American Secret Projects: Bombers etc after 1974 needed

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The recently issued Secret Projects Volume 4 on US Bombers is a large book and stops in 1974 .

As you have probably guessed I am greedy to know if we are going to get a volume taking us beyond 1974 into the era of the B2 and A12 not to mention the full story of alternatives to the S3 Viking including the VSTOL ones.

Sorry to be asking for more.

US Secret Projects n.3 has some pretty interesting stuff, arriving to almost current projects (KC-X, KC-Y, stealthy cargo projects etc...). The carrier COD chapter is particularly interesting.
If you like more modern stuff, Tony Chong book on Northrop projects is a MUST HAVE.
Another Secret Projects book that includes modern stuff is the one about Tailless Aircrafts and Flying Wings.

Sorry gents, but I'm afraid this is one I cannot do for you. I finished with the B-1 because I was fairly certain of getting good materials for designs up to this point (same applies to fighters as well). Despite being nearly 50 years ago, detailed materials more recent than 1974 (covering stealth for example) are much more sensitive and difficult to get hold of - especially for someone like me living outside the US. Don't forget, despite the near-50 year figure, the B-1 and B-2 are still in service, which keeps a lot of archive doors closed. The task might be easier for someone working closer to these programmes.

On top of this, I have 3 more books planned for Crecy (one to be an update of ASP Jet Fighters - hopefully in a couple of years) and then I wish to wind down my activities somewhat (I will be 67 by then).

Very best wishes to you all. Tony.

I suspect that we may be surprised with the “official” histories that eventually emerge from the relevant manufacturers for this period; with issues like legacy (and in particular reputation and “brand” management) in mind we may find that for some of them everything is rather less haphazard and rather more prepared and documented (and pre-cleared through official channels) than has been the case for previous periods.

Or maybe I’m just being too optimistic.

"Sorry gents, but I'm afraid this is one I cannot do for you"

Tony, what you already did for aviation enthusiasts goes beyond our wildest dreams. In my interest for aircraft design story there's "before Tony Buttler" and "after Tony Buttler" because very few book existed on unbuilt projects. It was after your first volume in "secret projects" series many authors wrote books on the subject, following the style you proposed. For example those above, cited by Ingraman on post#3. I also recommend S. Lowther documents.

So I want to send you my deepest gratitude and consideration above all.

It would be great to enjoy a full book on US bomber design since 1974 but it's OK.

Why always only bombers or fighter planes? Why not a Secret Projects book about training planes, liaison planes and the like?

Why always only bombers or fighter planes? Why not a Secret Projects book about training planes, liaison planes and the like?
Please excuse the self promotion: http://www.crecy.co.uk/teach-for-the-sky
Not exclusively a secret project book, but there's a ton of projects in it. Publication date is likely to be later than advertised though.

or helicopters!
It's been tried but both myself and Chris Gibson have been told people don't buy books on helicopters - or at best they might buy books on helicopters that have chain guns and missiles.
Having stood at IPMS Telford and tried to sell a book on helicopters I can assure you its hard work... but since Chris started the Blue Envoy helicopters series I've noticed a lot more books on helicopters starting to come through.
Perhaps the problem with helicopters is that unless you break it down you're dealing with a whole class of aircraft - everything from light choppers, load lifters, ASW types and gunships - so that tends to make a varied cross-section that might not capture everyone's taste.

Please excuse the self promotion: http://www.crecy.co.uk/teach-for-the-sky
Not exclusively a secret project book, but there's a ton of projects in it. Publication date is likely to be later than advertised though.

- so that tends to make a varied cross-section that might not capture everyone's taste.
So, when will you start work on the companion volume, British Training Aircraft 1912 - 1945? ;)

.....may not capture everyone's taste but could introduce them to a whole new wider world. Worth a try

Gentlemen. Thank you very much indeed for your kind comments. These words are very humbling, but it is also great to know that my books have proved so valuable to others.

I have been working in this field for over 25 years and have always said it is a hobby for a living. I never envisaged my early research would take me so far, and over time give me so many new friends worldwide. I have been very lucky, but I think we are all very lucky to work in, or at least be involved in, the world of aviation. It is special! And this is a special forum! Thank you again!

Tony.

My dear Tony,

you are my hero in aviation,consider you a first one,and my dear PaulMM is the second,
when I saw your early books about Secret aircraft in 1997,I felt a new generation for
flight was begun.

Sorry gents, but I'm afraid this is one I cannot do for you. I finished with the B-1 because I was fairly certain of getting good materials for designs up to this point (same applies to fighters as well). Despite being nearly 50 years ago, detailed materials more recent than 1974 (covering stealth for example) are much more sensitive and difficult to get hold of - especially for someone like me living outside the US. Don't forget, despite the near-50 year figure, the B-1 and B-2 are still in service, which keeps a lot of archive doors closed. The task might be easier for someone working closer to these programmes.

On top of this, I have 3 more books planned for Crecy (one to be an update of ASP Jet Fighters - hopefully in a couple of years) and then I wish to wind down my activities somewhat (I will be 67 by then).

Very best wishes to you all. Tony.

"Sorry gents, but I'm afraid this is one I cannot do for you"

Tony, what you already did for aviation enthusiasts goes beyond our wildest dreams. In my interest for aircraft design story there's "before Tony Buttler" and "after Tony Buttler" because very few book existed on unbuilt projects. It was after your first volume in "secret projects" series many authors wrote books on the subject, following the style you proposed. For example those above, cited by Ingraman on post#3. I also recommend S. Lowther documents.

So I want to send you my deepest gratitude and consideration above all.

It would be great to enjoy a full book on US bomber design since 1974 but it's OK.
Scott Lowther has described several post-1974 US bomber and attack aircraft projects in several issues of Aerospace Projects Review, and he may one day write a book covering post-1974 long-range bomber projects with emphasis on designs for the ATB competition and pre-ATF studies, but also publicly disclosed proposals for the NGB program.

It would be nice if 3-views of the different variants studied in the '83/'84 timeframe for the B-2 when low-altitude penetration was added. There were some interesting one.