A V-tail B-52 bomber?

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Just found this on the site DeviantART, of which I'm a member. The author of this image says:

"Is this a fictitious design? I can't find any information on this aircraft. Impressive design, though."

3d4779c13c4d9034a360fe18a607a03b.png

Could it be he was inspired by some real Boeing sketch? Or is this pure fantasy?

I think it's pure fantasy but not so far for real Boeing B-52 XXI Century updates

Take a look:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,245.0.html

It looks like an artist rendering of an aircraft from Dale Brown's Dreamland books. I think he had another B-52 configured with delta wings and no tail - a delta wing B-1 as well.

It looks like a half-way variant between a real-life BUFF and the "Megafortress" from Dale Brown's novels. Notice there's no pointed SST-style nose and the wings don't carry AIM-120 pylons. Also, the "Megafortress" was never described as having upturned wingtips.

What's the red thing under it's chin? Is it a duct, or forward looking TV sensors?

I vaguely recall hearing of a proposal to re-engine the B-52 with four VERY large turbofans in place of the eight engines it currently carries (no, I can't remember where, dammit!) but I don't think a V tail was talked of.

Come to think of it, has ANY successful military aircraft ever had a V tail?

pathology_doc said:

Yes ;)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

Attachments

• Fouga_magister.jpg
    Fouga_magister.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 92
There have been quite a few proposals to re-engine the BUFF at various times but it always comes own to cost. Apparently there is a large stockpile of B-52 engines. Here's some images of big engines BUFFs.

The first has a TF-39 engine installed under the right wing. If anyone has pictures of it flying that would be great.
The next 2 images are artist depictions of Jumbo B-52s.
And finally a photoshopped Megafortress that looks like it's straight out of a Dale Brown book.

Attachments

• Boeing JB-52E (SN 57-0119) right wing with TF-39 installed 061127-F-1234S-027.jpg
    Boeing JB-52E (SN 57-0119) right wing with TF-39 installed 061127-F-1234S-027.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Big Fan.JPG
    Big Fan.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 175
  • B 52 With A Turbofan.JPG
    B 52 With A Turbofan.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Megafortress.JPG
    Megafortress.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 221
There has been one successful v-tailed military aircraft...the F-117, anybody?

And the megafortress pic was originally from Dale Brown's website. Nic pic.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a V Tail?

I always wondered so myself, considering that Beechcraft, for instance, used both on their Bonanza aircraft and both worked fine. I guess it must be used to improve stability on aircraft such as the F-117 that didn't have horizontal stabilizers, but other than that, I sure could do with tips from an expert on that point... Anyone?

I'm no engineer, but entirely from an aerospace enthusiasts' POV, the F-117's v-tail was for stealth purposes. The angling was just part of the design's tendency to deflect radar. Now you compare that to a standard BUFF's tail, sticking straight up at a 90 deg angle, which just reflects radar like it's nobody's business.

Lauge said:
pathology_doc said:

Yes ;)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

Of course. Stupid me. *Facepalm*

For some reason I've always interpreted the F-117 tail as twin canted vertical stabilizers with a delta wing. Again, *facepalm*.

From Air Force 1992/4.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    609.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 94