1945 Short SA4 Long range Bomber

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
There is a drawing dated 16.12.45 in Tony Buttler's British Secret Projects Jet Bombers since 1949 (P15) of the 'Short SA4 six-engined long range bomber (not the later SA4 Sperrin I must add).

This had a wingspan of 154ft, a length and 128.6ft, wing area 3,615 sq ft and was powered by 6 AJ65's and a range of 5,000 miles using 6,000gallons fuel. The book says a 2,120lb payload but that must be a typo??

What impact does a successful LR bomber have on the later V-bombers - its more expensive but more capable in terms of range.

What kind of range would you expect if the AJ65's were replaced by Whittle's LR1 turbofan?

The V-bombers more of less fell within the same medium bomber category as the B-47. From what I've read, there was a degree of early planning for a true heavy bomber, but it is clear that the funding was absent. Personally, I'd argue that all three V-bombers, and especially the Vulcan and Victor, were entirely superior to the B-47, but they also were far later aircraft, with far superior turbojet technology and perhaps somewhat over thought aerodynamics.

I also believe that if the United States had mistakenly pursued 3 separate medium bomber programs equivalent to the B-47, there most likely would have been a funding gap when it came time to procure the B-52 as a B-36 replacement.

TinWing said:
The V-bombers more of less fell within the same medium bomber category as the B-47. From what I've read, there was a degree of early planning for a true heavy bomber, but it is clear that the funding was absent. Personally, I'd argue that all three V-bombers, and especially the Vulcan and Victor, were entirely superior to the B-47, but they also were far later aircraft, with far superior turbojet technology and perhaps somewhat over thought aerodynamics.

I also believe that if the United States had mistakenly pursued 3 separate medium bomber programs equivalent to the B-47, there most likely would have been a funding gap when it came time to procure the B-52 as a B-36 replacement.

Bomber Commands chosen route of a Support Force based on the V1000 is often overlooked with its Tankers, Radio Warfare and logistical support for global deployment

What does the Short SA4 look like?

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom