An alternate F-11 Tiger

Also, the RM8 is gigantic for a fighter engine. The J52 is 2300-lb engine, and while adding an afterburner will make it heavier I seriously doubt it'll come out anywhere near the 5200-lb RM8.

Seems the J52 grew obese for powering airliners and the Swedes inherited from that ?
exactly! The dodge Ike used was transferring "civilian" engine tech not the military stuff; still same basic core just need to play some reindeer games. The early civil ones were just heavier than the military units, same basic diameter and length though according to wiki but the later models were much bigger around and had a massive increase in air flow requirements....and were about as heavy as a J-57

https://flyingleathernecks.org/project/vought-f8u-2ne-f-8ej-crusader/ posting this for later reference on any impact on Marine corps F-8 numbers. If we assume that the Alt-Tiger beats the F-3 and is thus retained in service until at least 1964 in active duty service making RN adoption possible, we then have to decide if they go for a B model with the J-79 or stick to the J-65. If they stick with the J-65 that would be another 240 units all of which would be out of active service by '64 replacing the later models of F-3's fates and numbers in the TL. However if they go the J-79 route that would open up partial adoption by the Marines at the very least because of the greater ground attack capacity which would carry the type through at least 1967 or when the last Marine squadrons were transitioned to the F-4J Phantom.

Still chewing on this but I could see a 50/50 split between a J-79 B model and F-8 with parallel upgrade paths over the same span of years with phase out in reserve squadrons about the same time. This would leave some low-ISH hour airframes in the early mid '70s available at about the time the RN would be considering doing a model refresh/update to keep them viable until the expected pull dates of Eagle and Victorious which I would anticipate being '78 for Vickie and '80 for Eagle with potential for call up reactivation for four years after just in case. That leaves a possible need to keep the Alt until maximum '84 or going full Harrier when Hermes goes Commando though that seems weird to me for Eagle. I think we would be in agreement that if they could get a new build instead of a rebuild of Ark Royal the odds of them getting a second one post 1972 is about ZERO.

Posting this here so it will get visibility and it is cued up to an important point that impacts the thread.
View: https://youtu.be/GOuQFpUhgKk?t=615
I know I was unaware of the congress mandating a single type.

So that would explain them not retaining the F-3 for CVS usage.

The whole video is good, but where I have cued it up gets right to the crux of it. He also has an episode on the Boeing 818 that is super informative and was done in cooperation with Boeing

He also has an episode on the Boeing 818 that is super informative and was done in cooperation with Boeing
Any chance you can PM me the link to his Boeing 818 presentation, as I can't seem to find it on his page :confused:

Regards
Pioneer

He also has an episode on the Boeing 818 that is super informative and was done in cooperation with Boeing
Any chance you can PM me the link to his Boeing 818 presentation, as I can't seem to find it on his page :confused:

Regards
Pioneer
I don't know how to PM and I am half a pot of coffee away from neurological function..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIiOy6zisu0&t=331s
:D, thanks mate, much appreciated!!

Regards
Pioneer

My apologies for the long post, binged the thread.

IF this alternate Tiger can live long enough for some bright lad to notice that the TF-41 is within an inch and 50 pounds of the dimensions of the J-65 then we are in business!

15,000 pounds of thrust for 30 minutes at an SFC of .664 as opposed to that same thrust on AB and an SFC IIRC of 1.9 on the J-79. Sure it would come at the cost of the same kind of performance hits the F-4k had in comparison to the standard F-4, because of the bigger intakes, but still...
Yeah, a Spey Supertiger would be absolutely NUTS!

EDIT.. doing some quick math a hypothetical 27.5 version fitted with an F-404 sometime in the late 70's should have a range as above of about 1560 and an endurance of 2 hours and 10 minutes. She would also be about 1400 pounds lighter if the weight I have for the F-404 is correct, putting her at unity under AB.
That will get into some serious ballasting to keep CG in place. I don't think you'd save a whole lot of weight there.

Never thought before that raising the nose with an extended nose wheel strut could cut so much launching speed out of a naval fighter. That explains why the Etendard IVM nose was perched so high. I suppose the most important word is "incidence" as in "Crusader variable incidence wing". "Varied incidence nosewheel strut" - VINS
Yep! Even the little Cessnas have ground-adjustable incidence wings: the rear spar is held onto the airframe with a 5" or so diameter bushing that has one bolt through it (4 bolts total per wing, leading and trailing spars, plus each end of the strut). You usually attach the wings so that the bolt is at the 3 oclock or 9 oclock position, and can tweak until the pilot likes how it flies.

