A-4 Skyhawk: Thermal Cockpit Shield

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I remember seeing a picture of an A-4E with a thermal shield in the cockpit for nuke delivery. My question is, is that one of the reasons why the A-4's cockpit is so cramped?

I would assume the TA-4's didn't have these (the kind used as a generic USN fighter trainer)

KJ Lesnick

So, even with the thermal-shield, if the plane had a more normal-sized cockpit would have been able to accomodate the same size pilot as a normal-sized cockpit *without* the thermal cockpit-shield?

Kendra Lesnick
BTW: I'm working on an A-4 WHIF

The thermal shield took a little off the headroom, say an inch or less clearance with the interior of the canopy and another inch or more for the depth of the nesting panels that made up the shield. At some butt to head distance (even people of the same height differ), a pilot who had enough headroom with the shield retracted would be in the way when it deployed. The Skyhawk may not even have had a height adjustment on the seat itself - just different depth seat cushions and rudder pedal adjustment.

Some TA-4s had a "bag" in the aft seat to close off the view for instrument training but none would have had a thermal shield.

Tailspin Turtle said:
The thermal shield took a little off the headroom, say an inch or less clearance with the interior of the canopy and another inch or more for the depth of the nesting panels that made up the shield. At some butt to head distance (even people of the same height differ), a pilot who had enough headroom with the shield retracted would be in the way when it deployed. The Skyhawk may not even have had a height adjustment on the seat itself - just different depth seat cushions and rudder pedal adjustment.

Why didn't they just put a height-adjustment on the seat? Putting in new seat-cushions sounds like it would take considerable time to do this...

So the thermal shield would put height restrictions on the pilot on the most extreme end I'd guess compared to a regular fighter without such a heat-shield?

Some TA-4s had a "bag" in the aft seat to close off the view for instrument training but none would have had a thermal shield.

That makes sense.

KJ_Lesnick

To Tailspin Turtle,

Whoops, I misread the statement

The Skyhawk may not even have had a height adjustment on the seat itself - just different depth seat cushions and rudder pedal adjustment.

I thought you said it didn't flat out not it may not have had.

KJ Lesnick
BTW: Does anybody know whether it had any height-adjustment on the seat?

this from 'combat aircraft designer', heinemann/rausa, Janes,

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 55
Robunos,

I don't understand what context that quote pertains to...

KJ

oops, :-X there should have been another quote to go with it, it was late when i was posting, and i decided to scan and attach, rather than re-typing.

here goes again, :-\

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 66
I understand how Myers felt -- I'm only a about an inch (maybe an inch and a half?) shorter than him...

KJ Lesnick