Anybody can id all Aircraft in this pic ?

seruriermarshal

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I take it from here : http://home.earthlink.net/~aztecdoug/id3.html

Attachments

• golden_age_test_flight_crop.jpg
    golden_age_test_flight_crop.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 504
This seems like a good challenge. I can ID most of those planes. Now I don't know the specific details for the B-29s and B-52 if they had different designations.

Here's my try for the ones I can tell:
X-1, X-2, X-3 Stiletto, X-4 Bantam, X-5, X-15, YB-49, STS ( shuttle ), 747-100SR Mothership, NB-52 Mothership, B-29 Motherships, XB-70 Valkyrie, H-21 Shawnee, X-13 Vertijets, T-38 Talon, T-33 Shooting Star, YF-107 "Ultra Saber", F-86 Sabre, Douglas Skyrocket, and that's all I can name. The other plane next to the Bantam is unknown to me.

What's the delta canard between the X-3 Stiletto and the X-4 Bantam? It looks like just my kind of thing.

Cheers, Woody

That's the NAA X-10, a demonstrator for the Navajo cruise missile.

Just a comment on the F-107 - I'm not trying to be a "know-it-all" (I know very little about military aircraft, just a hobbyist), but since Bill Simone, the author of the F-107 book published by Steve Ginter, is a personal friend of the family, I thought I'd clarify some things. In the introduction to his book, Bill states four myths, which I've quoted two of them directly:

Myth Number 1 "The aircraft was called YF-101A or XF-107A. The aircraft was never designated as either XF-107A or YF-107A. The contract, data plate, manuals, official NAA and Air Force reports, and NAA drawings all clarly arefer to the aircraft as the F-107A. Yes, it was a prototype, and yes, it was never put into production, but that does not automatically give it an X or Y prefix.

Myth Number 2 "'The aircraft was named or called 'Ultra Sabre'. It was not. The aircraft never had a popular name or nickname. This included "Super Super Sabre'. This has been confirmed by various conversations with the F-107A pilots, ground crew and engineers. All expressed surprise when asked about this."

convairxf92 said:
Myth Number 1 "The aircraft was called YF-101A or XF-107A. The aircraft was never designated as either XF-107A or YF-107A. The contract, data plate, manuals, official NAA and Air Force reports, and NAA drawings all clarly arefer to the aircraft as the F-107A. Yes, it was a prototype, and yes, it was never put into production, but that does not automatically give it an X or Y prefix.

I think you meant YF-107A, not YF-101A... I'm surprised by what you're stating here but I won't contend with you because obviously Simone did research the matter thoroughly. My explanation for this is that the F-107A started as the F-100B, and the YF-100A must have been considered as the prototypes for the whole series. Yet it is such a different aircraft that it's extremely surprising the F-107A didn't get a prefix, albeit temporarily.

convairxf92 said:
Myth Number 2 "'The aircraft was named or called 'Ultra Sabre'. It was not. The aircraft never had a popular name or nickname. This included "Super Super Sabre'. This has been confirmed by various conversations with the F-107A pilots, ground crew and engineers. All expressed surprise when asked about this."

"Ultra Sabre" could have been a company-planned name rejected by the customer, like "Rising Star" for the XFV-1. But again, I have no evidence for this.

While used by the NACA, 55118 and 55120 were temporarily redesignated as JF-107A.
The 'J' reflected the temporary nature of the flight-test modifications.
- North American F-107A by William Simone, Aerophile Volume 1, Number 5

Stargazer2006 said:
"Ultra Sabre" could have been a company-planned name rejected by the customer, like "Rising Star" for the XFV-1. But again, I have no evidence for this.

Um. Right. "Ultra Sabre" could just as easily been made up by writers and copy editors looking for nifty article titles for the last forty years starting with Air Classics in the 1970s. It was not in use in the literature of the time of the actual program (1954-57).

But back to the subject of Mike Machat's wonderful painting... there is only one X-13, the other VTO delta aircraft is the Convair XFY. There are also a number of small details that do not show up in this resolution - such as the Gilbert XF-120 (with chase) pulling up over the desert in the lower right quadrant!

convairxf92 said:

...Might I recommend you or someone else repeat this point of clarification on the Wikipedia entry for the F-107?

aim9xray said:
There are also a number of small details that do not show up in this resolution - such as the Gilbert XF-120 (with chase) pulling up over the desert in the lower right quadrant!

Of course I presume you DO know you are actually refering to the Martin XB-51... The "XF-120" was its Hollywood guise, and there is no reason why a fake aircraft would find itself on an official USAF poster...

Well, yes, I do, and yes, there is. The "XF-120" was included in the painting as an "insider" homage to the motion picture "Towards the Unknown" which of course was filmed at Edwards AFB and used the remaining XB-51 marked as the "Gilbert XF-120".

The original ten by twenty foot painting is on display at the Air Force Flight Test Center Museum at Edwards AFB.

Attached is an image of some of the museum displays with part of the painting visible in the background (sorry about the clutter in the foreground... <smile> ).

Attachments

• NAR F-15.jpg
    NAR F-15.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 301
verner said:
I don't see an F-107 in there.

That's because it isn't there. ;D

Golden_Age_of_Flight_Test.jpg

North American Rockwell NR-335, the contender for the FX (F-15) program.