Airbus futuristic studies (NACRE, E2, A30X...)

Thanks Triton for posting those pictures showing the Airbus Concept Plane. :)
I planned to look for them on the web, since I had seen some of them in an expensive economics magazine at my local train station a few days ago.

Airbus unveils a 2050 vision for 'Smarter Skies'

http://youtu.be/nI-44mwwCOY

Source:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircraft-pictures/2012/09/mother-airbus-and-her-planelet.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed
http://www.noticias-aero.info/

Attachments

• mother and chicks.jpg
    mother and chicks.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Airbus_Smarter_Skies_Concepts_Image_FINAL.jpg
    Airbus_Smarter_Skies_Concepts_Image_FINAL.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 4._Low_emission_ground_operations.jpg
    4._Low_emission_ground_operations.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 3._Low-noise__free-glide_approaches_and_landings.jpg
    3._Low-noise__free-glide_approaches_and_landings.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 1c._Aircraft_take-off_in_continuous_eco-climb.jpg
    1c._Aircraft_take-off_in_continuous_eco-climb.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 118
  • 1b._Aircraft_take-off_in_continuous_eco-climb.jpg
    1b._Aircraft_take-off_in_continuous_eco-climb.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 1a._Aircraft_take-off_in_continuous_eco-climb.jpg
    1a._Aircraft_take-off_in_continuous_eco-climb.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 142
Source:
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ain-air-transport-perspective/2012-06-11/airbus-says-neo-choice-opens-new-rd-avenues

Attachments

• airbus_2010_06_14_a30x_image_resized.jpg
    airbus_2010_06_14_a30x_image_resized.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 130
Am I right, that this launch trolley is meant to reduce fule burn on take-off and so decrease
aircraft weight ? Is its propulsion mentioned ?

Wait...a big 'trolly' and ground bound set of wheels that the plane lands on and takes off from?

Wasn't that part of a Thunderbirds episode? ???

If I understood the slides correctly, it takes off using hmm "horizontal wheeled launch pad" which is powered with something other than gas or oil. Lands like shuttle (with engines turned off) using landing gears.
Perhaps that launchpad could be powered with electric engine.

I wasn't trying to be cynical, I think it's great that at least someone is trying to reduce the pollution. Read an article that aircrafts and helicopters are using 9% of the world's annual oil production. And this launchpad thing reminds me a little of the Me 163 take off method.
I wouldn't mind seeing some pure electric bird. What happened to electric Cessna?

Bigvlada my sincere appologies, I wasn't accusing you of being cynical at all. I was just making a statement (to be honest i was talking to myself online... which is a new and worrying phenomenon)

More online talking to myself follows....Truthfully the driver for making these type of things happen will be increasing fuel costs, all the cheap oil (easy to get out of the ground) has been burnt.

At the risk of being an eco-mentalist the Airbus spokesman in the video I posted talked about halving their emissions, VERY COMMENDABLE.... BUT if you double the sales of your aircraft whilst halving their emissions, then your just standing still... and maybe thats not going to be enough, sorry kids! :-\

I'm not saying airbus will double their sales (I just chose that example for easy maths) but clearly airbus feel there is lots of growth left for aviation, see link in reply 11 of this discussion http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8856.msg159647.html#msg159647

Catalytic said:
the Airbus spokesman in the video I posted talked about halving their emissions, VERY COMMENDABLE.... BUT if you double the sales of your aircraft whilst halving their emissions, then your just standing still...

On further inspection I was wrong, Airbus have set themselves an even more challenging target of reducing their aircrafts emissions by 75%, so even if they double the sales of these aircraft they have still halved the emissions of the global fleet.
http://www.airbus.com/company/environment/

more good stuff in here (for what it's worth my take is, a wide range of approaches is required, however.... it's algae derived bio fuels or bust and I guess that is what is being represented by the hexagonal cells in the water surrounding the airport of the future)
ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/technology-platforms/docs/acare-background-2010_en.pdf

"Towards 2050 - New Challenges
Since 2000, society’s perception of Air Transport has changed following the dramatic events of 11th September 2001, growing environmental awareness, the rise of oil prices in 2008, and the recent financial crisis. In the future, aviation is likely to face even more radical challenges - with some arising from its own success. Aviation is directly impacted by energy trends. As with other sectors, aviation is dependent on, and will have to deal with, energy availability in the coming decades. The oil price peak of 2008 is not an isolated event. Increasing and volatile oil prices will shape the economy of the future and exert tremendous pressures on the industry, which will challenge existing airline business models.

1.1. SOCIETY IN 2030+
Energy supply and production: the costs for energy will surely increase with the price of resources and emissions charges. This shift in relative prices will probably be one of the main design drivers for future transport vehicles.

Technological breakthroughs: last year's high oil price is not an anomaly. Together with emissions charges, this will trigger tremendous research and development efforts in the field of alternative forms of energy and vehicle technologies. The most important changes will probably not be seen in aviation, but in the automotive sector (e.g., large-scale shift to electrical energy), which would nevertheless have large repercussions for the aviation industry (e.g. through energy/oil supply).

Energy:According to various forecasts the average estimate of the production peak for crude oil will occur around 2030 :-\ and the cost of oil will continue to increase. Increases in fossil fuel prices could further stimulate research into renewable energy technologies and enable the wider spread of alternative fuels. Whether or not renewable energy sources will be available by 2030 is, at this stage, difficult to predict. “Drop-in” fuels (made from coal, coal tar, or biomass) that have similar technical characteristics to current aviation fuels (ignition, energy density, freeze point) are easier to adopt as these would not necessitate the whole re-engineering of current aircraft. Alternative fuels (liquid hydrogen, liquid methane, nuclear power, etc.) would call for “revolutionary” aircraft power systems Dependency on fuel availability will continue to be a risk for air transport, especially if energy sources are held in a few hands.

3.4.1. TECHNOLOGY IS KEY
For aircraft and engines, ongoing year-on-year improvements result from the progressive introduction of technologies such as lighter materials and structures, improvements in turbomachinery and replacement of hydraulics with electrical systems. More radical technologies such as open-rotor engines might be ready for deployment around 2020.

A 1% structural weight saving, can lead to approximately 0.5% to 1.5% benefit in fuel consumption. The exact benefit depends on many factors, particularly configuration and range (with more benefit being available for medium-range aircraft than long-range), and on whether the whole aircraft design can be re-optimised following the weight change. Airframe aerodynamic improvements such as natural or hybrid laminar flow control, advanced riblets, low-drag technology and innovative aircraft configurations are together predicted to offer a fuel burn reduction of around 10%. As an example of comparing the assumptions with products currently being designed, the longrange A350XWB, which will enter into service in 2013, is forecast to burn around 30% less fuel than existing aircraft (1980s /1990s technology) on a 4000 nm sector mission.
Technology development is expected to continue post-2020, driven essentially by competition. Fuel prices and carbon prices further drive technology implementation.

After 2020 we also anticipate that development work will progress on the next generation of radically new technologies, potentially including such items as blended-wing-body aircraft configurations. We note that, despite the more speculative nature of these assumptions, strong economic and environmental drivers will continue to provide incentives for radical new developments. Such technologies may offer an additional 20% fuel-efficiency and if they can be fully developed by around 2030, we anticipate that they could largely be deployed into the active fleet by 2050. Such considerations underpin the need for urgent and significant activity on R&D to develop the much needed solutions to reduce emissions and the associated impacts as early as possible.
3.4.3. SUSTAINABLE FUELSRenewable fuels could present complementary solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions further. These may answer key concerns raised by the use of fossil resources. For safety and reliability reasons aviation fuel has to match very stringent specifications including energy density, thermal stability and freezing point. It must also be compatible with the materials used in the aircraft and engine fuel systems. In order to ensure that an overall benefit is sustainable, the net contribution to reducing carbon must be assessed over the whole fuel lifecycle. Broader environmental and social concerns over land use will also determine the viability of particular fuel sources. Engines and fuel systems are already cleared to use a “synthetic” kerosene blend partially derived from coal rather than oil through the Fischer Tropsch process. In 2009, fuel from coal to liquid (CTL), gas (GTL) or biomass (BTL) generically referred to as XTL was approved for use in civil applications with up to 50% blend with conventional jet fuel. There is also potential to create synthetic kerosene from other feedstocks including biomass. Although not yet industrially developed, it is the most promising alternative to kerosene, as it will benefit from the experience gained on the coal-to-liquid process above. Concerns over the availability of biomass and its transport would need to be addressed. Efficiency over the complete fuel cycle and related technical and environmental issues will need to be resolved before commercial scale application in aircraft fleets. The aviation sector will continue to explore all potential options for renewable fuels and invest in new developments in this area working with fuel companies, research laboratories, aircraft manufacturers and authorities as necessary. Lower carbon fuels produced from sustainable, second- and third-generation feedstocks such as jatropha, algae, biomass or hydrocarbon-containing waste could make a significant contribution to reducing CO2 emissions from aviation. For a candidate fuel to represent a viable alternative to kerosene:
  • It must be technically suitable for use in existing aircraft, engines and fuel systems, meeting or exceeding current fuel specifications.
  • It must be derived from environmentally sustainable sources without adversely impacting food-production, land-use or water-scarcity, and must show a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions over its lifecycle, relative to kerosene.
  • Production must be industrially scaleable and economically feasible.
In order to have any significant impact by 2050, sustainable fuels will need to be compatible with existing engine, airframe and fuel supply systems and infrastructure. Beyond this timescale hydrogen or other alternatives may offer potential.

