American Bomber Development in WW2

famvburg said:
And the A-26 was, at the time, an ATTACK.

But the attack and bomber missions can be more easily packaged into one single book that the fighters... don't you think so?

Question: did the Bell P-59A was considered for any other use than experimental jet-fighter??

http://www.aircraftmagazine.co.uk/view_issue.asp?ID=4646

Excellent article about Convair's B-32 extracted from Bill Norton's book.

I already own "US Experimental & Prototype Aircraft Projects: Fighters 1939-1945" which is a nice book if you want to learn about technical evolution of US fighters. Surprisingly USN torpedo bombers are also present in its pages.

A P-59 photo in the cover of a book titled "American Bomber Development in WW2" isn't the best idea if you want to sell it. I recommend Mr. Norton to hire another marketing agent for the next book ;)

But if I have to decide my order on that Classic Aircraft article I have no doubt. I'LL BUY A COPY. In only four pages I've learnt more about the XB-32 than in a whole monographic work: Consolidated B-32 Dominator

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0764324519

That Schiffer book is the kind of work I hate. Hard covers, 1st class paper, deluxe edition: expensive. The text: lot of facts and photos about undercarriage, oil preassure systems and miscellaneous details. Sir, I don't want to buy a replica in my backyard!. I want to learn about the program, design story, technical innovations...

This why I think American Bomber Development in WW2 could be a good book despite its unfortunate cover.

There was a decent book on the B-32 some years ago, which didn't enjoy a very good circulation:

Dominator - The Story of the Consolidated B-32 Bomber (published by the Pictorial Histories Publishing Company in Missoula, Montana - no date).

It can still be purchased online: http://www.amazon.com/Dominator-Story-Consolidated-B-32-Bomber/dp/0933126387

712348-L.jpg

Thanks for the link Stargazer. That book seems a more rational alternative to Schiffer's volume

Well, looky here - they've come up with a more appropriate cover design.

Attachments

• American Bomber Aircraft Development.jpg
    American Bomber Aircraft Development.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 353
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have it on order with Amazon which says it's out, but they don't have it in stock yet, but have other sellers who have it. Amazon-UK says it not due out until the end of the year. And the last time I checked the Ian Allan website I couldn't find it. Plus the fact that every seller for it I've seen is still showing the old cover.

AL said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have it on order with Amazon which says it's out, but they don't have it in stock yet, but have other sellers who have it. Amazon-UK says it not due out until the end of the year. And the last time I checked the Ian Allan website I couldn't find it. Plus the fact that every seller for it I've seen is still showing the old cover.

I'm finding the same problem...

Of course I just checked Ian Allan again and it's on their home page, showing the new cover and saying it's in stock.

I finally got my copy, but since Amazon's poor packing job destroyed the dust jacket, I was forced to return it for a replacement copy; fortunately they are in stock right now and I should have a new copy quite soon. I did give it a quick once-through and was generally impressed. I should point out that I saw nothing about carrier-based bombers, though. I was particularly impressed with the coverage of the B-36 mockup; we think of it as a postwar aircraft but it was designed to a wartime requirement.

I think the carrier based bombers were covered in the fighters volume.

gatoraptor said:
I was particularly impressed with the coverage of the B-36 mockup; we think of it as a postwar aircraft but it was designed to a wartime requirement.

Pre-war actually, and the original specification was well beyond the contemporary state of the art, so it was backed down to represent the B-36 as it actually evolved.

I received my copy via the excellent sevices from AviationBookCentre in the U.K.
It's a very well researched book in the same format as the Midland S.P.series.
It covers U.S.bomber development from the B-17 tot the XB-49 with a lot of good photo's
-some in color- detail shots and a many drawings...
Remarcable :a photo of a B-29 nose mockup with a stepped windscreen
and a cutaway drawing of the Bell model 17 attack bomber...

Damn, seems that another one is trying to sink my budget! By the way, I can really recommend The Book Depository. Although their packing isn't the best, their service is excellent: I once got a book with cocked spine and severely creased dustjacket. I complained about this and they quickly responded that I can either get my money back or the'd send a replacement copy. I took the latter and I didn't even have to send the faulty copy back!

Ordered my copy via Abe books...next week I'll post a review.

A bit delayed review but here we go. I've read many chapters and I've also compared with some articles and chapters from magazines and books. If you're interested in the topic this is possible the best book available. Great work Mr Norton!

Very readable yet technical, informative, comprehensive and sistematic work. Highly recomendable, possibly indispensable.

The picture collection worths every cent with a few previously unknown unbuilt projects and variants but a host of rare details from the most popular bombers is included.

A question for anyone who has read this book.

According to one of the review posted on amazon.com web-site this book suffers from a large number of typos, especially in the second half.

Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom