Airbus A400M - Atlas C1

yasotay said:
I think that the Japanese or Brasilian aircraft have better chance than A400. I mean, really who in USAF Inc., wants turbo-prop time? You can't get a good paying job with all your hours in turbo-prop. Why do you think C-17, KC-10 and K/R/C-135 are so popular with pilots. Thats where the money is.

Retirees who become commercial airline pilots?

DonaldM said:
yasotay said:
I think that the Japanese or Brasilian aircraft have better chance than A400. I mean, really who in USAF Inc., wants turbo-prop time? You can't get a good paying job with all your hours in turbo-prop. Why do you think C-17, KC-10 and K/R/C-135 are so popular with pilots. Thats where the money is.

They aren't waiting for retirement...

yasotay said:
DonaldM said:
yasotay said:

They aren't waiting for retirement...

The solution would be for Lockheed Georgia to bring out an ATR clone with Hercules technology (Or even the real thing as license built version). :D Fuel prices and all...

Sometimes real fun to read statements like "... Airbus Military has already achieved sales for 174 aircraft".
Wow, what a success ! Of course no attempt to muddy those waters by mentioning, that original numbers
were somewhat higher, and that only few people would dare to bet, that not even this number may be reduced
over the next years ... ::)

Yasotay, you have me at a disadvantage. I have no knowledge of how the United States Air Force determines pay rates for its pilots or makes promotion decisions. Are you saying that turboprop pilots are paid less and have less opportunity for promotion?

I think the problem is there aren't many positions available for 4-engine turboprop pilots...

I imagine Airbus regrets that Lockheed-Georgia was kicked out of the Future International Military-Civil Airlifter (FIMA) consortium in 1989 for pursuing an updated C-130 Hercules.

I wonder if the A400M would be better positioned if the alliance still existed with Northrop Grumman?

DonaldM said:
Yasotay, you have me at a disadvantage. I have no knowledge of how the United States Air Force determines pay rates for its pilots or makes promotion decisions. Are you saying that turboprop pilots are paid less and have less opportunity for promotion?

No the pay is the same in the USAF. The civil airline industry pays 4 engine turbine qualified pilots far better than turbo-prop qualified pilots, and as Hobbes mentioned there is not a huge market for civil four engine turbo-prop. So getting qualified in C-17 gets you hired with delta. Getting qualified in C-130 get you hired by rubber-dog-poop air.

I could be wrong about this as it has been a while since I really talked with anyone who has been in this circumstance, but I suspect if you look at what a turbo-prop commuter pilot gets paid versus a heavy turbine pilot gets paid there is probably a pretty big difference.

Thanks for your response, yasotay. I believe that my original question was misunderstood which led me to believe that the USAF pays jet and propeller pilots differently. Sorry for the confusion.

Source:

Attachments

• gri1.jpg
    gri1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 530
  • gri2.jpg
    gri2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 501
  • gri3.jpg
    gri3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 487
  • gri4.jpg
    gri4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 98
  • gri5.jpg
    gri5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 85
  • gri6.jpg
    gri6.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 89
This formation flight was a good public relations idea, I think ! When it was made, those
five aircraft still were the whole "production run".
Nevertheless, the article in the latest AirInternational about the C-17 was a good reminder,
that in comparison problems with the A400M weren't (or aren't) that bad. ::)

Triton said:
I understand that China has expressed interest in the A400M, perhaps it could be manufactured at the Airbus factory at Taijin?

They only want to buy one. ;)

Model of Airbus A400M in hypothetical United States Air Force markings.

Source:
http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2013/09/six-planes-industry-wants-dod-and-other-militaries-to-buy/

Attachments

• A400M1-850x303.jpg
    A400M1-850x303.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 419
I'm thinking about moving it to the "Theoretical and Speculatice Projects" section.
Was it already posted in What-If modellers board ? ;)

Jemiba said:
I'm thinking about moving it to the "Theoretical and Speculatice Projects" section.
Was it already posted in What-If modellers board ? ;)

To the best my recollection this topic was created before the "Theoretical and Speculative Projects" board was created.

Anybody else notice that, unlike other nations' airframes delivered so far, the UK's have at least an RF self-defence system already installed? Also, quite an incredible number of chaff/flare dispensers - I count six pairs on the side visible in the second image below!

