• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US double ended Missile Cruiser conversions

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
Looking at these conversions they always looked especially unstable with that very tall superstructure. Why was it felt necessary when the Talos fire control radar sets weren't even mounted on top of it?

TomS

Reaction score
Looking at these conversions they always looked especially unstable with that very tall superstructure. Why was it felt necessary when the Talos fire control radar sets weren't even mounted on top of it?
Missile fire control electronics were in there, along with, I believe, the flag plot and staff accommodation.

Tzoli

Reaction score
The superstructure might be tall but also narrow so less weight as one thought. The two other tall things are the macks (mast-stacks (funnels)) which again not that heavy weight. But indeed these conversions had topweight issues due to losing ammo deep in the hull yet the missiles are mostlyabove the waterline.

Dilandu

I'm dissatisfied, which means, I exist.
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
Amongst my favourite warships were the dramatic US Navy Albany class double ended missile ships.
Mine too) Their tall, square superstructures, massive antennas are essentially the embodiment of the dawn of missile & nuclear age.

Archibald

Reaction score
Also the embodiment of ugliness, incidentally...

Last edited:

SSgtC

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Also the embodiment of ugliness, incdentally...
Then you yet to see the USN Zumwalt the RN Daring (Type 45) or the Swedish Visby classes
You just had to mention the Zumwalt didn't you? I was having a good day. We were all having a good day...
Long Beach?
At least Long Beach had a reason to look the way she did! The SCANFAR radar was a bitch to mount. There is literally no reason for Zumwalt to look the way she does. Yes, I know: stealth. They didn't need a damn tumblehome hull for stealth

Archibald

Reaction score
At least Long Beach had a reason to look the way she did! The SCANFAR radar was a bitch to mount. There is literally no reason for Zumwalt to look the way she does. Yes, I know: stealth. They didn't need a damn tumblehome hull for stealth
The supreme, absolute shame is that tumblehome hull is reminiscent of the late 19th century French battleships... the horror, the horror.

Wait...

Cheaper, smaller combat warships ?

Seemingly build by drunken naval architects ?

With tumblehome hulls ?

OMG...

...it just dawned on me... is Zumwalt Jeune école applied to USN ? OMG... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Haha
Reactions: zen

SSgtC

Reaction score
The supreme, absolute shame is that tumblehome hull is reminiscent of the late 19th century French battleships... the horror, the horror.

Wait...

Cheaper, smaller combat warships ?

Seemingly build by drunken naval architects ?

With tumblehome hulls ?

OMG...

...it just dawned on me... is Zumwalt Jeune école applied to USN ? OMG... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
No, that's the LCS. Zumwalt is many things. But cheaper and smaller ain't one of em.

Archibald

Reaction score
Ah dang. I mistook an horror for another horror.

so let me formulate it differently...

Is LCS the jeune école (catastrophic) dogma trying to doom USN ? :confused:

M. A. Rozon

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The superstructure might be tall but also narrow so less weight as one thought. The two other tall things are the macks (mast-stacks (funnels)) which again not that heavy weight. But indeed these conversions had topweight issues due to losing ammo deep in the hull yet the missiles are mostlyabove the waterline.
With regards to topweight and Superstructure, much of the new superstructure was constructed from aluminum in order to save weight. In places, the metal was three inches thick. Areas of the structure that were to be subject to blast from rocket motors was constructed of steel. As for placement of the missiles, the Talos magazine was mostly buried in the Hull. This accounted for some of the expense of their conversion. The previous conversions (the CLGs) had their magazines on the weather deck.

Personally, I have always been fascinated by this generation of missile ships and all of the proposed conversions that never took place.

Archibald

Reaction score
Personally, I have always been fascinated by this generation of missile ships and all of the proposed conversions that never took place.
Me too. It was kind of "big gun ships" last chance to shine. Light cruisers, heavy cruisers, battlecruisers, treaty battleships, full-blown-battleships.
There were plenty of finished, unfinished and mothballed ships that never got a *second* chance - Worcesters, Baltimore, Oregon, Des Moines, Alaska, South Dakota, North Carolina, Iowas... imagine, if some kind of "silver bullet" had them all turned into guided missile ships and put back into service...

...and instead, capital ships shrunk to the tonnage of large destroyers. Try telling that to WWII USN, that destroyer / frigates would kill every single ship class larger than 10 000 tons. Except for aircraft carriers or amphibious, of course.

TomS

Reaction score
Yes, they did. It's the only reason they adopted that shape.

SSgtC

Reaction score
Me too. It was kind of "big gun ships" last chance to shine. Light cruisers, heavy cruisers, battlecruisers, treaty battleships, full-blown-battleships.
There were plenty of finished, unfinished and mothballed ships that never got a *second* chance - Worcesters, Baltimore, Oregon, Des Moines, Alaska, South Dakota, North Carolina, Iowas... imagine, if some kind of "silver bullet" had them all turned into guided missile ships and put back into service...

...and instead, capital ships shrunk to the tonnage of large destroyers. Try telling that to WWII USN, that destroyer / frigates would kill every single ship class larger than 10 000 tons. Except for aircraft carriers or amphibious, of course.
The problem with converting the big ships is that, given the fire control technology of the day, they couldn't guide any more missiles than the smaller cheaper cruisers. And given you could operate two Albany class with the same manpower as Kentucky, it makes more sense to guide twice as many missiles with two ships than convert a battleship.

Tzoli

Reaction score

Yes.. though nowadays only a handful of ships armoured and those armour were only for vital spaces. Try to sink a Baltimore with standard SAM! I know Harpoons but Standard outrange them by many times!
That is why I prefer the soviet anti ship missiles, now THOSE have range!

Archibald

Reaction score

The problem with converting the big ships is that, given the fire control technology of the day, they couldn't guide any more missiles than the smaller cheaper cruisers. And given you could operate two Albany class with the same manpower as Kentucky, it makes more sense to guide twice as many missiles with two ships than convert a battleship.
That's why we needed a successfull "proto AEGIS" Typhoon system. Of course late 50's state-of-the-art would not allow it (just like the Arrow and Skylancer Sparrow II "proto AMRAAM".

Where is the "Moore law" when you need it ?

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Then you yet to see the USN Zumwalt the RN Daring (Type 45) or the Swedish Visby classes
This reminds me of people who think the 5th gen aircraft are ugly because they don't look like F-104s or Mirages. I'll take "more effective" over "looks pretty" all day long.

SSgtC

Reaction score
This reminds me of people who think the 5th gen aircraft are ugly because they don't look like F-104s or Mirages. I'll take "more effective" over "looks pretty" all day long.
Honestly, I think the F-22 looks damn good. Sexy even. The F-35 OTOH...

Tzoli

Reaction score
Yes, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-22 are all great looking ones, F-35 is like a one engined chubby F-22.
F-18 is so-so, good plane, effective but retired my favourite carrier plane the F-14.
Gripen, EF-2000, MiG-29, Su-27,35,37,47 PAK-FA are all great looking planes

SSgtC

Reaction score
I'd say that the Viggen is a pretty good looking plane too

uk 75

Reaction score
As of USS Albany:
I think these ships just looked impressive and futuristic with their huge TALOS systems and the Macks and massive bridges. Elegant, no. Svelt, no. Pretty, no. The RN Countys (even with the Seaslug scaffold launcher) were elegant.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
5TEHgqR.jpg

SSgtC

Reaction score
View attachment 637893
Ok, the X-32 just looks happy to see me