Aircraft of the motion picture "Stealth" (2005)

how did you find this movie ?

• very Good

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • not bad

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • the Popcorn was better

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • it's sucks

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • stop Torturing me !

Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters
I thought that Bill Sweetman's comments about the F/A-37 Talon design were interesting:

Bill Sweetman, a noted aerospace analyst and a Popular Science contributing editor, had mixed feelings about the “imaginative creations.” He says, “Black-project buffs will recognize the swing-wing aircraft as first cousin to Northrop Grumman’s top-secret Switchblade fighter. But don’t even think about going supersonic with those tiny engine inlets. They’ll be breathing nothing except turbulence and junk at any speed above Mach 1. Also, the sharp bulges will send a fat radar spike dead ahead, just where you don’t want it.”

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2005-07/science-stealth

Triton said:
I thought that Bill Sweetman's comments about the F/A-37 Talon design were interesting:

Bill Sweetman, a noted aerospace analyst and a Popular Science contributing editor, had mixed feelings about the “imaginative creations.” He says, “Black-project buffs will recognize the swing-wing aircraft as first cousin to Northrop Grumman’s top-secret Switchblade fighter. But don’t even think about going supersonic with those tiny engine inlets. They’ll be breathing nothing except turbulence and junk at any speed above Mach 1. Also, the sharp bulges will send a fat radar spike dead ahead, just where you don’t want it.”

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2005-07/science-stealth

I give kudos to the film makers. For all the things they did get wrong in the movie, they did get something right:
North Koreans do not like America.

And that was the only thing they got right.

The web site of the now defunct UK-based aviation and defense consulting firm, Avpro, mentioned that in addition to establishing an office in the United States it was doing production design for an undisclosed science fiction movie in Hollywood. Could EDI and the F/A-37 Talon have been designed by, or with the input, of Avpro?

Triton said:
The web site of the now defunct UK-based aviation and defense consulting firm, Avpro, mentioned that in addition to establishing an office in the United States it was doing production design for an undisclosed science fiction movie in Hollywood. Could EDI and the F/A-37 Talon have been designed by, or with the input, of Avpro?

http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/2005/Volume-28-Issue-9-September-2005-/High-Flying-FX.aspx

sferrin said:
Triton said:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4060.0/highlight,northrop.html

specifically:

http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/2005/Volume-28-Issue-9-September-2005-/High-Flying-FX.aspx

(Search is your friend. ;) )

Darn :mad: My face is red since I did use Search and didn't hit this topic. I wonder which motion picture Avpro served as production designers. Engineers from Northrop Grumman helped Digital Domain design the aircraft that were later refined by Production Designer Michael Riva to give them as Visual Effects Supervisor John Hynek puts it a "sexy Hollywood" look.

I'm not a fan of the F/A-37 for all of the reasons Bill Sweetman mentioned. It just ended up more "clunky" than sleek to me. Now the EDI, I think that looks kick ass. Give me a manned variant of it. :D

Michel Van said:
let face it:
the script of this Movie is pure Junk
and scriptwriter W. D. Richter has no sense of Geography :mad:

about the Plane
The F/A-37 Talon
VTOL and Mach 4 Hypersonic flight with combined Pulse Detonation/Scramjet engines.
Range: 4,000 Nomi (7,400 km)
stealth capability, along with switchblade wings,
dual cannons for close range attacks, and an internal rotary launcher.

as first picture of Talon pop up in Internet a lot of Aviation Fans thinks: this is s top secret US Jet :eek:

Desgin of Talon and other hardware is from German artist Oliver Scholl

he start as technical artis in German SF series Perry Rhodan in 1980s
then he made the move design for: Moon 44, Independence Day, Godzilla, The Time Machine, Stealth, Jumper...
http://www.oliverscholl.com/

I should chime in and indicate that W.D. Richter was also the guy behind the Buckaroo Banzai movie of the 1980s which starred a rocket powered pickup truck that could drive thru mountains - this is not that much more of a stretch.

so I had chance to talk with Oliver Scholl about "Stealth" here his account of Story:

the Producer of "Stealth" had hardware consultation by Grumman-Nortrop
from those infos, Scholl never saw anything of it ,
so he start to design the The F/A-37 "Talon" and UCAV "EDI", inspire from US aerospace journals
also a Submarine Aircraft carrier, wat was not use because of budget.

From F/A-37 was build a full scale mockup and Parts of UCAV "EDI" cockpit
but that was in Australia, so they packed the stuff up and send them to US
the producer had found a cheap alternative to Submarine Aircraft carrier: the US Navy Fleet Carrier USS Carl Vinson.
The F/A-37 "Talon" was move wrapped up on US Navy Base were the USS Carl Vinson was Dock and move in its Hangar

here thing get out of control, the Crew know there film-crew on Board,
but Wat is this about wrapped up Aircraft ?! is this a cover-story for Top secret US Navy Aircraft Test ?
after Carrier reach Atlantic the "Talon" was unwrapped and pulled on flight deck wat the crew saw this:

800px-ASW_Fake_FA37_1.jpg

Now the crew take picture and send them per E-mail all over the World...

...3 years later
Oliver Scholl notice that a internet Forum focus and discussed on his design for the Movie, it called "Secret Project Forum"...