Aircraft equipped with in-flight thrust reverser

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I am researching STOL aircraft equipped with thrust reversers, and I'm trying to remember which had such system installed. I know the F-15 S/MTD was supposed to use it, and i think there was at least one airliner that was certified to use them on approach. Can you think of any?

doesn't the Tornado use thrust reversers? not sure if in-flight though

Wow! i had never even heard of this. It looks like it's works like the one on the J37 Viggen, if i had to guess
1658459025909.png

and illustration from Aviation Week:
1658459694281.png

Last edited:
Apparently the DC-8 and C-5B also can deploy thrust reversers in flight

from Investigation of Wing Upper Surface Flow-Field Disturbance Due to NASA DC-8-72 In-flight Inboard Thrust-Reverser Deployment

"Thrust reversers are mechanical devices which primarily decelerate the aircraft during flight (DC-8-72 and C-5B are the only aircraft certified for in-flight thrust-reverser deployment) or augment their braking system after landing."

They're like the Viggen's and only for braking once it's on the ground.
I seem to remember various follow on fighter projects using RB 199 had in flight reversing but the nozzles were rotated through 90deg to exhaust out the sides when reversing. I assume mostly to avoid pitch attitude impact.

Depending on whether, based on pure functionality independent of engine layout, you're willing to include swiveling nozzles in the definition of thrust reversers, the Harrier qualifies as well.

Shocked :eek: by how many folks immediately think about pointy nosed aircraft. The C-17 can and does use in flight reversing for their combat descents. Just to give you an idea, I was conducting a test on a new radar altimeter transmitter which required us to fly down the runway centerline at ED in 5,000 foot increments up to 35,000 feet AGL. We were downwind, midfield at 35,000 AGL and Skipper asked if I'd ever seen a combat descent. The reversers, spoilers gear and flaps came out, turned 5 mile final on east lake shore at least 10,000 AGL, started the round out about 1,000-1,500 touched on the numbers and stopped in less than 3,000 ft. Pretty impressive to look up through the eyebrow windows to see the runway, straight ahead was all Rogers dry lakebed. Closest I'll ever come to a Shuttle descent.

I guess thrust can be generated from a propeller and there are quite a few of those that can reverse pitch (or Beta pitch) whilst in flight.

Last edited:
The Concorde used in-flight reverse thrust.

THRUST REVERSE

Engine thrust reverse is applied on around during the aircraft landing roll or in case of aborted take-off in order to assist the aircraft braking; it is also used in flight to ensure a sufficient aircraft descent rate during the subsonic deceleration phase. In the two cases, the buckets are positioned at 73 deg. thus blocking the free passage for the exhaust jet while enabling the obtention of a negative thrust (SEE FIGURE 13)

Shocked :eek: by how many folks immediately think about pointy nosed aircraft. The C-17 can and does use in flight reversing for their combat descents. Just to give you an idea, I was conducting a test on a new radar altimeter transmitter which required us to fly down the runway centerline at ED in 5,000 foot increments up to 35,000 feet AGL. We were downwind, midfield at 35,000 AGL and Skipper asked if I'd ever seen a combat descent. The reversers, spoilers gear and flaps came out, turned 5 mile final on east lake shore at least 10,000 AGL, started the round out about 1,000-1,500 touched on the numbers and stopped in less than 3,000 ft. Pretty impressive to look up through the eyebrow windows to see the runway, straight ahead was all Rogers dry lakebed. Closest I'll ever come to a Shuttle descent.
Video on War Zone

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41823/watch-this-c-17-engage-its-thrust-reverses-in-mid-air-to-make-an-extremely-rapid-descent

I guess thrust can be generated from a propeller and there are quite a few of those that can reverse pitch (or Beta pitch) whilst in flight.
Yes, some popular jump-planes (DHC-6 Twin Otter, Pilatus Porter, etc.) reverse thrust their Pratt & Whitney PT6A engines to descend faster than skydivers. Skydiver terminal velocity averages 120 mph. There is plenty of video of Porters passing tandems on the way down. Thrust reverse allows them to dive verticaly, but not exceed Vne.