That 133 MPH is minimum safe approach speed.. power on STALL was 105. I listed it and the adjustments for additional wing area in the first post... it does get potentially dicey at some weights on the CVS but it is worth it to have a higher performance all weather fighter on it. Might actually push the USN to do a turboprop conversion on the S2/E1's so you could get a tanker function or just launch at a slightly lower fuel state to give some margin.
One thing that has confused me for a long time is why the USN didn't do a turboprop conversion on the S2/E1/C1s. What else on the CVS was still using AVGAS?

Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but it seems to fit.
Why do the US and UK navies go for ever larger aircraft in this period when it is clear that smaller aircraft would be easier to use even on the Forrestals.
We seem to have reversed the process since the 80s with F14 giving way to F18 and then to F35.
The paper exercise here with SuperTiger suggests there were other options.
The electronics was a big driver of size. Vacuum tube electronics are huge and heavy. Then you need more range, because the Soviets have 300+km range missiles to deal with...

Also, remember that the F18 is a replacement for the F4, not the Tomcat.

APQ-72 in its earliest form was 24 inch too so it would fit in the nose of the Cru III. For this thread and the RN using the aircraft the possibility of the 18 inch AI.23 leaves open the question of staying with the 18 inch dish allowing a greater range of motion for the dish or upgrading to 24 with the same range of motion... the additional volume would allow for tacking on electronics needed for Sparrow usage on the AI.23 central core in either case.
I'd go for the bigger dish, for more radar range. That makes the dish have 78% more area.

I wish I had more information on what they in the AN-1 project to this aircraft.. the way they folded her up was like origami!
I strongly suspect that they went with the old Gumman Sto-wing that twists and folds.

Ya know, since we're talking about trying to short circuit the weight spiral, what about removing the guns? The 20mm Colt Mk12 weighed 101.4 pounds. And the Tiger had 4 of them. Per the SAC sheet, it also had 500 rounds of 20mm ammo. The only thing it doesn't state is whether it was 500 rounds per gun or total. Assuming it was 500 rounds total with each gun having 125 rounds each, you're saving a minimum of 527 pounds out of the airframe (not including the mounting hardware for the guns and ammunition stowage). That's a pretty significant savings. And once you include all the associated equipment, you're looking at close to a 550 pound savings. You can also subtract the weight of the AN/APG-30 (or AN/APS-67) from the aircraft. That will at least help offset some of the added weight from replacing the gun radar with something like the AN/APQ-83 or -84. Given you're trying to make this a light carrier capable aircraft, you don't need the AN/APQ-72 and Sparrows. You need a basic search radar and Sidewinders. That's much more doable than trying to finagle a "Phantom-Lite" into an airframe as maxed out as the Tiger's is
No, the lesson of Vietnam is to NEVER remove guns. Might drop down to a pair of DEFA/ADEN 30mm instead of the crappy Colt 20mm, but that won't save you much weight. A DEFA 30mm weighs in at about 190lbs/gun and the ammunition is heavier than the 20x110mm.

Another light fighter possibility for the RN if it had relaxed its requirements and gone for numbers rather than capability can be found here:
That's a very false economy.

We can argue for a Twosader or Super Twoger with APQ-72 and 4x Sparrows with 4x Sidewinders, which will generally outperform the F-4 while being much lighter and cheaper to operate (one engine means half the fuel burned and half the maintenance).

But you're not going to chase the Bears away with some Sidewinders.

and some of that weight is in the WTF category of changes/amendments to the aircraft we have no information on.. and some of them look to be more fuel.. which is super curious to me since the J-79 was 250 pounds lighter than the J-65. As I recall I don't remember Corky mentioning any frame strengthening
I agree with @H_K 's analysis:
My read is the basic Super Tiger conversion (98J-1) added ~400lbs, the multirole 98J-5 added another ~800lbs, and the all-weather 98J-2 with Sparrow added another ~800lbs.

The 400lbs for the 98J-1 probably came from all the small airframe changes to optimize for supersonic flight (e.g. longer tailcone, added wing blivets, dorsal launcher for Aim-9s etc) even if the J79 engine itself was 250lbs lighter.

The 800lbs for the J-5 probably came mostly from strengthening and adding air-to-ground capability (including 2 new wing pylons and heavier drop tanks), as the original F11F didn’t have a very strong airframe (6.5g load factor and low max. landing weight). Plus further aerodynamic refinements (larger nose & canopy), more avionics compared to the very basic F11F (APQ-50 radar, improved navigation, radios etc).

The 800lbs for the J-2 probably was mostly avionics, including ~250lbs for Sparrow III capability, plus some more for an improved electrical system etc.
Agreed, that's likely what happened. Each change sounds about right in terms of weight.

Assuming that’s old JP4 fuel @ 6.5lbs/gal so add ~4.5% for JP5 @ 6.8lbs/gal, which gives you 10,240lbs… close enough.
When did the USN change from JP4 to JP5? After the Forrest Fire?

