Aerodynamics Question for the Wing Experts: Ugrinsky or Revolving-Wing?

AnnaM

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi,

I am undergraduate engineering student.

I asked this question on 2 different engineering forums but got very strange and unhelpful replies.

So I thought I would try the AIRCRAFT experts here. = )

There are 2 mysterious VAWT wind turbine designs floating on the Internet.

The Ugrinsky VAWT and the Revolving-Wing VAWT.

UGRINSKY:

View: https://youtu.be/_5nz78vkGCE

REVOLVING-WING:

Question: Which of these 2 has the superior aerodynamics?

Couldn't get a straight answer at all on the engineering forums, so I am hoping that some aerodynamics buffs here can answer this.

Anna

Hi,

I am undergraduate engineering student.

I asked this question on 2 different engineering forums but got very strange and unhelpful replies.

So I thought I would try the AIRCRAFT experts here. = )

There are 2 mysterious VAWT wind turbine designs floating on the Internet.

The Ugrinsky VAWT and the Revolving-Wing VAWT.

UGRINSKY:

View: https://youtu.be/_5nz78vkGCE

REVOLVING-WING:

Question: Which of these 2 has the superior aerodynamics?

Couldn't get a straight answer at all on the engineering forums, so I am hoping that some aerodynamics buffs here can answer this.

Anna
You're not going to get a "straight answer" because the "right" answer depends on a factors that are situation-dependent.

I’m not an aerodynamic expert, but I’m an engineer and I do understand the way engineers are thinking. Just by looking on two Youtube videos, no one can say which type of the two rather similar turbines will be more efficient (surely not the one with the cages….).

I guess you are the inventor of that thing and you are searching for experts who will tell you how great your invention is. I f you already have a spinning prototype, just add an electric generator on it and measure the torque/rpm and the windspeed (can easily be done with water filled U-tubes). With this information you can calculate the efficiency. As an engineering student this would be a good learning process on developing.

If the results are encouraging, go on and try to convince somebody with your measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe kite/balloon borne rotors to feed off rotors atop mountains.

Generate power and reduce turbulence?

IIRC, tall, horizontal axis designs generally stand clear of boundary layer effects, increasing efficiency at cost of infrastructure.

Until recently, vertical axis designs, though requiring significantly less infrastructure, foundations plus aerial. were plagued by inability to 'feather' or 'reef' in high winds. I've recently seen one that furls / unfurls like inverted umbrella. Vague resemblance to centrifugal steam-governor...

FWIW, vertical axis designs seem to eat less birds, generate much less flicker and are much less unsightly. This may allow location along eg bay-barrage or sea-wall where tall horizontal axis designs would be problematic.

But, is trade between efficiency, life-cost and accessibility. Having rows of thrumming moai might prove unacceptable...

Isn't the Ugrinsky just a variation of the Flettner design . . . ?

cheers,
Robin.