• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Albatros W 8

TASSE

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I am not sure if this was a secret project or not, but for years now i have been looking for information on the T tailed Albatros W 8 of 1918. This was a twin float biplane.

Photos & partiularly a 3 view drawing would be welcome.

Cheers TASSE.

airman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
zeef.com
any other information i don't know, i suppose was a deveploment of Albatros W4 ( floatplane)
http://www.historicaircraft.org/WW1-Gallery/pages/Albatros-W8.html

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A photo of the Albatros W.8 can be found at the following link:

The German Wiki site uses the same photo, but at least there the description makes clear, that it doesn't actually show the
W.8, mentioning that it used a T-tail. The W.8 was a much more modern design, compared to the shown one, see the photo
from Jack Herris "German Seaplane Fighters of WW I"
The Wiki photo shows the Albatross WDD from 1913, according to "Wasserflugzeuge - Flugboote, Amphibien,Schwimmerflugzeuge"
from the series "Die deutsche Luftfahrt", Bernard & Graefe publishing

Attachments

• W-8.jpg
    W-8.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
Something that has mystified me is the attitude of early aircraft designers that a clear forward view for the pilot is unnecessary. The pilot's view forward in the W-8 is cluttered, but he does have some sight of what is directly in front of his airplane. A number of WWI types have a radiator or fuselage structure blocking the pilot's view.

Anyone know why the early designers were so unconcerned about the pilot's forward view?

dan_inbox

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Anyone know why the early designers were so unconcerned about the pilot's forward view?
I don't think it was lack of concern: It was juggling priorities.
In those early times they had difficulty cooling engines, and getting the radiator into the propwash was just more important.