Some of the ideas are great, such as the descent and the flight planning, which each aircraft should do autonomic.
But the idea of the take-off isn't that great. The huge amount of weight added by the skid requires a lot of extra spilled energy which is hard to get back after the aircraft is flung off. And absorbing landing energy would make the aircraft extremely hard to land and make them uncomfortable.

I guess the sled idea could be an idea, if you give it three Teflon filled gaps, with a Teflon sled, make of titanium, which is made extremly light but strong. (just like an airplane:p) You could propel them by electromagnetics (waste of coper) and then send it back by a big spring at the end of the runway, which will send it back due its low drag and the excess energy. The wheels (main landing gear) could be connected by the sled by using an electromagnet at the bottom. And with a fast elevator + trim the aircraft could rotate itself.

I guess with slow landingspeeds, created by the low weight carbonstructures and the lowdrag wing (see f-16xl nasa project), the least energy would be lost.

And to make the airport energy friendly, waterpower would be usefull if you would build it in a sea or in a huge river (london city). This could be done by huge turbines. This is one of the most efficient ways of electricity production.

I'm wondering, what do you guess think?

http://www.airbus.com/innovation/future-by-airbus/smarter-skies/

Aft view of Airbus Concept Plane.

Source:
http://article.wn.com/view/2012/07/09/Stargazing_plane_vista_by_2050_according_to_new_concept_draw/

Attachments

• AftConcept.jpg
    AftConcept.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 548
When I thought about it some more, why not use the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System for the take off? Purely electric powered. It had to be more durable than aircraft carrier version due to the more frequent use.
Are there any limits to the aircraft size or weight for this system?

"EADS unveils its vision for the future of aviation"
By James Holloway
June 19, 2013

Source:
http://www.gizmag.com/eads-concepts-paris/27979/

EADS has once again taken to the Paris Air Show to present a vision of commercial aviation in 2050. Developed in partnership with Rolls-Royce to increase the efficiency of future airliners, its E-Thrust concept is a hybrid electric propulsion system that EADS says could cut fuel consumption, emissions and noise. EADS and Airbus have baked the E-Thrust into an aircraft design, which EADS calls the eConcept.

Described as an intermediate step on the road to all-electric aircraft, the E-Thrust is a "Distributed Propulsion" system comprised of numerous electric fans arranged in clusters along the length of each wing. However, the battery (referred to as a storage system, but we'll call it a battery for convenience) powering the fans is charged by an onboard "advanced gas power unit," which is why EADS is calling this a hybrid system.

Applied to the eConcept, though the best number of fans is still to be worked out, Airbus is confident that a single larger gas power plant is better than several smaller ones. This would allow a unified exhaust duct and particulate filter, and would apparently reduce noise overall.

One advantage of the E-Thrust system is that the additional power required for take-off can be met by charging the batteries on the ground (and theoretically from a clean, renewable source). The gas power plant only need serve when the eConcept is in the air, allowing this component to be downsized.

When cruising, the gas power plant powers the fans direct, though the battery is also recharged to power an emergency landing should the gas system fail. In descent, the fans and gas power plant are shut down, the eConcept effectively becoming a glider. However, as the fans start to turn of their own accord, electrical power could conceivably be generated, topping up the battery if required. Though the gas system is restarted for landing, this is solely as a backup to power the fans should something go wrong with the battery.

It's claimed that a Distributed Propulsion system allows an increase in bypass ratio, which, in a turbofan engine, is the ratio of air mass drawn through the fan but which bypasses the combustion chamber to the mass of air which passes through it. Whereas a 12:1 ratio is achievable today, EADS claims that ratios of 20:1 or better are possible with this system, allowing reductions in fuel consumption. However, EADS calls this an "effective bypass ratio" because, unlike in a turbofan engine, the airstreams flowing into the fans and into the combustion chamber are completely separate.

EADS also argues that this distributed approach affords much more leeway in airframe design. Forms which reduce weight and drag, decrease the size of the vertical tail plane and improve weight distribution should be possible, it says.

To make the E-Thrust system viable, superconducting technology would be required to reduce the size of the electrical components, combined with next-generation electrical storage technology (EADS has its eye on Lithium-air batteries) capable of energy densities over 1,000 Wh/kg.

E-Thrust falls under EADS' Distributed Electrical Aerospace Propulsion (DEAP) project, which seeks to meet the targets set out in the European Commission's report Flightpath 2050 – Europe's Vision for Aviation. Specifically, the report calls for a 75 percent reduction in C02 emissions, 90 percent reductions in NOx emissions, and 65 percent reduction in noise levels by 2050, compared to the year 200.

Though tempting to dismiss this as purely speculative, EADS could have presented an all-out electric airliner covered head to toe in solar panels (In fact, EADS did present an all-electric concept called the VoltAir at Paris in 2011). That it's put forward what amounts to a stop-gap system in itself lends credence to the proposal. People appear to be thinking very seriously about the evolution of commercial flight.

Photos of Airbus eConcept concept with Rolls-Royce E-Thrust electric fan engines unveiled at Paris Air Show 2013

Attachments

• eads-e-thrust-10.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-10.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 78
  • eads-e-thrust-9.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-9.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 112
  • eads-e-thrust-7.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 112
  • eads-e-thrust-6.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-6.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 115
  • eads-e-thrust.jpg
    eads-e-thrust.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 358
  • eads-e-thrust-4.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 344
  • eads-e-thrust-2.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 355
  • eads-e-thrust-1.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 355
EADS also used the Paris Air Show to show off its Tropospheric Airship concept, envisaged as an observation aircraft for polar regions.

Attachments

• eads-e-thrust-14.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-14.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 100
  • eads-e-thrust-15.jpg
    eads-e-thrust-15.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 95
Source:
http://blog.cafefoundation.org/

Another EADS IW has been working with Rolls-Royce in the DEAP (Distributed Electrical Aerospace Propulsion) project, funded by the UK Technology Strategy Board. This project developed the architecture of a distributed propulsion system meant to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions and noise. The architecture uses six power turbochargers connected in three clusters within a common intake conduit installed on the upper wing. A gas generator produces electric energy both for the motors and the reloading of the energy storage system.

“The idea of distributed propulsion offers the opportunity to better optimize individual components such as the gas generator, which produces only electrical energy, and turbochargers power, which deliver thrust. This architecture optimizes the overall integration of the propulsion system,” said Sebastien Remy, head of EADS Innovation Works, who hopes the, “Optimized integration of such a concept will reduce the total weight and drag of the aircraft.”

E-Thrust conceptual view. E-Thrust is an electrical distributed propulsion system concept for lower fuel consumption, fewer emissions and less noise. Illustration courtesy EADS

E-Thrust would have a sophisticated superconducting power system at its core; a single large advanced gas turbine engine acting as a generator feeding a “next generation energy storage system” and six electrically-powered fans producing thrust. Flight profile management would use full thrust from the distributed electric fans for takeoff, draining the batteries somewhat even with the gas turbine recharging them. At cruise, batteries would accumulate energy and during descent/glides drain slightly. They would be recharged slowly during the descent/windmilling phase, with the airplane landing with fully energized batteries ready for the next flight.

The gas turbine consists of a “wake re-energizing fan,” with “structural stator vanes passing electrical current and cryogenic fluid coolant,” making it a “hub-mounted, totally superconducting electrical machine.”

Big or small, these EADS projects show an enthusiastic embrace of new technology, unfettered by conventional thought or constraints. Such innovations will certainly help achieve the goals of the Flightpath 2050 Initiative. Besides, your editor would love to train in an E-FAN as soon as possible.

http://youtu.be/GlqX4m0R6E8

Attachments

• EADS-E-Thrust-eConcept-view-G1-20130607_lo.jpg
    EADS-E-Thrust-eConcept-view-G1-20130607_lo.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 67
Triton said:

To make the E-Thrust system viable, superconducting technology would be required to reduce the size of the electrical components, combined with next-generation electrical storage technology (EADS has its eye on Lithium-air batteries) capable of energy densities over 1,000 Wh/kg.

E-Thrust falls under EADS' Distributed Electrical Aerospace Propulsion (DEAP) project, which seeks to meet the targets set out in the European Commission's report Flightpath 2050 – Europe's Vision for Aviation. Specifically, the report calls for a 75 percent reduction in C02 emissions, 90 percent reductions in NOx emissions, and 65 percent reduction in noise levels by 2050, compared to the year 200.

Beautiful... obviously the superconducting technology requirement places this as a flight of fancy for the forseeable future :(

the unspoken aspect of "a 75 percent reduction in C02 emissions" is an enormous reduction in IR signature but I'm sure this hasn't gone unnoticed in the military.

Link to Airbus brochures for E-Thrust and other electric-powered concepts:
http://www.eads.com/eads/int/en/news/mediapackage.953ada3e-546f-49e8-a57f-ce931d8ce5f5.-Paris+Air+Show+2013+-+CTO+Innovation.html

"eConcept - EADS's Hybrid-Electric Airliner"
Posted by Graham Warwick 3:43 PM on Jun 24, 2013

Source:
http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:7a78f54e-b3dd-4fa6-ae6e-dff2ffd7bdbb&plckPostId=Blog%3A7a78f54e-b3dd-4fa6-ae6e-dff2ffd7bdbbPost%3Aec33bef8-5e12-43e8-8ea0-518eebfe0eb3

Anxious to assure us it is not entirely anchored in the now by Airbus, EADS at Paris unveiled a distributed hybrid-electric propulsion concept it is working on with engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce. The idea is similar to the turboelectric distributed propulsion (TeDP) work under way at NASA. EADS Innovation Works has incorporated the initial E-Thrust distributed propulsion configuration into its eConcept vision for a 2050-timeframe airliner.

The EADS IW concept uses a single large turbine engine to generate electricity to power six ducted fans that provide thrust. This allows propulsive and thermal efficiency to be optimized separately. The turbine engine can be optimized for thermal efficiency (turning fuel into shaft power) while the ducted fans increase effective bypass ratio and therefore propulsion efficient (turning shaft power into thrust).

The single turbine engine is embedded in the tail so that it ingests the fuselage boundary layer and re-energizes the wake to reduce drag. It has a long exhaust duct to minimize noise and allow for particle filtration. The electric fans have a combined bypass ratio exceeding 20:1 (more than twice today’s engines) and are integrated into the wing to reduce drag and noise.

As with NASA’s TeDP, superconductivity is key to the concept. The turbine engine drives a hub-mounted superconducting motor. Power is extracted, and cryogenic coolant is circulated through the motor, via structural stator vanes behind the fan that recover thrust from the swirling air.

EADS’s concept includes advanced lithium-air batteries for energy storage. For take-off and climb, the turbine and batteries power the ducted fans. In the cruise, the turbine powers the fans and recharges the batteries. During the gliding descent, the windmilling fans generate regenerative power to top up the batteries. On landing, the turbine powers the fans. At all times, the batteries have sufficient energy to power the aircraft if the turbine fails.

EADS IW, with Rolls-Royce and Cranfield University, is working on the Distributed Electrical Aerospace Propulsion (DEAP) project funded by the UK Technology Strategy Board. Rolls and EADS IW also are working with Magnifye and Cambridge University on a programmable alternating-current superconducting machine – described as a powerful, lighter and lower-loss design incorporating high-temperature superconducting coils embedded in a lightweight epoxy structure.

Attachments

• EADS eConcept-1.jpg
    EADS eConcept-1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,098
  • EADS eConcept.jpg
    EADS eConcept.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,069
Published on Jun 24, 2013

EADS Innovation Works video animation of its concept for an un manned airship to provide pesistent surevillance of the Arctic. The airship is a catamaran, with rigid hulls using helium to provide buoyancy and joined by wings to provide aerodynamic lift. Bouyancy is controlled passively the retracting sections of the lower hull to vary the helium volume. The 90m-long airship would fly for 40 days at 23,000ft, loitering at 60km/h but with a dash speed of 150km/h.

http://youtu.be/GLsiaIwmWOA

Mat Parry said:
Not quite engines turned off, but engines on idle

Easy to be cynical about this but barring some kind of step change propulsion miracle, at least they seem to be trying

This looks like wishful thinking fantasy. Even the Airbus executive looks like a snake oil salesman on the video to me. This is ridiculous. I like how the video features a few windmills powering the Airport of the future. Good idea for the airport, but good luck building a full size heavy airliner that will function so efficiently. Also, Did I just watch that airliner take off straight up like an F-15? Is that going to be comfortable for the passengers? Is that even possible on an Eco-airliner like that? This is enviro-propaganda.

Mmmm, as I said easy to be cynical! ;)

The airbus executive (that you don't like the look of) isn't actually selling anything. They are trying to foster innovative thinking. As for enviro-propaganda, no comment.... However if Airbus succeeded in cutting emissions by 75%, the commensurate fuel economy of the aircraft would be attractive for buyers irrespective of the motivation driving the technology. Increased fuel economy is the only direction airliners are heading, forget the Concord stunt.

Mat Parry said:
Triton said:

Beautiful... obviously the superconducting technology requirement places this as a flight of fancy for the forseeable future :(

the unspoken aspect of "a 75 percent reduction in C02 emissions" is an enormous reduction in IR signature but I'm sure this hasn't gone unnoticed in the military.

Don't forget the NASA N+3 study group that did a superconducting distributed propulsion system design went back to look at a N+2 class non-superconducting version and found a closing design. So a non-superconducting version of this e-concept is possible.

Artist's impression of Airbus Concept Plane.

Source:
http://turism.bzi.ro/airbus-prezinta-o-noua-aeronava-concept-video-7927#

Attachments

• Airbus_Concept_Plane.jpg
    Airbus_Concept_Plane.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 171
Jemiba said:
Airbus seems busier, than its competitors to produce "dreams of the future". ;)

And Boeing made a recent very conservative decision to make only minor changes to its 777 rather than start a whole new long-range widebody twin-jet using the technology developed for the 787.

blackstar said:
And Boeing made a recent very conservative decision to make only minor changes to its 777 rather than start a whole new long-range widebody twin-jet using the technology developed for the 787.

I just tried to emphasise the word "dream". To my opinion, Airbus will work with just minor upgrades to its
basic types for many years to come, too. ;)

Jemiba said:
blackstar said:

I just tried to emphasise the word "dream". To my opinion, Airbus will work with just minor upgrades to its
basic types for many years to come, too. ;)

Agreed. But right now Airbus seems to be producing a lot of concept art and Boeing is not. Maybe that means something, or maybe not.

With the 777X (read the article in the current Aviation Week), Boeing thinks it will get a significant improvement in fuel efficiency. But if they had applied the 787 composite structure work to a new wide-body twin-jet, they would achieve even greater efficiency. So they must have a reason that they did not do that. My guess is that they are still reeling from the 787 costs and are not ready to take another big gamble. One gamble every 15 years maybe...

conc2_3397074b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11782446/Concorde-Mark-2-Airbus-files-plans-for-new-supersonic-jet.html​

5 500 km/h with the front of an Airbus A 330 :eek: Well, skeptical i am...

http://bgr.com/2015/08/04/airbus-supersonic-jet-concorde/

Hi,

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4614-2435-2_1

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 316
Blended wing bodies keep returning - neither Boeing nor Airbus seem to rule them out, and I suppose the emergency exit and "few windows" issues could be solved through work. Too bad the USAF missed the opportunity to define the next dominant design with its tanker replacement program. They were the ones who did pick the currently dominant design with the KC-135 (Boeing 707).

Airbus E2 concept study (1994) from AWST archives

Attachments

• Airbus E2 19940425141.jpg
    Airbus E2 19940425141.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 167
  • AWST 2001043051 Airbus E2 study.jpg
    AWST 2001043051 Airbus E2 study.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 156
During the last 10 years, EADS Airbus’ predecessors Snecma and Onera, jointly explored SST concepts and powerplants
such as a variable-cycle turbofan, dubbed Mid-Tandem Fan. The concept currently envisioned by French engineers is a 250-
seat aircraft that would cruise at Mach 2 and have a 6,000-naut.-mi. range.

Attachments

• Supersonique.jpg
    Supersonique.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom