Alaska Airlines 737-800 damage in Hard Landing

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Alaska Airlines 737-800 had to make hard landing at Santa Ana Airport during storm Hilary.

my question is this reparabel or scrap the plane ?

F4E6CbPWcAAgtoA

F4E6Ca0WYAA6fiK

F4E6CawXQAAGf1r

Other images show that the fuselage is bent as well, forward of the wing (wrinkles at the crown). If this is a mid- to high cycle jet, this is likely strike damage. They had to cut up an AirCal 732 near the runway here after a gear-up landing after a rejected go-around circa 1981.

Maybe at least put the cockpit in an airport for kids to amuse themselves with.

I wish my old playground had a plane cockpit for kids to play in.

Pilot that just don't want to miss their landing time to get their bonus. The craze to save a bucket of fuel continue... While responsibile pilots are finger pointed for a go around, or a 5min delay etc...
The worst thing for passenger safety came unexpectedly with the popularization of CAT III ILS...

Rejoice from the canliner industry.

Last edited:
While money rules over safety this will continue. "The owners insist on a record to go with the maiden voyage". Sound familar? "Change the aicraft but maintain the rating for previous versions of the airplane" is another ad infinitum..........

Pilot that just don't want to miss their landing time to get their bonus. The craze to save a bucket of fuel continue... While responsibile pilots are finger pointed for a go around, or a 5min delay etc...
The worst thing for passenger safety came unexpectedly with the popularization of CAT III ILS...

Rejoice from the canliner industry.
This was landing in high winds due to Hurricane Hillary (oh, how that name amuses me...). A sudden gust or drop in winds causing a high sink rate...

Meh, plane is insured.

He/she flared but balloon up due to wind gust and then just glided until the decreasing speed inevitably brought him back firmly. He/she should have initiated a go around.

While money rules over safety this will continue. "The owners insist on a record to go with the maiden voyage". Sound familar? "Change the aicraft but maintain the rating for previous versions of the airplane" is another ad infinitum..........
Profit motive evil. Aeroflot knew how to run things back in the good old days.

Poor choice of words on my part, profit is good because investment flows from it but, engineering things properly and minding safety are critical too.

Balance would perhaps have been a better word.

An overbearing desire to either meet five-year plans or satisfy shareholders' greed will both result in disaster. Financial gain, ideological brownie points - trying to achieve either by ignoring the laws of physics will cause hurt.