Air Force Legends: Northrop YF-23 ATF by Paul Metz

lansei

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Good morning,

Just want to share this book here. I don't know when it is going to be released.

ISBN/Box 0942612..., Series Air Force Legend Nr 220, Publisher Ginter, Author Paul Metz, Format a4, No. Pages 50, Version sb, Language English

Attachments

• 139977_0.jpg
    139977_0.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 898
I hope he lives long enough to be able to write the No Holds Barred F-22A/YF-23 comparison.

I am just glad that someone who is formerly associated with the YF-23 has written a book about it.

Only 50 pages? Fingers crossed for a good development story and not only a pure modeller monographic.

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a must buy. :) That design (The prototype) is almost thirty years old now, and it still looks like the future.

The pagecount posted is quite wrong.

Several forum members were involved in production and you can expect it to be as accurate and detailed as possible.

The irony is that Paul Metz was also the LM test pilot for the first flights of the F-22 Raptor!

From Facebook Group "to The Greatest Planes That Never Were"

Aldo Spadoni‎
Yesterday at 10:25 · Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, United States ·
Coming soon from Ginter Books, the long awaited Northrop YF-23 Advanced Tactical Fighter book, by test pilot Paul Metz and Bill Rogers.

This book will contain some never-before-published illustrations I created back during the Engineering & Manufacturing Development proposal phase. I also contributed to the program as an Avionics engineer and had engineering responsibility for writing some of the avionics technical sections of the EMD proposal. Looking forward to this book!

The pagecount posted is quite wrong.

Several forum members were involved in production and you can expect it to be as accurate and detailed as possible.

Waiting for it

PaulMM (Overscan) said:

Aldo Spadoni‎
Coming soon from Ginter Books, the long awaited Northrop YF-23 Advanced Tactical Fighter book, by test pilot Paul Metz and Bill Rogers.

This book will contain some never-before-published illustrations I created back during the Engineering & Manufacturing Development proposal phase. I also contributed to the program as an Avionics engineer and had engineering responsibility for writing some of the avionics technical sections of the EMD proposal. Looking forward to this book!

Now you got me excited!

Ogami musashi said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

Aldo Spadoni‎

Now you got me excited!

Me too! ;D

The book is completed and at the printers as we speak.

The following has been release by Steve Ginter:

Air Force Legends Number 220, Northrop YF-23 ATF

By Paul Metz, Northrop’s Chief Test Pilot for the YF-23 program.

All color, 153-pages, 314 color photos, 5 b&w photos, 69 illustrations.

Retail price $49.95

ISBN-13: 978-0-9892583-7-1
ISBN-10: 0-9892583-7-8

"The Northrop YF-23 stealth fighter was evaluated with the Lockheed YF-22. Two aircraft were built, PAV-1 and PAV-2. The Chief Test Pilot for the program was Paul Metz, the author of this book. Although the YF-22 was eventually chosen for production, the YF-23 ATF proved to be a very capable and superb example of Low Observable (LO) fighter technology. This book covers origins of the ATF requirement, other manufacturers submissions including alternate Northrop designs, RFI phase May 1981 to May 1982, CDI phase May 1983 to May 1984, ATF DEM/VAL phase 1986 through 1991, Northrop ATF evolution 1971-1986, ATF team, construction, flight test program, engines, summary and selection, NATF proposal, F/B-23 proposal, aircraft nuts-and-bolts, where are they now, program patches, YF-23 pilots, and YF-23 models."

Order direct from http://www.ginterbooks.com for fastest delivery :)

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Order direct from http://www.ginterbooks.com for fastest delivery :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear on Ginter's website yet.

This is great news.
Finally a book solely on my favorite aircraft of all time written by probably the person we want to hear about it talk the most.

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to get this book. Always wanted to read about this awesome jet.

The book is now available, but for non US buyers it is not user friendly at all. You have to fill the order form and make an international money order....
Is there any other way?

Ogami musashi said:
The book is now available, but for non US buyers it is not user friendly at all. You have to fill the order form and make an international money order....
Is there any other way?

Have you considered this? https://www.aviationmegastore.com/northrop-yf-23a-atf-0942612-ginter-nfaf220-x-planes-usa/product/?action=prodinfo&art=139977

Ogami musashi said:
Is there any other way?

Given time, his books usually show up on Amazon.

Steve ginter told me the book will be available in two weeks and then it will be sent to some stores in europe so i could get it from them.

Just a reminder that ordering directly through Steve's site means he doesn't have to split any of the sale through Amazon and its ilk.

I ordered two directly from Mr. Ginter about two weeks ago, I've been sitting on the mailbox ever since ;D ;)

Some quickie page shots...

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 208
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 422
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 528
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 541
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 533
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 539
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 201
Wow, any chance they'll sell models of all the YF-23 design proposals? I see three: the DP110, Northrop's RFP submission; YF-23 PAV that actually flew; and finally DP232 which appears to be the EMD submission. I'd love to have a set as shown in the book.

Unfortunately it appears that the website for the book is down at the moment.

Specialty Press has it as a forthcoming title, available in December. Seen it on a few hobby store websites as well. This may have to be the next one I track down.

I ordered mine at aviation megastore in netherlands. It is scheduled for tomorrow delivery

I just got done ordering mine thru amazon seller Sprue Brothers Models. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Have recieved mine, didn't have time to read it yet but just checked the F-23A part, wow so many new illustrations and models! The rest seem ultra detailed as well. Definitely a must buy for any YF-23 lover.

As good as it gets. Very well put-together, with lots of previously unknown (to me) material. There will never be a need for another F-23 book.

When they say "never before published photos," they ain't kidding. Outstanding.

When you combine this with the existing work on Code One, APR, and the Al Piccirillo book on the ATF, you'll have as complete a picture of the ATF program as you could want.

Yeah, this book covers a lot of the development work and design studies leading to the YF-23. I was shocked by finding out what the final Rockwell submission looked like in this book; finally! This is another must have book.

Mine should be delivered today. I haven't been this amused by an inbound book for a while!

Back
Top Bottom