Arcologies and the 21st Century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orionblamblam said:
A lot of the acological planned communities sure sound a whole lot like malls with apartments tacked on. I've seen malls with apartments tacked on. Ick.

Now throw a nuclear reactor and chicken/cattle farm in the mix and add 250,000 people.

Its different priorities. for OBB the ability to walk outside his porch and shoot is important, for others its the ability walk outside their stoop and buy $4 coffee. I think its telling of the people who would choose to live in a mall. I worked at various malls for 5 years. my suggestion is to have nothing to do with them, nor the people who frequent them. shallow, callous people, with more money than sense who act like children, and show no self discipline nor sense of human perspective. They stuff their face from one store to the next on over priced sugar-delivery chow, while the next bright shiny thing distracts them.

TaiidanTomcat said:
Its different priorities. for OBB the ability to walk outside his porch and shoot is important,

It's not that specific. It's about a concept that seems to have fallen out of favor recently, "individual liberty." Freedom, in other words. I've seen the totalitarian nonsense that comes out of Home Owners Associations; arcologies would seem to be HOA's writ not just large, but freakin' giGANtic. You have to live a certain way, maintain a certain rather strict level of conformity in appearance, buy certain things, not buy (or at least not display) certain things on your very own property. Bleah.

Some of the HOA rules and regs make a *measure* of sense, so that one horrible family does not drive down cul-de-sac property values or such. But a lot more of the rules seem to come from nothign more than local power-made miniature tyrants who want to impose *their* vision of awesomeness of everyone else. Couple HOA dictators with wannabe emperors like Nanny Bloomberg (latest nonsense: make displaying tobacco products illegal), and then nail them to the top of the power structure in an arcology where everything *has* to be controlled... ick.

Orionblamblam said:
TaiidanTomcat said:
Its different priorities. for OBB the ability to walk outside his porch and shoot is important,

It's not that specific. It's about a concept that seems to have fallen out of favor recently, "individual liberty." Freedom, in other words. I've seen the totalitarian nonsense that comes out of Home Owners Associations; arcologies would seem to be HOA's writ not just large, but freakin' giGANtic. You have to live a certain way, maintain a certain rather strict level of conformity in appearance, buy certain things, not buy (or at least not display) certain things on your very own property. Bleah.

Some of the HOA rules and regs make a *measure* of sense, so that one horrible family does not drive down cul-de-sac property values or such. But a lot more of the rules seem to come from nothign more than local power-made miniature tyrants who want to impose *their* vision of awesomeness of everyone else. Couple HOA dictators with wannabe emperors like Nanny Bloomberg (latest nonsense: make displaying tobacco products illegal), and then nail them to the top of the power structure in an arcology where everything *has* to be controlled... ick.

keeping up property values and a nice set of "logical" and "reasonable" standards makes perfect sense until suddenly you are being asked why you aren't wearing "38 pieces of flair" ;D then it extends to other aspects of life. "why are you openly showing tobacco products?" the war on second hand smoke started as a "public health issue" and its evolved to a "my innocent eyes need protection" issue. There are no ill health effects from witnessing a tobacco display. ::) ::) and yet here we are.

the idea was to preempt cancer in non smokers because of second hand smoke, now its about pre empting preemption, by taxing tobacco, and finally hiding it from sight.

Again you are taking a large urban area and collecting it into a single small area, then ratcheting it up to an 11. Will the arcology have a prison?

9 pages of discussion already, not sure of the value of this topic continuing. Let me know if you have something to add worth reopening this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.