Agusta A.101-G triple-engine helicopter project......

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an artist's impression with a caption in French of an early version of the Agusta A.101-G helicopter "project" with three Turboméca Turmo engines (like the Sud Aviation SE.3200 Frelon). It was originally designated the Agusta-Zappata AZ.101-G and (apparently) through some long-winded process (that I don't understand) finally led to the design of the Agusta-Westland EH-101 Merlin helicopter......

The picture comes from the 27th June 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Agusta-Zappata AZ.101-G helicopter project - Les Ailes - No. 1,735 - 27 Juin 1959.......jpg
    Agusta-Zappata AZ.101-G helicopter project - Les Ailes - No. 1,735 - 27 Juin 1959.......jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 750
I dont think, Therry, that the helicopter designed by Eng. Filippo Zappata (the same of Cant...) was connected with the EH-101. The A.101G or AZ.101 was developed during sixties foreseeing a requirement from the army and/ore the air force. The EH-101, instead, was based on the Westland WG.34 project for the Royal Navy that bore only a some point of contact with A.101 and even the number in the designation, in my opinion, was the same only by chance...
Nico

Nico said:
I dont think, Therry, that the helicopter designed by Eng. Filippo Zappata (the same of Cant...) was connected with the EH-101. The A.101G or AZ.101 was developed during sixties foreseeing a requirement from the army and/ore the air force. The EH-101, instead, was based on the Westland WG.34 project for the Royal Navy that bore only a some point of contact with A.101 and even the number in the designation, in my opinion, was the same only by chance...
Nico

Dear Nico, I'm not sure I believe the Agusta A.101-G is directly related to the Agusta-Westland EH-101 Merlin and I'm sorry to say that I can't find where I read this. I recall it is something to do with the design of the triple engine transmission/gearbox/systems via the Agusta A.101-H "project"......

toura said:
And also the 101 H

Dear Toura, the Agusta A.101-H "project" (which is a larger, later "project") is here:-

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10982.msg103431.html#msg103431

Terry (Caravellarella)

Choppers are all about power trains. Sikorsky got theirs right in 1957 on (to be) S.61/H-3. That fed its way into their S.58 licencee, Sud-Avn., who drew upon if for Frelon. I have a note that Agusta was involved (though they did not licence it until c.1972). This 101 passed through several engine notions, inc. Gnome 1400 (GE T.58), before Italian Govt. dumped it for HH-3F.

Boeing CH-47 was licenced by Meridionali (taken over by Agusta) and it was that experience that was valued in the JV (to be) EHI. Let us not forget that Agusta's original design track-record was little more than this 101...but Westland in 1979 had only Belvedere and (in JV) Lynx.

alertken said:
Choppers are all about power trains. Sikorsky got theirs right in 1957 on (to be) S.61/H-3. That fed its way into their S.58 licencee, Sud-Avn., who drew upon if for Frelon. I have a note that Agusta was involved (though they did not licence it until c.1972). This 101 passed through several engine notions, inc. Gnome 1400 (GE T.58), before Italian Govt. dumped it for HH-3F.

Boeing CH-47 was licenced by Meridionali (taken over by Agusta) and it was that experience that was valued in the JV (to be) EHI. Let us not forget that Agusta's original design track-record was little more than this 101...but Westland in 1979 had only Belvedere and (in JV) Lynx.

Thank you again alertken for another "shorthand" analysis. It would be very surprising if the Agusta A.101-G had contributed to the Agusta-Westland EH-101 Merlin in any way given the astonishing length of time it took for Agusta to develop the Agusta A.101-G; and you are quite right that this was the only previous large Italian helicopter design that Agusta could draw any experience from......

toura said:
Thanks my dear Terry
Paul

Dear Toura, I've just realised that the pictures you have posted are of the De Havilland/Bristol-Siddeley Gnome-powered Agusta A.101-G prototype and not the Turboméca Turmo-powered original Agusta A.101-G "project"......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Dear Terry.
i've verifyed..your right and more, I've not the
original az 101 !
But now I've yours

Reading this thread reminded me of a visit to the Caproni Aircraft Museum in Trento during the summer of 1995.

Outside, in a sorry state, was the fuselage of MM80358 marked as an Agusta A.101G.

Attachments

• Agusta_A.101G_MM80358_CY_S10_ Image.jpg
    Agusta_A.101G_MM80358_CY_S10_ Image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 277
Caravellarella said:
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an artist's impression with a caption in French of an early version of the Agusta A.101-G helicopter "project" with three Turboméca Turmo engines (like the Sud Aviation SE.3200 Frelon). It was originally designated the Agusta-Zappata AZ.101-G and (apparently) through some long-winded process (that I don't understand) finally led to the design of the Agusta-Westland EH-101 Merlin helicopter......

The picture comes from the 27th June 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

My dear Caravellarella;

the Agusta A.101G is not a Project,but the picture you showed it to us was the
Agusta A.101D,a Project for medium single rotor helicopter of classic fuselage
and boom configuration with 27-pax capacity and powered by three 750 shp.
Turbomeca Turmo III turboshafts.

Last edited:
This is the first time I see it.
It looks like a sort of unguided rocket launcher system.
It would be difficult to fly with those strange arrangement on the nose....

As it's not referenced anywhere here, and seems relevant to the earlier discussion of whether the A-101 and EH 101 are linked, there were fairly strong rumours during EH 101 development that the name was supposed to have been EHI-01 (EHI = European Helicopter Industries), but became EH 101 due to a typo.

Could just be a method of carrying long lengths of pipe

Yup.

Le dessin ci-dessous fait appareitre une des possibilites de chargement de la version «cargo» de l'A-101 G donnees par le constructeur. ...

"The drawing below shows one of the loading possibilities of the 'cargo' version of the A-101 G given by the manufacturer ..."

Attachments

• Agusta A.101.jpg
    Agusta A.101.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 118
  • Agusta A.101 pre-flight.jpg
    Agusta A.101 pre-flight.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Agusta A101.jpg
    Agusta A101.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 116
the Agusta A.101G is not a Project,but the picture you showed it to us was the
Agusta A.101D,a Project for medium single rotor helicopter of classic fuselage
and boom configuration with 27-pax capacity and powered by three 750 shp.
Turbomeca Turmo III turboshafts.

From Aeroplane 1958.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 108