Arrow shell AA system?

Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading about a post-war effort in the UK to develop a dart-like AA shell capable of reaching truly astonishing altitudes. I *think* it was to be fired from modified 3.7's, but I also have a bell going off that it was a 5".

I later read that the Germans had developed a similar shell for their 105's, but saw little or no use (and why the 105 and not 128?). Would it be the case that the UK was picking up on this research?

Does anyone have any pointers to such a project in the UK?

Probably Green Mace, a very fast firing 5-inch gun (4.2-inch also tested) that could fire sabot HE rounds. The target would have been fast jet bombers -- before guided missiles were proven, the only solution to such aircraft seemed to be high ROF and very high velocity shells to minimize time of flight.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1334.0

AFAIR, there was a scheme proposed during the A4/V2 IRBM assault on London in `44/45 to develop
a radar directed heavy AA ( based on the 3.7in calibre incorporated into the naval 5.25in gun)barrage..

.. as the only potentially feasible local-based defensive measure against the then futuristic supersonic missiles..

..Mayhaps the Arrow shell was an outgrowth of this idea, too?

There's a bit on such shells in "Battle Flight", which covers late war AA guns etc.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom