They seem to be drifting towards higher-intensity operations, with some offensive capabilities distributed to largish USVs. For air defence, they'd have a proper Type 83 and Type 91 but I was thinking that maybe the MRSS would have a '93A' loaded for land attack.

I certainly agree that the Ellida in all of its iterations is still under-armed. I'll shed another tear for Steller Systems.

BTW, there are a couple of Dragonfire directors shown - one on a dais protruding from the superstructure behind the missile pack and the other just aft of the starboard funnel.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the official requirements are when they're released.
Steller Systems were great. Amazing original ships and concepts. It's a shame they were in Britain where defence spending and naval upkeep was well underfunded.

Fearless with some modifications would have made a fantastic Type 83
 
https://www.navylookout.com/how-dutch-thinking-shaped-the-royal-navys-next-amphibious-ship/

The header image is only a render done for Navy Lookout and is in way official, but does illustrate where current thinking might be going.

Understanding how and why the programme changed requires first examining the Dutch operational and industrial thinking that shaped it.

For more than two decades, the RNLN has relied on two complementary support ship classes. The Rotterdam-class landing platform docks provide amphibious capability for Marines, vehicles, helicopters and landing craft during expeditionary operations, humanitarian missions and NATO deployments. Alongside them, the Holland-class offshore patrol vessels conduct maritime security, constabulary operations, Caribbean presence missions and low-intensity deployments, allowing higher-end combatants to focus on collective defence.


Beyond that role, the Ministry envisages a broader mission set. The same ships will undertake maritime security, humanitarian assistance, disaster relief, strategic sealift, Caribbean deployments and NATO reassurance missions. This reflects the operational experience of both the Rotterdam and Holland classes, whose deployments have regularly extended beyond their original roles.

The ATS cannot be understood solely as a replacement programme for ageing British and Dutch amphibious and patrol ships. Its foundations lie in a much earlier Dutch effort to combine amphibious support, maritime security and other lower-intensity missions within a common and more adaptable fleet.
 
I have never quite understood why the British built an LPH as opposed to an LHA or LHD .
For that matter I've never quite understood British Amphibious theory actually I often found myself wondering if they actually have one.
 
I have never quite understood why the British built an LPH as opposed to an LHA or LHD .
For that matter I've never quite understood British Amphibious theory actually I often found myself wondering if they actually have one.
The British have a long history of using LPH's, starting from 1956 Suez and the helicopter assault tactics they developed there.
 
I have never quite understood why the British built an LPH as opposed to an LHA or LHD .
For that matter I've never quite understood British Amphibious theory actually I often found myself wondering if they actually have one.

There's some logic there, given that the RN force at the time also had a pair of LPDs but not much in the way of high-speed ship-to-shore capacity. The dock ships would have to close in to launch their landing craft, while the LPH could stay further offshore while launching helos.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom