Airbus Helicopters H160 (formerly X4)

Source:

Artist's impression of Eurocopter X4 provided by Eurocopter published in Safran newsletter.

Source:

I am wondering laughingly if the original artists impression of what X4 be , may end up as X9 (replacement for H145) discussed on here

Going back to the lost Japanese Ground Self Defense Force UH-X competition, am sure a H160M would look great in their camouflage however speaking to one of my contacts at ILa Berlin 2018, he said the Airbus proposal to JGSDF was actually mystery designated X8....

cheers

opps nearly forgot there have been recent delivery of ACH160 corporate to the North American marketplace, believe one was seen over NYC same as the one I saw back in Feb at Heli Expo 2024 in Anaheim so here are my photos

1720025746351.png

1720025777732.png

and my pics of it departing

1720025811579.png

1720025838010.png

1720025868674.png

and then Canada recives its first ACH160

cheers

Some more pics on Airbus website:

resize

resize

The pods and shape affixed to the landing gear are aero shapes added to the civilian H160 prototype for aerodynamic test and validation purpose.

Given that the design was already compromised in its efficiency by the design aspects (one major parameter was that it had to look good to buyer, I fear that the extra drag and inherent mass from the militarization process could leave its engines out of breath quickly...

Last edited:
Well they could do what the 160th SOAR (the ultimate developers of rotorcraft parasite drag) did. Shoe horn bigger engines into the engine bay and push the main module to its never exceed limit.

A 20mm canon with a rocket pod... Just like in the Gazelle... And the Alouette... The pilot will surely apreciate also the availability of the not so-sure 7.62 with the utmost feeling of marchinng toward ennemy lines with brave allure like the WWI dismounted cavalry.

Does he have to bring his own saber?
I'll bet you a bottle of your choice that every French helo pilot owns a saber and has figured out a place to carry it in the aircraft.

I was hoping that the helo would go under the bridges/signage... See how low you can get before leaving some aluminum behind on the track...

And that nose... What the heck are that extra useless 2m of designer wet dream?
Electronics, weather radar, the usual stuff found in the schnoz of a Dauphin.

Aren't those screw and washers surfacing (and exposed) from the fenestron hub cache scary enough for someone to do something soon enough?!

A close-up of one the picture above:
View attachment 674224
Depends on whether that is a rotating or fixed panel. Plus, I'm willing to bet that those are captive fasteners.

One presumes that they were channeling a certain Scottish engineer from classic Sci-Fi there....
Or their neighboring NASCAR race mechanics...

@Scott Kenny : since you like to bet, those washer and oversized screw are the sign of a defective part that was forced fit into place (see also the bulging around the mouthing holes). Those fasteners are certainly not the original ones. That was the object of my comment. You could have searched pictures of the H160 today and see how the design of this part has been altered.

I guess I somewhat won the bet? :rolleyes: