• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

1960's era US Army Articulated Armored Vehicles

Matt_Fisher

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for information on a program that the US Army was doing R&D work in for a family of articulated hull armoured vehicles. I remember seeing some photos of a proposed recce scout car version, and believe there were other variants proposed.

Cheers,

Matt

smurf

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
does this help?
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1844.0/highlight,lockheed+twister.html
The other load carrier programme was the Gama Goat

Matt_Fisher

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. It would be interesting to see if any of the current manufacturers would ever adapt the Twister concept into something more MRAP related with a V shaped armoured hull built to withstand pressure plate IEDs and AT mines.

amsci99

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Matt_Fisher said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. It would be interesting to see if any of the current manufacturers would ever adapt the Twister concept into something more MRAP related with a V shaped armoured hull built to withstand pressure plate IEDs and AT mines.

The Hagglunds BV-206 and ST Kinetics Bronco, not wheeled but tracked. Armoured but does not have 'V' hulls. Not sure of the later versions though.

JohnR

Reaction score
What was the advantage of the articulate vehicles over a conventional one?

smurf

Reaction score
JohnR have a look at the Test Report links, in the link in the link I posted above, if you follow me.
speed over rough terrain was one aim. I think low silhouette another. I have seen a video of the Twister at speed over rough ground - very impressive.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
smurf said:
does this help?
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1844.0/highlight,lockheed+twister.html
The other load carrier programme was the Gama Goat

According to the U.S Army's official history of the TOW missile program, the Gama Goat (then the XM-561) was intended to be one of the primary vehicles (alongside the M113) to be equipped with the TOW system. However, they had trouble devising a firing platform for the XM-561 (I suspect that budgetary issues of the time [late 1960s] had something to do with that) so the M-561 ended up being a carrier for infantry TOW teams alongside it's other roles.

Images below via Wikimedia Commons.

XM561_Gama_Goat_in_difficult_terrain_c1965.jpg

XM561_driving_in_water_c1965.jpg

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Most Gama Goats were operated by the United States Marine Corps.
Gama Goats had great mobility in rough and muddy terrain because they kept more rubber in contact than any other wheeled vehicle.
Land Rover also offered a powered trailer for a few years. The trailer's two wheels were driven off the rear powered shaft. That shaft was originally designed to power winches, etc.
The goal of all these articulated chassis was to keep the maximum number of wheels in contact with the ground when driving across rough ground. That is also why they had such wide tires and deep treads.
The goal was to achieve the same cross-country mobility as tracked vehicles, but quieter, lighter and as easy to maintain as wheeled vehicles.