Albany class CG modernization

chuck4

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In the late 1970s, it was planned to modernize the Alany class CGs for service through the 1980s. The Albany class were full guided missile conversions of WWII era Baltimore and Oregon City class heavy cruisers. Eventually the funds allocated were diverted and the ships were decommissioned instead.

Does any one have any information on what form the modernization would take?

In late 1979 the two surviving ships (Chicago and Albany) were scheduled for massive overhauls. SM-1 (MR) missiles (which were to replace the Tartar system), as well as 2 Phalanx CIWS and 2 four-cell Harpoon missile launchers were planned to be installed, as well as a major refitting of the ships machinery, structure, and electronics. The funding appropriated for this work was diverted however, to other ships and both cruisers were finally decommissioned in 1980.

source

In late 1979 the two surviving ships (Chicago and Albany) were scheduled for massive overhauls. SM-1 (MR) missiles (which were to replace the Tartar system), as well as 2 Phalanx CIWS and 2 four-cell Harpoon missile launchers were planned to be installed, as well as a major refitting of the ships machinery, structure, and electronics. The funding appropriated for this work was diverted however, to other ships and both cruisers were finally decommissioned in 1980.

source

Hm. A bit strange; the SM-1MR was a replacement for Tartar, but what about Talos? What it was supposed to be replaced with? SM-1ER missiles seems to be most logical choice, but having both ER and MR missiles on one ship... isn't it a bit too much?

source

Hm. A bit strange; the SM-1MR was a replacement for Tartar, but what about Talos? What it was supposed to be replaced with? SM-1ER missiles seems to be most logical choice, but having both ER and MR missiles on one ship... isn't it a bit too much?

I suspect the intent was for Talos to be removed and the volume used for command and control spaces. These ships were at this point serving as fleet flagships, and more accommodation and work spaces were always wanted.

I suspect the intent was for Talos to be removed and the volume used for command and control spaces. These ships were at this point serving as fleet flagships, and more accommodation and work spaces were always wanted.

Ah, understood. So they were supposed to be turned into dedicated flagships with limited self-defense (Standards) and anti-ship (Harpoon) capabilities. Hm.

The ships would have been Albany (Atlantic Fleet) and Chicago (Pacific Fleet).Columbus was already out of service.
In the event the two Blue Ridge class command ships were used from the 80s and the CGs went into reserve with TALOS removed.
Long Beach had its TALOS removed for a planned AEGIS fit but instead served thru the 80s with TALOS replaced by two HARPOON launchers. The Albanys might have received these too if they had served in the 80s.

Last edited:

Ah, understood. So they were supposed to be turned into dedicated flagships with limited self-defense (Standards) and anti-ship (Harpoon) capabilities. Hm.

Keep in mind this is just my speculation; I don't have plans in front of me or anything. But it would make sense given that when the cruisers went away, they switched to the Blue Ridge class as fleet command ships, which had much more internal space and very little armament.

As late as 1974 Bendix proposed a Super-Talos, an all-solid state Talos (no related to the earlier SAM-N-8 Super-Talos to-be RIM-50A Typhon-LR) , and AN/SPG-51T, for TALOS-ships modernisation, as the AN/SPG-49 - AN/SPW-2 guidance radars combination was the main reliability and performance issue of the TALOS system (and previous attempts to replace them with AN/SPG-56 and AN/SPG-61 having failed) (AW&ST).

Hm! Extremely interesting! Could you please provide more data or sources that I should investigate?