When did the USN change from JP4 to JP5? After the Forrest Fire?
JP-4 was the USAF standard from 1951-95. It was replaced in USAF use by JP-8, starting in 1979 in the UK and completing throughout USAF facilities in 1995.

JP-5 was developed in 1952 specifically for ship-board use, and the USN has used it as the sole ship-authorized jet fuel since the early-mid 1950s. {This surprised me, as I thought it had been adopted later - but I saw the 1950s date from multiple sources.}
See page 1 here: https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/aviation-tech-review.pdf

Chevron fuel excerpt.jpg

One thing that has confused me for a long time is why the USN didn't do a turboprop conversion on the S2/E1/C1s. What else on the CVS was still using AVGAS?
Because they didn't see the need to. All those types were being replaced with new types. The E-1 and C-1 were being replaced with a common airframe (the E-2 Hawkeye and C-2 Greyhound), while the S-2 was getting replaced by the S-3 Viking. With new types incoming, there was no real reason to do a major modification of the older planes.

No, the lesson of Vietnam is to NEVER remove guns. Might drop down to a pair of DEFA/ADEN 30mm instead of the crappy Colt 20mm, but that won't save you much weight. A DEFA 30mm weighs in at about 190lbs/gun and the ammunition is heavier than the 20x110mm.
True, but the design of the Super Tiger predated Vietnam. With a focus on trying to keep the plane as light as possible, it's realistic given the then popular design principles and Navy fighter tactics. At that time, the Navy and Air Force both believed that guns were only useful for ground attack, since aerial combat was expected to be all long range missile duels. Given those factors, deleting the guns would be a realistic change.

JP-4 was the USAF standard from 1951-95. It was replaced in USAF use by JP-8, starting in 1979 in the UK and completing throughout USAF facilities in 1995.

JP-5 was developed in 1952 specifically for ship-board use, and the USN has used it as the sole ship-authorized jet fuel since the early-mid 1950s. {This surprised me, as I thought it had been adopted later - but I saw the 1950s date from multiple sources.}
See page 1 here: https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/aviation-tech-review.pdf
Thanks!

Because they didn't see the need to. All those types were being replaced with new types. The E-1 and C-1 were being replaced with a common airframe (the E-2 Hawkeye and C-2 Greyhound), while the S-2 was getting replaced by the S-3 Viking. With new types incoming, there was no real reason to do a major modification of the older planes.
Except for the carriers too small to operate E/C2s.

True, but the design of the Super Tiger predated Vietnam. With a focus on trying to keep the plane as light as possible, it's realistic given the then popular design principles and Navy fighter tactics. At that time, the Navy and Air Force both believed that guns were only useful for ground attack, since aerial combat was expected to be all long range missile duels. Given those factors, deleting the guns would be a realistic change.
Arguable, but I do see your point.

The Crusader pilots certainly thought that no plane without guns was a fighter...

Except for the carriers too small to operate E/C2s.
Nope. Both types flew off the Essex class. They were designed with operation from the class in mind. Here's a Hawkeye prepping to launch from Oriskany:
https___s3.amazonaws.com_the-drive-staging_message-editor%2F1485299724397-mdmd.jpg
And behind it, you can see an even bigger plane parked behind the island, the A-3 Skywarrior. IIRC, that's one of, if not the, largest planes to ever fly from a carrier.

Arguable, but I do see your point.

The Crusader pilots certainly thought that no plane without guns was a fighter...
True. But the Crusader III (the Mach 2+, Sparrow armed version) also ditched the guns. So deleting the guns makes sense as being what the Navy and Grumman would probably do.

I decided to try and draw a possible advanced version of the Super Tiger, featuring an M61 Vulcan cannon instead of the 4 20 mm cannons, a grand total of 6 hardpoints, a radar and the new engine, i also tried to relocate the airbrakes in the back (yes i took them from the F-105) i am going to continue the drawings and i want to take info if there are ideas for relocation of anything. (i just re-did the back part to make the engine bigger because i noticed it was too tiny so imagine it a bit fatter in the back)
1713783977738.png

Last edited:
Seems the J52 grew obese for powering airliners and the Swedes inherited from that ?

exactly! The dodge Ike used was transferring "civilian" engine tech not the military stuff; still same basic core just need to play some reindeer games. The early civil ones were just heavier than the military units, same basic diameter and length though according to wiki but the later models were much bigger around and had a massive increase in air flow requirements....and were about as heavy as a J-57

The RM8 was a militarized JT8D-22. The JT8D is a low-bypass turbofan development of the JT8A/B - the civilian designation of the J52 turbojet.

Much as adding a bypass fan section to the J57 (JT3A) produced the TF33 (JT3D), P&W added a bypass fan section to the JT8A to produce one of the most widely-used low-bypass turbofans in commercial use.

Later JT8D-200 series engines that produce even more thrust are even are replacing JT3D engines!

Back
Top Bottom