Air to air missile data link

Ronny

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
What frequency do AIM-120, Meteor use for datalink?
do they use Link-16?

What frequency do AIM-120, Meteor use for datalink?
do they use Link-16?
X-band. It's invariably tied to the fighter FCR which is a very good LPI/LPD, directional datalink transmitter
and for the more recent A2A missiles, receiver.

Attachments

• Optimization of electronic protection testing for the F_A-18 acti (1).pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 90
Dated but a good background.
I have a question, technically speaking, can you guide an air to air missile to hit a ground target by datalink?

Sure. JDRADM and T3 tried to do this. And most of the low-and-slow targeting with A2A missiles looks like
an A2G profile; AIM-9X Block II has an air-to-surface mode.

Sure. JDRADM and T3 tried to do this. And most of the low-and-slow targeting with A2A missiles looks like
JDRADM and T3 was designed to hit ground target so their seeker could be different
AIM-9X has an IIR seeker so not exactly comparable
I mean using only datalink on fast missile like AIM-120 and Meteor, could they be directed to hit ground asset?

JDRADM and T3 was designed to hit ground target so their seeker could be different
AIM-9X has an IIR seeker so not exactly comparable
I mean using only datalink on fast missile like AIM-120 and Meteor, could they be directed to hit ground asset?
Do you mean without the active seeker? Just inflight target updates to within the vicinity of the target and
then rely on body-to-body contact or proximity fuzing?

Do you mean without the active seeker? Just inflight target updates to within the vicinity of the target and
yes, that what I mean. Because, I don't think the seeker of Meteor and AIM-120 can lock on ground target

yes, that what I mean. Because, I don't think the seeker of Meteor and AIM-120 can lock on ground target

I'm not sure if they have a mode that suppresses the active seeker at the end of midcourse;
the proximity fuze is typically enabled by the seeker

I'm not sure if they have a mode that suppresses the active seeker at the end of midcourse;
the proximity fuze is typically enabled by the seeker
I think the seeker can be keep on, just that it wont have any effect

It's just that proximity fuzing tends to be tightly coupled to the seeker so they can enable it late enough to avoid
being influenced by clutter...ground clutter in this case.

I suppose if you had an FCR that can get can good positional uplinks at high rates from the missile and
the aircraft sensors have a fire control quality track on the ground target.

Isn't the target detection device separated from the active seeker? But in any case I don't think AIM-120 could be used at a ground target unless that was a mode specifically enabled in the two way datalink variants. At a minimum I think it would require some fusing changes.

Isn't the target detection device separated from the active seeker? But in any case I don't think AIM-120 could be used at a ground target unless that was a mode specifically enabled in the two way datalink variants. At a minimum I think it would require some fusing changes.

Active seekers tend to range gate the TDD so that it doesn't detect clutter.

Active seekers tend to range gate the TDD so that it doesn't detect clutter.
Is there a good set of resources that describe the ways in which targeting information is passed around on the battlefield today? I.e. what is the current structure that JADC2 is designed to replace?

Back
Top Bottom