Aeronca 50 Chief

Ceorl

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm interested in aircraft impressed for service with the RAF and Commonwealth air forces during WW2, I believe at least one 50 Chief was impressed in India but don't have any information other than that at present. A lengthy search of the Internet hasn't paid off so if anyone has more information (a three-view would also be great!) or can post a link, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Possible.
Aeronca flew the Chief prototype in 1938. It was built in both tandem and side-by-side seating versions.
Tandem seater models are more often referred to as O-58 or L-3 Defenders, most of which were used as trainers in the USA. A few L-3s flew in Italy, North Africa and at least one flew in Normandy.
During WW2, Aeronca built 279 Super Chiefs (s-b-s) , most of which were impressed into USAAF service. Super Chiefs had Continental A-65 engines.

Aeronca resumed civilian production and built 8,000 Chiefs between 1945 and 1951. Post war Super Chiefs are distinguished by extended vertical fins.

Far more likely that the airplane in question was built post-war in India.
Hindustan Aeronautics licensed - Aeronca Super Chief - production and made about 160 HUL-26 Pushpaks between 1958 and 1968. Pushpaks can be identified by their different rudder profile.

Last edited:
Possible.
Aeronca flew the Chief prototype in 1938. It was built in both tandem and side-by-side seating versions.
Tandem seater models are more often referred to as O-58 or L-3 Defenders, most of which were used as trainers in the USA. A few L-3s flew in Italy, North Africa and at least one flew in Normandy.
During WW2, Aeronca built 279 Super Chiefs s-b-s) , most of which were impressed into USAAF service. Super Chiefs had Continental A-65 engines.

Aeronca resumed civilian production and built 8,000 Chiefs between 1945 and 1951. Post war Super Chiefs are distinguished by extended vertical fins.

Far more likely that the airplane in question was built post-war in India.
Hindustan Aeronautics licensed - Aeronca Super Chief - production and made about 160 HUL-26 Pushpaks between 1958 and 1968. Pushpaks can be identified by their different rudder profile.

Many thanks for the reply, the only reference I have is on Wikipedia and unfortunately their source points to a dead link on the RAF website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force#Civil_aircraft

Would you say it's probably a mistake and the aircraft was employed post-War?

Are you aware of any three-view drawings of a 50 Chief by the way?

The Burma Volunteer Air Force operated a single Aeronca 11AC Chief from Nov 1940 to Nov 1943. By April 1942, the BVAF Comms Flight had pulled back to Dum Dum (Calcutta). Could that have been your 'Indian' Aeronca?

Many thanks Apophenia that's interesting, however the Aeronca 11AC Chief didn't enter production until 1945.

It does seems likely in view of the BVAF Comms Flight being withdrawn to Dum Dum that this is the Aeronca aircraft in question, but that it was a 50 Chief.

Last edited: