). The third of the third column could be: a LAMP; a tactical bomber (VG ?); a STOL/VTOL attack aircraft.

This edition has finally arrived in Australia and I agree identifying the models on page 45 is a worthwhile endeavor. The story isn’t just about the El Segundo model shop and not all models are Northrops.

Column 1, Picture 1 is the Grumman ATF (as above and on the cover).
Column 1, Picture 2 is the Northrop Grumman joined wing quite supersonic aircraft (as above)
Column 1, Picture 3 id the Northrop Grumman QSP/FAS-S (on the cover)
Column 1, Picture 4 is a lifting body re-entry space craft of some sort
Column 1, Picture 5 is the FB-23
Column 1, Picture 6 looks like another McDonnell ATF configuration judging by the square engine structure and cranked arrow wing
Column 2, Picture 1 is a Northrop lifting body re-entry space craft for USAF (another view of this is in a photo on Page 49)
Column 2, Picture 2 is a Northrop Grumman UCAV promoted in the 1990s before X-47 for J-UCAS (it is also in the photo on Page 49). I shall have to look up its name but have a copy of a contemporary story with it somewhere.
Column 2, Picture 3 is a light fighter/advanced trainer sized aircraft using the F-23 configuration. A sort of F-5 meets F-23 (also in the Page 49 photo).
Column 2, Picture 4 looks like another view of Column 1, Picture 4
Column 2, Picture 5 is a variable geometry, four engine, strategic bomber from the late 50s, early 60s (judging by the high vis SAC markings).
Column 3, Picture 1 is a Northrop Grumman next generation long range strike (NG-LRS) supersonic aircraft that is detailed in some of the article’s other photos (being built). It looks like a more developed version of the Future Strike Aircraft – Supersonic (FSA-S)
Column 3, Picture 2 is the FB-23
Column 3, Picture 3 looks like a configuration variant of Column 2, Picture 5 with two of the engines moved from the rear fuselage to under wing glove pylons to reduce airframe weight. It carries an impressive 16 triple ejector racks (TER) with 48 500 lb or 1,000 lb bombs.
Column 3, Picture 4 is a canard with prop fans and while it looks like some kind of COIN aircraft it is marked US Navy and is probably very big. Maybe an S-3 Viking competitor?
Column 3, Picture 5 is the Northrop Grumman next generation long range strike (NG-LRS) subsonic with the X-47B planform and wings (themselves evolved from the Northrop/Grumman/LTV ATA).
Column 3, Picture 6 looks like another early ATF with a square engine bay.

It’s a great article and a great story to the eBay FB-23…

Re: Article on Northrop Grumman model shop in September's Air & Space Smithsonia

well, I even had a short correspondence with that sprinkler sphincter who has stolen the model
(got ebay link from one guy who surely did know that case was under investigation already)

seems that he has started to understand very quickly that he has done something that he shouldn't do - he was asking what the hell is F/B-23 and isn't it classified program

he reemerged on eBay three or four years later, selling two palmas

There was some interest in this. It was an NGC mid-90s orbital spaceplane concept. Here's another view of the model.

Attachments

• OSP.jpg
    OSP.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,099
Re: Article on Northrop Grumman model shop in September's Air & Space Smithsonia

Chad Slattery said:
There was some interest in this. It was an NGC mid-90s orbital spaceplane concept.

It's my understanding that that design is NG's take on the "Black Horse" concept. Note the refueling receptacle above the cockpit.

Back
Top Bottom