Ares I-X launch

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Ares I-X has flown today. So we now have a flightworthy Shuttle-derived project (even if it's just to validate the aerodynamics).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8330424.stm

Attachments

• mrb-Ares-I-X-on-pad-2-751203.jpg
    mrb-Ares-I-X-on-pad-2-751203.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Ares I-X.jpg
    Ares I-X.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 14
  • The-Ares-1-X-test-rocket--001.jpg
    The-Ares-1-X-test-rocket--001.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 13
Oh I see! That's a giant syringe to force-vaccinate the planet against the A-flu! Let's resist folks!

for that launch i wait 4 hours (and day bevor) with NASA TV
as i saw that stick take off
i remember something:
Saturn INT-05A
Saturn IB-INT-5B
Saturn 1B/260" SRB
that's Saturn I-IVB stage on solid rocket,
yep ARES-1 is not so new after all ::)

keep in mind that no one knows (1) whether funding is going to be requested to actually do anything with Ares, (2) whether the Administration is just going to kick the can down the road or (3) whether it's even interested that there's a can. There was recently quite a debate saying that it didn't look like Ares was going to continue and something else would be started (part of option 2), so why bother to have the flight? They costed it out and figured, given the state of the vehicle, it would be cheaper to just launch the thing and get what data they could than to try and safe it and take it apart.

So, for now, just because it flew doesn't mean we're on our way.

Stargazer2006 said:
Oh I see! That's a giant syringe to force-vaccinate the planet against the A-flu! Let's resist folks!

LOL, a syringe - so true! Talk about Trans-Lunar Injection ;)

F-14D said:
keep in mind that no one knows (1) whether funding is going to be requested to actually do anything with Ares, (2) whether the Administration is just going to kick the can down the road or (3) whether it's even interested that there's a can. There was recently quite a debate saying that it didn't look like Ares was going to continue and something else would be started (part of option 2), so why bother to have the flight? They costed it out and figured, given the state of the vehicle. it would be cheaper to just launch the thing and get what data they could than to try and safe it and take it apart.

I'm guessing 3. :mad:

sferrin said:
F-14D said:
keep in mind that no one knows (1) whether funding is going to be requested to actually do anything with Ares, (2) whether the Administration is just going to kick the can down the road or (3) whether it's even interested that there's a can. There was recently quite a debate saying that it didn't look like Ares was going to continue and something else would be started (part of option 2), so why bother to have the flight? They costed it out and figured, given the state of the vehicle. it would be cheaper to just launch the thing and get what data they could than to try and safe it and take it apart.

I'm guessing 3. :mad:

Sadly, I agree, but didn't want to rile too many people or turn this topic political in some minds, so I did the natural thing and just obfuscated. :-\