Airbus chief executive Tom Enders has promised “management and organisational consequences” as a result of the production and delivery problems that are affecting the company’s A400M tactical transport programme.

“We have problems – I admit that,” Enders said while addressing an Airbus Group reception in London on 27 January. “We have additional delays and I very much regret that we are unable to meet the commitments made to our customers several years ago.

"Airbus sees possible future sales of 'hundreds' of 400M in U.S."
Sept 11, 2014

Source:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/11/us-aero-summit-airbus-a400m-idUSKBN0H628S20140911

(Reuters) - Europe's Airbus (AIR.PA) said on Thursday that it sees the possibility of selling hundreds of its A400M military transport plane to the U.S. military in the medium to long term.

Barry Eccleston, president of Airbus Americas Inc, told the Reuters Aerospace and Defense Summit that the company was focused on securing additional orders for the UH-72 helicopter that it builds in Mississippi in the short term, but its "next big project" would be focused on marketing the A400M.

"There's this incredible airplane that can do just about everything," Eccleston said, noting that Airbus saw possible sales of the A400M to the U.S. Air Force and other military services to replace older C-130 transport planes built by Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N) and C-17s built by Boeing Co (BA.N).

He said Airbus would launch a major marketing drive for the A400M in the United States after the airplane was introduced in France, Britain, Turkey and Germany.

"We want to let our customers show what the airplane can do," Eccleston told the summit held at the Reuters office in Washington.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Leslie Adler)

I mean its like with the new Air Force One or the tanker deal - they could have either the best plane or the American plane! ;)

Reaper said:
I mean its like with the new Air Force One or the tanker deal - they could have either the best plane or the American plane! ;)

All three could have been built at the Airbus production line in Mobile, AL and Airbus Group, Inc. is a United States subsidiary of Airbus Group so I don't understand the aircraft isn't American argument against them.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/a400m-crashes-on-take-off-from-seville-airport-412137/

An Airbus A400M airlifter crashed shortly after take-off on 9 May from the San Pablo Airport in Seville, Spain, according to reports.

Airport officials tweeted that the airport was closed as firefighters attended to an accident beyond the facility’s enclosure. Spain’s prime minister also reportedly confirmed that an A400M crashed, killing a crew of eight to 10 people on board.

Pictures of the accident scene on social media located the wreck about 1nm (1.9km) north of the airport near a Coca Cola facility.

That would place the crash site on a direct bearing with diagonal runway at San Pablo airport, but it is not known which runway was used by the A400M for take-off.

The crash marks the first fatal incident involving the A400M in the programme’s 5.5-year flight history.

It comes as Airbus has recently restructured the programme following a series of production delays. In January, Airbus replaced the head of the military division that produces the airlifter with Fernando Alonso, formerly head of flight test operations. One month later, Airbus announced taking a €551 million ($620 million) fourth quarter charge due to the production problems.

From infos, the crew radioed a technical problem just after took off and was trying an emergency landing when the aircraft struck a powerline.

BBC report: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32673713

current info on Crash
4 death, 2 seriously injured.
According Data got the A400M in technical problems and Pilot try to return the aircraft back to airport, but cash near by.
the A400M production code MSN 23 was on first test flight. if had to deliver to Turkish Air-force as third A400M

The German Air-force declare in statement to Stop all test flight of there single A400M unit further notice
also Ministry of Defense in Britain grounded there two A400M

Source
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/airbus-a400m-militaerflugzeug-in-spanien-abgestuerzt-a-1032993.html
http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/national/12941214.MoD_suspends_two_planes_after_crash/

RIP !!!

This Image is from the Key-Forum ... :eek:

Attachments

• A400M crash near Sevilla - 9.5.15 - 1.jpg
    A400M crash near Sevilla - 9.5.15 - 1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 580
about those parallel burn marks on right of wreckage (see Picture in Deino post)
According latest news the A400M hit High voltage lines prior the crash

Airbus can't catch a break...

Not their fault, but it's been a rough couple of months for Airbus. They've had six (6) hull losses since March.

March: Turkish A330
March: German Wings A320
March: Air Canada A320
April: Turkish A320
April: Asiana A320
May: Factory A400M