• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

AIRBUS RACER / Clean Sky2 LifeRCraft Demonstrator

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
If I am under the impression I am in a unique position to provide an answer to a question I will gladly do so. Like anybody asking about content of xxxxx-Putnam, or Air Enthusiast, because I have the lot. For the answer to your question, I would enter something like 'EU Clean Sky 2 Airbus Racer financial report' into my search engine of choice and inspect the results. Which is what I would advise you to do, as it is more likely to provide you with an answer to your question than your complaining about perceived incivility.

Or, to be blunt - do your own chores.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
You already appear to have numbers on Racer cost - why bother me about them? A very cursory glance at my query results threw up a number 4 bn Euros for the entire Clean Sky 2 programme, which covers the Airbus Racer, the Leonardo Next Generation Civil Tiltrotor, ice protection as well as research into airliners with hybrid electric propulsion by ONERA, DLR and TU Delft. Racer appears to be stuffed with new materials/technology as is to be expected for a technology demonstrator. This obviously has a price tag, but multiple billions from a 4 billion aggregate programme - would you care to share the sources that support your multiple billion Racer cost?
Mine can be found here: https://www.cleansky.eu/clean-sky-2-budget

H_K

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Good interview with Tomasz Krysinski, head of R&D at Airbus. He talks about the Racer’s key advantages and design decisions - simple drivetrain, box wing, pusher props, and eco mode. First flight scheduled end of 2021:

Best parts are from ~13:00 to ~16:30.

At 190 knots we can stop one turbine and fly on only one turbine. It’s much more energy efficient to use one turbine at full power than two turbines at half power. At 190 knots, Racer uses 30% less fuel than a normal helicopter at 130 knots.

There’s another interview on the same website that talks about the X3 test program. The chief test pilot recalls that they hit 220 knots on only the 18th flight. He also talks about flying autonomously 1,300 miles from Texas to Washington DC during their US demo tour, stopping at small airports to refuel and zero maintenance issues... IMHO that’s a pretty impressive testament to the simplicity of the technology compared to the Bell & Sikorsky approaches to high speed.

EDIT: Also an in-depth article here that covers much of the same info:

Last edited:

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Unless Sikorsky can make the X-2 a viable civil rotorcraft, I think the X3 technology will do very well in the United States, especially with the oil and gas and emergency service segments.

TomS

Reaction score
K-RACER: An acronym for Kawasaki Researching Autonomic Compound to Exceed Rotorcraft.
Doesn't seems so.

Notice the straight shaft.

Shaft straight or not. I would think Airbus has patented this kind of compound helo configuration.

The general arrangement of top rotor and two props is hardly original to Airbus. See the Fairey Gyrodyne, for example.

VTOLicious

Reaction score
Indeed! ...However, I recall to have seen an Airbus patent somewhere. But I don't remember exactly the claims.

TomS

Reaction score
Indeed! ...However, I recall to have seen an Airbus patent somewhere. But I don't remember exactly the claims.

OH, I'm sure they have patented some specific implementation, and might well have made some overbroad claims. But prior art wins...

H_K

Reaction score
Here’s the first detailed view of the Racer that I’ve seen... from a CleanSky event.

It shows what looks like a SAR configuration, with an internal hoist that swings out. The cabin looks rather small for that mission, more like H135 size. Certainly smaller than H145 or H160. Maybe 6 pax or 4 VIPs?

So perhaps this will be a smaller/lighter helicopter than many were thinking.

Attachments

• 6A592A03-9A00-43A9-926D-09E814CA1DD9.jpeg
    6A592A03-9A00-43A9-926D-09E814CA1DD9.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 55

VTOLicious

Reaction score
Here’s the first detailed view of the Racer that I’ve seen... from a CleanSky event.

It shows what looks like a SAR configuration, with an internal hoist that swings out. The cabin looks rather small for that mission, more like H135 size. Certainly smaller than H145 or H160. Maybe 6 pax or 4 VIPs?

You are right, the cabin looks rather small... Here is another Airbus slide, hinting EMS/SAR as one of the primary missions.

Attachments

• 20181010_Highlighting_equipment_on_Racer.jpg
    20181010_Highlighting_equipment_on_Racer.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Airbus Racer infographic (1).jpeg
    Airbus Racer infographic (1).jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

yasotay

Reaction score

You are right, the cabin looks rather small... Here is another Airbus slide, hinting EMS/SAR as one of the primary missions.
Perhaps they are going to try a medical rotorcraft first to test the market interest before going to larger aircraft. There is also the chance that the picture was of an earlier configuration that was explored (not wanting to show off certain aspects of the current air vehicle), but not considered for development.
Also thank you H_K for the link to Clean Sky.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I think you are looking too much in it. There is no more mystery than an architect building you a 90% scaled house of what was offered to save on material and manpower cost.

There is also the draw on the power available from the twin pusher rotor. Think that torque systems can eat away 10 to 15 % of engine available. Here you have twice the power requested in a cumbersome angled arrangement. Add also the extra drag of the wing sets (penalizing both on downwash, drag as weight induced drag) and you have a tiny platform left to find a function.

H_K

Reaction score
@TomcatViP I don’t understand what you’re saying, from a physics perspective.

1) Why would this require twice the torque? (Torque is a function of main rotor power, not the # of anti torque devices)
2) Doesn’t a wing also create lift, which more than offsets drag (by definition)?

I see this rather the opposite... this looks like a very aerodynamically efficient arrangement, offering improved lift/drag both at normal cruise speeds and fast cruise speeds that normal helicopters can’t achieve. The only question is the extra installed weight - specifically how much of the performance and efficiency gains are cancelled out by the weight increase.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
My dear @H_K, lift offset weight. Power, drag.
I would invite you to re-read your high-school point mechanics cursus. Everything is there to grab the concepts more than intuitively.

I would agree however that "twice" sounds erroneous. My intended meaning was more double, two time etc...and was not quantitative.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Expect some delays:
Airbus Helicopters is pushing off the first flight of its compound Racer—which stands for rapid and cost-efficient rotorcraft—to 2022. A company spokesman said the delay was the result of “the slowdown of several production lines caused by the pandemic.”

When initially announced in 2017, Airbus said Racer would begin flights in 2020.